What do I need to know about coronavirus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how that graph compares with incidence of obesity with age. Not many people with BMI of 40 make to 65+ (at least anecdotally).

Members don't see this ad.

Obesity Makes COVID-19 Severe In The Young

7F80483C-E777-4ACE-9ACC-2722CD38D491.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Obesity Makes COVID-19 Severe In The Young

What is the #1 risk factor that makes one aged 18-49 at risk to be admitted to the hospital for severe COVID-19?

According to the 4/8/20 CDC MMWR, it's far and away obesity 59%, that puts those age 18-49 most at risk. For comparison, 39% of the US adult population is obese. It's an even greater risk factor that chronic lung disease (asthma, COPD, other) in this age group at 36%, diabetes (19%) or hypertension (17%). Since COVID-19 seems to primarily be a pneumonia affecting lung function and causing hypoxia, I'm surprise lung disease isn't far and away #1. Lung disease is the #2 risk factor, but obestity is far and away #1.

Medscape has a nice graph that sums it up:

Have you (or has anyone) seen any statistics on cancer patients and covid, such as how those with active malignancies are fairing if they contract covid? The only study I've seen is one from China that only examined 18 cancer patients. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone thinks everything is going to be so great once you get the 15 minute antibody test. I thought it was going to be so great. I was so thrilled.

My hospital got the 15 minute test TWO DAYS ago. Yesterday word got out to all the nursing homes and suddenly they are liquidating ALL of their people into our ED for any nonsense complaint they can. "pain" in a patient who is non-verbal after TBI and completely motionless and silent in the ED. "reported febrile by prior shift" with no listed number. "cough" on a patient who is denying it and showing no symptoms. I just got a "failure to thrive" on a patient who spent the last few days as an inpatient here and was discharged roughly 18 hours ago. How in the world do you have enough time in 18 hours to fail to thrive, especially when the baseline is vegetative state.

They all have in common that the nursing home will refuse them back until we report the result of "the 15 minute test." A hospital in our community is reporting the nursing homes for this behavior - they've just shifted all the testing to our site because our leadership (nursing and admin, not ED) doesn't want to cause a rift with the local nursing homes.

• Wow
  • Angry
Have you (or has anyone) seen any statistics on cancer patients and covid, such as how those with active malignancies are fairing if they contract covid? The only study I've seen is one from China that only examined 18 cancer patients. Thanks
It's from China also, but CDC 4/3/20 CDC published a risk factor paper of 122,000 patients. Cancer is listed as a minor risk factor in the 4th footnote, under "other chronic disease." Apparently cancer by itself wasn't a big enough risk factor to be its own category. In that paper, "other chronic diseased" was the #1 risk factor with diabetes #2. Obesity was also in that category.

Reactions: 1 user
I've only seen the one you mentioned. But there was this one about infection rates in cancer patients in JAMA Oncology this week as well (also not a large study).

The take-home here is that the infection rate in cancer patients was double the general population. But they also went to the hospital at an increased rate, suggesting the hospital during a virulent viral outbreak is the worst possible place for a cancer patient to go. Which isn't really that different from an average Tuesday.

Obesity, hyperinsulinemia, and chronic inflammation are all intricately linked. The cure is eating in a manner that suppresses insulin (or, in the case of the obese person, not eating anything at all).

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Everyone thinks everything is going to be so great once you get the 15 minute antibody test. I thought it was going to be so great. I was so thrilled.

My hospital got the 15 minute test TWO DAYS ago. Yesterday word got out to all the nursing homes and suddenly they are liquidating ALL of their people into our ED for any nonsense complaint they can. "pain" in a patient who is non-verbal after TBI and completely motionless and silent in the ED. "reported febrile by prior shift" with no listed number. "cough" on a patient who is denying it and showing no symptoms. I just got a "failure to thrive" on a patient who spent the last few days as an inpatient here and was discharged roughly 18 hours ago. How in the world do you have enough time in 18 hours to fail to thrive, especially when the baseline is vegetative state.

They all have in common that the nursing home will refuse them back until we report the result of "the 15 minute test." A hospital in our community is reporting the nursing homes for this behavior - they've just shifted all the testing to our site because our leadership (nursing and admin, not ED) doesn't want to cause a rift with the local nursing homes.

This is why I could never do emergency medicine. Dealing with this sort of nonsense day in and day out would be infuriating.

It's from China also, but CDC 4/3/20 CDC published a risk factor paper of 122,000 patients. Cancer is listed as a minor risk factor in the 4th footnote, under "other chronic disease." Apparently cancer by itself wasn't a big enough risk factor to be its own category. In that paper, "other chronic diseased" was the #1 risk factor with diabetes #2. Obesity was also in that category.
Thank you!

I've only seen the one you mentioned. But there was this one about infection rates in cancer patients in JAMA Oncology this week as well (also not a large study).

