You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What do I need to know about Locums as a side hustle ? First time doing it
Started by ToKingdomCome
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
One the attd at my place in nyc just got back from 3wks of locum in ohio at $400/hr 1.5x OT after 40hrs
Nyc Locums is 350 at the moment ..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m glad physicians are now getting “time and a half” like the rest of the working world!One the attd at my place in nyc just got back from 3wks of locum in ohio at $400/hr 1.5x OT after 40hrs
Alright so Don’t take it ? Are most of these locum companies willing to negotiate or is this mostly a take it or leave itOne the attd at my place in nyc just got back from 3wks of locum in ohio at $400/hr 1.5x OT after 40hrs
$300 is bare minimum at most places and it’s all about the workload
Workload is the key.
If u covering 1:2 on Asa 1-3 signing some preops on 2 hours gallbladders and 4 hour stable colon resection and get to trade stocks and side work Take the lower rate
If u covering 1:3 or 1:4 doing 10
Blocks a day hustling starting cases urself as the CRNA drops off the patient in pacu to expedite turnover at same $300/hr. Hmm no. I wouldn’t do that.
Workload people. That is the most important aspect when determining how much is appropriate pay.
Sure there are some easier $400/hr workload than others out there as well.
Workload is the key.
If u covering 1:2 on Asa 1-3 signing some preops on 2 hours gallbladders and 4 hour stable colon resection and get to trade stocks and side work Take the lower rate
If u covering 1:3 or 1:4 doing 10
Blocks a day hustling starting cases urself as the CRNA drops off the patient in pacu to expedite turnover at same $300/hr. Hmm no. I wouldn’t do that.
Workload people. That is the most important aspect when determining how much is appropriate pay.
Sure there are some easier $400/hr workload than others out there as well.
This is pretty basic stuff, but as a W-2 employee who has the option to give back PTO at a pretty good weekly rate, is there a tax benefit to doing locums work instead?
Business expense deductions are generally easier to take on 1099 income than W2.This is pretty basic stuff, but as a W-2 employee who has the option to give back PTO at a pretty good weekly rate, is there a tax benefit to doing locums work instead?
Better W2 jobs have mechanisms to pay for that stuff with pretax money, but most of that is mostly at the mercy of your employer. Best case is the "employer" is a private group where you're a partner and the partners can structure things to take maximum benefit. Worst case is the employer is a corporate overlord who isn't interested in maximizing your benefits.
And then there's always tax fraud, if you're so inclined. Sky's the limit.
$300 or you don't even tie your shoes.Have a full time gig already.
Also is $275 in a major Midwest area a good rate or negotiate more ?
Do you know where? I heard there is a hospital in Columbus that one of the CRNAs told me is a "name your price" type desperation.One the attd at my place in nyc just got back from 3wks of locum in ohio at $400/hr 1.5x OT after 40hrs
I do know where. It’s not Columbus.Do you know where? I heard there is a hospital in Columbus that one of the CRNAs told me is a "name your price" type desperation.
Setup a SEP-IRA. Can contribute 25% of your income to an IRA pre-taxThis is pretty basic stuff, but as a W-2 employee who has the option to give back PTO at a pretty good weekly rate, is there a tax benefit to doing locums work instead?
D
deleted643396
Have a full time gig already.
Also is $275 in a major Midwest area a good rate or negotiate more ?
Depends on the job. $275/hr might be worth it if you are doing your own easy cases on ASA 1s and 2s with nice staff. Anything more challenging than that and I would want >$300/hr.
What is everyone’s idea of “major metropolitan area” ? I think it would have to be 1 mil or greater for most people with many having a higher threshold.
Good point, I forgot about that -Setup a SEP-IRA. Can contribute 25% of your income to an IRA pre-tax
I did a SEP every year I was moonlighting away from the Navy. You do need to roll it into a 401(k) every year though in order to do a backdoor Roth, but that's easy enough.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Supervision unfortunatelyDepends on the job. $275/hr might be worth it if you are doing your own easy cases on ASA 1s and 2s with nice staff. Anything more challenging than that and I would want >$300/hr.
Where are these mythical 350/hr jobs in nyc? I’ve been hunting in nyc for a solid 9 months and the best I’ve gotten is “300 all inclusive” for some hospital in distant queens. Everyone is so short and desperate for me but they won’t pay. I literally have 4 locums companies on the search for me.Nyc Locums is 350 at the moment ..
