Medical What do I really need to be competitive for the next cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am entering my Junior year of college (MN resident). I have a GPA trend of 3.2-3.5-3.9-4.0 in my first four semesters adding up to like a 3.69 I believe. Gen chem was rough (C/C+) but Ochem, Biochem, physiology have all been A's.

I have around 1000 hours as a CNA in a nursing home/rehabilitation facility, a lot of this during Covid which had been unique. I have around 100 hours as a literacy tutor for immigrant children in a big city (unfortunately this was a work study so it isn't volunteering). I have 24 hours shadowing a ER physician on the night shift but this is from 2018.

I am not sure what to focus on now to best improve my chances for this upcoming cycle. I know non-clinical volunteering is probably a main focus (though I am an Eagle scout and have a lot of volunteering from 2017-2018). I'm obviously not a candidate for top schools so I'm not sure if research is something I need... Overall it's also just hard to get into anything right now due to Covid. I'm aiming to start studying for the MCAT around January and taking it in the spring.

Do I have a shot at being competitive for the next cycle? I wouldn't mind DO but would like to keep options open which seems easier with MD.

Please let me know what you think I should be focusing on, I appreciate it greatly.

It sounds like you know what you need to focus on - your MCAT. Depending on your MCAT, you will either be very competitive for MD schools, somewhat competitive for MD schools, or not at all competitive, and so I can not give you your actual chances until I know your score. That being said, keep doing what you're doing. Whatever you did to improve your grades reflects extremely well on you, and congratulations on all of your successes.

The one thing that I see is missing is research. And I disagree with you - with a great MCAT, you would absolutely be a candidate for top schools. So focus first and foremost on your MCAT, and if you get an amazing score on your MCAT, you'll be set up to do extremely well during the application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep doing well! Rising GPA trends are always good!

So far, you're still a fine candidate, just work on the self-esteem and keep up the great work.

For non-clinical volunteering, try Meals On Wheels, election poll working (normally done by retirees) or check with your local houses of worship.

Get in more shadowing once the crisis is over, or think about scribing.

So besides MCAT focus getting into research would be what you suggest? Does my clinical work make up for no clinical volunteering? Should I be trying to get non-clinical volunteering as well?

You don't necessarily need clinical volunteering. My personal checklist is:

1. volunteering of any sort
2. Clinical experience
3. Shadowing
4. Research

So sure, get some non-clinical volunteering as well.

But focus first and foremost on your MCAT.

I agree with the above for the MCAT. MCAT is going to make or break your application for MD in MN right now, you're right about average for the admissions stats with a higher trend. My remarks are tailored more for the MN local area.

Don't worry about research for MD admissions at UMN-TC or UMD, it's unlikely to make your application more competitive considering other opportunities (more clinical volunteering definitely helps) have a much higher yield. If you are from a rural area (as in graduated from a high school in Greater Minnesota) and intend to be rural, make one of your activities where you are from to help with the UMD admission. If you are from the Met Council counties and say that you are going to practice rural for the competitive advantage, be prepared for a skeptical committee.

If you are UMN from any of the system school, make sure to come to East Bank for advising at TC or at UMD. If you are MNSCU, go to TC rather than UMD for advising. If you are at one of the liberal arts colleges, St. Olaf, Hamline, Macalester, and Augsburg have strong ties to TC and can advise on that admission. Winona State in MNSCU has ties to Mayo and can advise better than normal.

If you MCAT is decent, you are definitely competitive and potentially very competitive for TC and UMD admission. Without research or something unusual like URM or highly rural origins, Mayo is a long shot.

MCAT is your most major priority for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.