The take-home here is that the infection rate in cancer patients was double the general population. But they also went to the hospital at an increased rate, suggesting the hospital during a virulent viral outbreak is the worst possible place for a cancer patient to go. Which isn't really that different from an average Tuesday.
Thanks!

So I came across a psych nurse and Psychiatrist receiving praise from a bunch of Starbucks employees and was even granted a free cup of coffee for the both of them. Both of them had scrubs on and a white coat (yes even the nurse had a white coat). And they willingly accepted the praise and compliments for their fight against this Chinese Coronavirus!!!

I kind of just sat back and wondered to myself... “Is this what Military Veterans consider to be Stolen Valor” lol... Anyways was just kind of the chuckle I needed as I sat back and watched these two “frontliners” who probably don’t even know how to donn and doff PPE sit back and take the fame!!! Regardless hope everyone is staying safe out there and fighting the good fight.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I came across a psych nurse and Psychiatrist receiving praise from a bunch of Starbucks employees and was even granted a free cup of coffee for the both of them. Both of them had scrubs on and a white coat (yes even the nurse had a white coat). And they willingly accepted the praise and compliments for their fight against this Chinese Coronavirus!!!

I kind of just sat back and wondered to myself... “Is this what Military Veterans consider to be Stolen Valor” lol... Anyways was just kind of the chuckle I needed as I sat back and watched these two “frontliners” who probably don’t even know how to donn and doff PPE sit back and take the fame!!! Regardless hope everyone is staying safe out there and fighting the good fight.
Thank you for what you're doing.

• Haha
That’s ridiculous.

Gotta admit I kind of feel like a fraud too these days though.... restaurants delivering all sorts of food to the “heroes” in the ED, people doing all sorts of things for us. Meanwhile we’re actually just sitting around socializing in between seeing like 0.01 pph, and down to seeing maybe 1 or 2 Covid patients a day if that.
Your 1-2 COVID patients per day is probably more than I'm seeing and I'm not having to intubate them. Thank you, and everyone reading this, for what you're doing.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

That’s ridiculous.

Gotta admit I kind of feel like a fraud too these days though.... restaurants delivering all sorts of food to the “heroes” in the ED, people doing all sorts of things for us. Meanwhile we’re actually just sitting around socializing in between seeing like 0.01 pph, and down to seeing maybe 1 or 2 Covid patients a day if that.
Yes and no. I wouldn't call it stolen valor any more than a peacetime soldier getting the TYFYS line. It happens.

Factors associated with hospitalization and critical illness, COVID-19 in New York City

“Strongest hospitalization risks were age ≥75 years (OR 66.8, 95% CI, 44.7-102.6), age 65-74 (OR 10.9, 95% CI, 8.35-14.34), BMI>40 (OR 6.2, 95% CI, 4.2-9.3), and heart failure (OR 4.3 95% CI, 1.9-11.2). Strongest critical illness risks were admission oxygen saturation <88% (OR 6.99, 95% CI 4.5-11.0), d-dimer>2500 (OR 6.9, 95% CI, 3.2-15.2), ferritin >2500 (OR 6.9, 95% CI, 3.2-15.2), and C-reactive protein (CRP) >200 (OR 5.78, 95% CI, 2.6-13.8)."

"In the decision tree for admission, the most important features were age >65 and obesity;"

"for critical illness,
the most important was SpO2<88, followed by procalcitonin >0.5, troponin <0.1 (protective), age >64 and CRP>200.

Note to @precisiongraphic: If you go to the above link, click on the full "PDF" and go all the way to the tables 3& 4 at the bottom it lists cancer COVID-19 risk for hospitalization and critical illness. 1.24 times more likely to be admitted, 1.14 times more likely to be critical and therefore slightly higher risk, but nowhere near close to the worst risk factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Factors associated with hospitalization and critical illness, COVID-19 in New York City

“Strongest hospitalization risks were age ≥75 years (OR 66.8, 95% CI, 44.7-102.6), age 65-74 (OR 10.9, 95% CI, 8.35-14.34), BMI>40 (OR 6.2, 95% CI, 4.2-9.3), and heart failure (OR 4.3 95% CI, 1.9-11.2). Strongest critical illness risks were admission oxygen saturation <88% (OR 6.99, 95% CI 4.5-11.0), d-dimer>2500 (OR 6.9, 95% CI, 3.2-15.2), ferritin >2500 (OR 6.9, 95% CI, 3.2-15.2), and C-reactive protein (CRP) >200 (OR 5.78, 95% CI, 2.6-13.8)."

"In the decision tree for admission, the most important features were age >65 and obesity;"

"for critical illness,
the most important was SpO2<88, followed by procalcitonin >0.5, troponin <0.1 (protective), age >64 and CRP>200.