Bronx 375 all-inclusive. i think it was bronx central. I passed. 375 plus housing or pass.Where are these mythical 350/hr jobs in nyc? I’ve been hunting in nyc for a solid 9 months and the best I’ve gotten is “300 all inclusive” for some hospital in distant queens. Everyone is so short and desperate for me but they won’t pay. I literally have 4 locums companies on the search for me.
Demand more money. The business/admin class are experts at gaslighting you into accepting less pay for more work. Don't be a victim stand up for yourself.
"We can only afford", they can always do 20-30% more. Even if you're operating a charity they're still billing the patient so you might as well get paid and give back another way.
"We can only afford", they can always do 20-30% more. Even if you're operating a charity they're still billing the patient so you might as well get paid and give back another way.
As a long time locums I’m going to tell you something really important. Ask for a walk through before you sign contracts for dates. Inspect machines, put eyes on dantrolene, intralipid, defibrillator. You wouldn’t believe the number of times I have refused to work somewhere because there is a veterinary repurposed anesthesia machine, no dantrolene or other issues. Trust no one. I don’t even ask to get paid to come look, takes me 20 min.
You gonna fly across another state for a walkthrough?As a long time locums I’m going to tell you something really important. Ask for a walk through before you sign contracts for dates. Inspect machines, put eyes on dantrolene, intralipid, defibrillator. You wouldn’t believe the number of times I have refused to work somewhere because there is a veterinary repurposed anesthesia machine, no dantrolene or other issues. Trust no one. I don’t even ask to get paid to come look, takes me 20 min.
Its not a practical thing for most people.
Most, if not all, locums contracts have a safety clause that lets you quit immediately if there are safety concerns.
Is this through a locums agency? Can I ask which one?Bronx 375 all-inclusive. i think it was bronx central. I passed. 375 plus housing or pass.
I dont remember but i think the hospital was either NCBH or BLH.Is this through a locums agency? Can I ask which one?
I do local locums don’t want to deal with transferring my DEA etc. all within driving distance. Yeah I’ve seen the safety clause and tried that once only to be black listed by vengeful surgeons who all talk. No thanks.You gonna fly across another state for a walkthrough?
Its not a practical thing for most people.
Most, if not all, locums contracts have a safety clause that lets you quit immediately if there are safety concerns.
I'm sorry that happened to you, but atleast you got out of it.I do local locums don’t want to deal with transferring my DEA etc. all within driving distance. Yeah I’ve seen the safety clause and tried that once only to be black listed by vengeful surgeons who all talk. No thanks.
The good thing is that surgeons dont really have the option to turn down anesthesiologists in this market. Either they take what they can, or their surgery doesnt get done.
I'm sorry that happened to you, but atleast you got out of it.
The good thing is that surgeons dont really have the option to turn down anesthesiologists in this market. Either they take what they can, or their surgery doesnt get done.
Yep everyone needs coverage and surgeons are getting dropped all the time. They should be buying us dinner and taking us out to fancy events
Yours don't? 🤯Yep everyone needs coverage and surgeons are getting dropped all the time. They should be buying us dinner and taking us out to fancy events
Ah yes, Surgeons... an Anesthesiologist's Stryker rep.Yep everyone needs coverage and surgeons are getting dropped all the time. They should be buying us dinner and taking us out to fancy events
Ah yes, Surgeons... an Anesthesiologist's Stryker rep.
Ofirmev and Bridion
Also interested in this. What would be a good set of questions to ask other than the obvious (pay, coverage for travel, license renewal)?
Is there usually a minimum length of time for a contract? How about lead time if you need to leave the locums gig?
Anything else from you seasoned guys would be really appreciated! Thanks.
Is there usually a minimum length of time for a contract? How about lead time if you need to leave the locums gig?
Anything else from you seasoned guys would be really appreciated! Thanks.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
30 days opt out for either side. You can do a week at a time but they usually want some regular interval. Like one week a month minimum.Also interested in this. What would be a good set of questions to ask other than the obvious (pay, coverage for travel, license renewal)?
Is there usually a minimum length of time for a contract? How about lead time if you need to leave the locums gig?
Anything else from you seasoned guys would be really appreciated! Thanks.
Locums reps know just enough medical terms to be dangerous. Don’t believe anything they say about the clinical side of things. Ask to speak to the site medical director if you have any concerns.
Supervision unfortunately
Solo 340 in Midwest major metro now.
Supervision at least 400. Well I don’t want to supervise.
Negotiate or find another one.
Damn I’m not getting 340 but I am east coast ruralSolo 340 in Midwest major metro now.
Supervision at least 400. Well I don’t want to supervise.
Negotiate or find another one.