What do I say :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrocks39

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just say they accepted too many students and you got bumped to start the following year. Short and sweet.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just tell them the truth. Making assumptions about "what will people think" is not a healthy practice in general. F what people think.

Reactions: 3 users
No brainer: "I decided to defer for personal reasons."

I was accepted into an SMP at a medical school with guaranteed admission to their DO program. When I was accepted, I had to leave my old job at a large doctor's office. I told my friends about my program and they all wished me luck, and naturally, word got around. However, some issues came up with the school in terms of the number of students they took in, causing them to defer my acceptance until next year. I've started working back at the office again for this gap year, but everyone is asking how school is going/why I'm back. It's too long of a story to explain to everyone who asks me in passing, but I don't want them to think I failed out of school (since I didn't). How do I explain what happened while keeping it brief?

No brainer: "I decided to defer for personal reasons."

I could see that. Alternatively, you could say my school overaccepted people, offered to defer me a year, and I figured I could work and save up money.

If you do end up saving some real money, that's $2-$3/$1 of loans you save in the long run. Ultimately though if you're saving less than $70k it still sucks, because of the 1 yr lost attending earning potential. I hope your school is offering you some scholarship money.

Don't tell me that this was TouroNY!!!!

I was accepted into an SMP at a medical school with guaranteed admission to their DO program. When I was accepted, I had to leave my old job at a large doctor's office. I told my friends about my program and they all wished me luck, and naturally, word got around. However, some issues came up with the school in terms of the number of students they took in, causing them to defer my acceptance until next year. I've started working back at the office again for this gap year, but everyone is asking how school is going/why I'm back. It's too long of a story to explain to everyone who asks me in passing, but I don't want them to think I failed out of school (since I didn't). How do I explain what happened while keeping it brief?

Just say: "I got touro'd."

Seriously though, that's complete bull****. I would be irate if I were you. I am not sure how schools can do this without compensating the student. You are losing a year of attending salary-- not exactly chump change.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure why people are suggesting you lie. Tell them the school over-enrolled and deferred your acceptance until next year. You know....the truth. If you give them the "personal reasons" crap it's just going to spark more curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Joke of a school, the whole situation sucks for you op. I'd just be honest about what happened.

Also, touro adcom incoming in 3..2....

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much everyone. I agree, it's best to just go with the fact that the school over-enrolled.

My situation sucks and it's honestly taught me a lot about the school in general. I've been dealing with it since May and I'm tired of fighting with the admin. I'm applying to other schools this cycle so I hope I can get in somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much everyone. I agree, it's best to just go with the fact that the school over-enrolled.

My situation sucks and it's honestly taught me a lot about the school in general. I've been dealing with it since May and I'm tired of fighting with the admin. I'm applying to other schools this cycle so I hope I can get in somewhere else.

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

Reapply! Reapply! Reapply!
It's not too late! Go back to your old profs and ask them to resign and redate LORs, tweak your PS, and submit new secondaries! Touro isn't worth it unless you have a specific and necessary reason to live in Manhattan/Upstate NY.
Apply to LECOM, they seem to be interviewing most applicants that meet their criteria.

Good luck!