Note to @precisiongraphic: If you go to the above link, click on the full "PDF" and go all the way to the tables 3& 4 at the bottom it lists cancer COVID-19 risk for hospitalization and critical illness. 1.24 times more likely to be admitted, 1.14 times more likely to be critical and therefore slightly higher risk, but nowhere near close to the worst risk factor.

You guys are great, thanks again.

Yup. And I love it. Chick-fil-a delivered 120 sandwiches to our ER. I had one regular and once spicy.
It was just bread and chicken.
No fixins'

It was pretty good. Not awesome like some people say though.
No pickle? It's not a Chick-fil-a sando without the pickle. But as long as you stayed away from the nuggets, you'll be alright. Touch those once and you're a hopeless Chick-fil-a-Head for life.

Last edited:
Yup. And I love it. Chick-fil-a delivered 120 sandwiches to our ER. I had one regular and once spicy.
It was just bread and chicken.
No fixins'

It was pretty good. Not awesome like some people say though.

Bro you gotta eat it with a crazy amount of chick fil a sauce. Then its amazing

"for critical illness,

I could just be reading it wrong, but this seems somewhat oposite of what we've currently known? Elevated troponin would obviously be more critical, but a low or normal procalcitonin would be more indicative that it's actually Covid.

I could just be reading it wrong, but this seems somewhat oposite of what we've currently known? Elevated troponin would obviously be more critical, but a low or normal procalcitonin would be more indicative that it's actually Covid.

Consistent with prior data from China. Less sick patients have negative procalcitonin but it tends to be elevated in the sickest. Might suggest bacterial superinfection leading to more severe illness. Who knows?

The next 200 patients that come to see you, are there for a reason other than to be checked for COVID-19. You decide to test all 200 anyways. What percentage would you expect to test positive?

An OB/GYN group in New York recently did just that and 13% of them turned up positive. A full 13% of their patients who were there for routine delivery, without any symptoms or reason to suspect COVID-19, had COVID-19.

13%!

Universal Screening for SARS-CoV-2 in Women Admitted for Delivery, 4/12/20 JAMA

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Remember that first ER doc to get COVID from Seattle, in his 40’s? A month in ICU, post intubation and ECMO, he’s now home.

(Edit: Initially posted in wrong thread)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Remember that first ER doc to get COVID from Seattle, in his 40’s? A month in ICU, post intubation and ECMO, he’s now home.

(Edit: Initially posted in wrong thread)
I live right down the street from his hospital...and the infamous nursing home. My daughter worked at the nursing home as a CNA trainee before her BSN and her friends are RNs at the Hospital.

I'm very, very curious as to why the elephant in the room isn't being talked about.
NY, NJ, and MI have 11.7% of the population. As of 4/12/20, they had 60.7% of the dead. NYC didn't have their first case sooner than WA or CA.

I feel like this is more of an indictment towards certain systems than it is towards healthcare in general.
I'm not implying that people are dying because they're getting lackluster care. I'm implying that people who live packed in together are having much higher infection rates.
County hospitals, especially in NYC, were always running on bare minimum staffing and supplies. And now it's showing.

I'm very, very curious as to why the elephant in the room isn't being talked about.
NY, NJ, and MI have 11.7% of the population. As of 4/12/20, they had 60.7% of the dead. NYC didn't have their first case sooner than WA or CA.

I feel like this is more of an indictment towards certain systems than it is towards healthcare in general.
I'm not implying that people are dying because they're getting lackluster care. I'm implying that people who live packed in together are having much higher infection rates.
County hospitals, especially in NYC, were always running on bare minimum staffing and supplies. And now it's showing.
Coronavirus loves it when people live on top of each other packed together like sardines while relying on disgusting, dirty, mass transit.

Reactions: 3 users
Coronavirus loves it when people live on top of each other packed together like sardines while relying on disgusting, dirty, mass transit.
That doesn't explain Michigan though. If anything, it would make more sense that Atlanta or Chicago would be getting devastated, but they're not being talked about anywhere near as much.

That doesn't explain Michigan though. If anything, it would make more sense that Atlanta or Chicago would be getting devastated, but they're not being talked about anywhere near as much.
Michigan is getting hit for the same reasons New Orleans is.

Combination of reasons I think, some that you mentioned.

Population density of NYC and NJ is a problem. Living in apartments packed from top to bottom is a great way to spread a respiratory virus.

NY was slower to implement stay at home orders and close schools. Every day of delay exacerbated the problem but it wasn't felt until a week later.

I have read that the east coast is being hit by a more severe strain versus the west coast.

Like you mentioned, when hospitals constantly run at capacity (including staff/ physicians/ beds) there is no ability to flex or respond to surges. This is all done to save a dollar. Now we get to see the results of these decisions.

Michigan is getting hit for the same reasons New Orleans is.

New Orleans did not shut down Mardi Gras in February. About a month later, kaboom. Did something like that happen in metro detroit?

New Orleans did not shut down Mardi Gras in February. About a month later, kaboom. Did something like that happen in metro detroit?
I was at Mardi Gras in Rio de Janeiro. They aren't getting crushed by patients either.

The next 200 patients that come to see you, are there for a reason other than to be checked for COVID-19. You decide to test all 200 anyways. What percentage would you expect to test positive?

An OB/GYN group in New York recently did just that and 13% of them turned up positive. A full 13% of their patients who were there for routine delivery, without any symptoms or reason to suspect COVID-19, had COVID-19.

13%!

Universal Screening for SARS-CoV-2 in Women Admitted for Delivery, 4/12/20 JAMA

So, can I get a refund on all the TP I panic bought a month ago?

So, can I get a refund on all the TP I panic bought a month ago?
You'd think that with $2 trillion in COVID "stimulus" money they could have at least put a few bucks in their for TP reparations! :lol:

You'd think that with $2 trillion in COVID "stimulus" money they could have at least put a few bucks in their for TP reparations! :lol:

I hope cooler heads prevail next time a novel infectious disease comes about. I’ve said since the beginning that the people at risk should be the ones isolating themselves from the rest of the population (fasting insulin levels, LFT’s, and baseline CRP being good biomarkers to look at to define “healthy”).

Cities are really great... until they aren't. Can you imagine what would happen in Southern cities if we get a bad hurricane season? Imagine evacuations in the setting of a COVID outbreak. Imagine a big tornado devastating a city and THEN, getting a COVID outbreak. Not going to be pretty. Imagine the Juan de Fuca Earthquake in Seattle happening right now. You would have millions of refugees and no towns or cities willing or able to absorb them. Natural disasters that are normally terrible, but somewhat uniting, would lead to civil war as states fight over whether or not to evacuate people and who should or shouldn't take them.

Why would you dislike that?
Trump Halts Funding to World Health Organization

Looks like I can't "dislike" my own post.
WHO will get their money. Call it intimidation, call it extortion, but this is how the big boys use leverage to get an organization you're the #1 funder of, to comply with your requests. If you just keep dumping money into an organization, then beg them to do what you want after the fact, you get nothing like a fool. If you withhold it, then say, "You can get your money back, if ..." you're much more likely to get your money's worth and the response you want. It's called Effective Persuasion 101.

Leaders of U.K., Australian and US are all in agreement that WHO's fight against their early travel bans stunk like a 20-day-old dead fish, and had no basis in "promoting world health." Even liberal Washington Post is now starting to admit COVID-19 was a royal --ck up by China & their Wuhan lab on the level of Chernobyl. Today, Washington Post: "State Department cables warned of safety issues at Wuhan lab" (If paywall, read summary of WaPo article in Forbes.)

(1- Australia, 2- U.K. )

Last edited:
The world would be a better place without the WHO

Where I work in NYC it was essentially business as usual even at the end of March. There were no separate areas for suspected patients and literally everyone including people with obvious flu symptoms were packed together with hundreds of people sitting in curtain and hallway beds. Patients would sit there for days sometimes before they were finally admitted or discharged. If you didn't get the virus before going to the hospital then you got the virus while at the hospital. I can remember many instances of suspected patients being placed right next to dear old granny sent from her nursing home for a foley or peg tube replacement. Sometimes we couldn't even send them back in time and they'd develop symptoms before the ambulance could even take them back to their nursing home. The hospitals also never had enough PPE and so the nurses and techs would wear the same gown and gloves between patients while checking vital signs and drawing labs. Honestly the best way to describe it would be like being on a cruise ship except instead of making everyone stay in their cabins you put them all in one big room and had the cruise ship workers physically spreading the virus to all the passengers.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Where did the CDC say it downgraded to droplet precautions? I see this all over the news and within my own hospital. However, when I look at the CDC's website, it recommends N95 respirators unless you are having a shortage in which case use a surgical mask. Am I missing something?

@thegenius , that is simply crazy highway robbery. $85! That's more than double what I'd pay at costco, and it's easily available now.

Also, anyone listen to the latest EMRA COVID update? Mel Herbert said the current R0 for covid is around 6. 6!!! That's insane! I wonder where he got that number from.

@thegenius , that is simply crazy highway robbery. $85! That's more than double what I'd pay at costco, and it's easily available now.

Also, anyone listen to the latest EMRA COVID update? Mel Herbert said the current R0 for covid is around 6. 6!!! That's insane! I wonder where he got that number from.

Not my Costco buddy.

I wanted a different one, 80 rolls for $65 on Amazon.
But my wife nixed it. She wants the really soft stuff.

I put up a fight, but then I capitulated
She is happy.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.