Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
No brainer: "I decided to defer for personal reasons."

I was accepted into an SMP at a medical school with guaranteed admission to their DO program. When I was accepted, I had to leave my old job at a large doctor's office. I told my friends about my program and they all wished me luck, and naturally, word got around. However, some issues came up with the school in terms of the number of students they took in, causing them to defer my acceptance until next year. I've started working back at the office again for this gap year, but everyone is asking how school is going/why I'm back. It's too long of a story to explain to everyone who asks me in passing, but I don't want them to think I failed out of school (since I didn't). How do I explain what happened while keeping it brief?

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No brainer: "I decided to defer for personal reasons."
I could see that. Alternatively, you could say my school overaccepted people, offered to defer me a year, and I figured I could work and save up money.

If you do end up saving some real money, that's $2-$3/$1 of loans you save in the long run. Ultimately though if you're saving less than $70k it still sucks, because of the 1 yr lost attending earning potential. I hope your school is offering you some scholarship money.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Don't tell me that this was TouroNY!!!!

I was accepted into an SMP at a medical school with guaranteed admission to their DO program. When I was accepted, I had to leave my old job at a large doctor's office. I told my friends about my program and they all wished me luck, and naturally, word got around. However, some issues came up with the school in terms of the number of students they took in, causing them to defer my acceptance until next year. I've started working back at the office again for this gap year, but everyone is asking how school is going/why I'm back. It's too long of a story to explain to everyone who asks me in passing, but I don't want them to think I failed out of school (since I didn't). How do I explain what happened while keeping it brief?

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
"I ended up deferring until next year." Short and sweet. You can explain in more detail if you like, but it's not necessary.

Not sure why people are suggesting you lie. Tell them the school over-enrolled and deferred your acceptance until next year. You know....the truth. If you give them the "personal reasons" crap it's just going to spark more curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I only realized that after I re-read the OP...that's what I get for trying to type of my cell while walking the stupid dog!

What kind of advice is this? It's the school's fault, he shouldn't lie

OP
R
Aug 29, 2016
Thank you very much everyone. I agree, it's best to just go with the fact that the school over-enrolled.

My situation sucks and it's honestly taught me a lot about the school in general. I've been dealing with it since May and I'm tired of fighting with the admin. I'm applying to other schools this cycle so I hope I can get in somewhere else.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you very much everyone. I agree, it's best to just go with the fact that the school over-enrolled.

My situation sucks and it's honestly taught me a lot about the school in general. I've been dealing with it since May and I'm tired of fighting with the admin. I'm applying to other schools this cycle so I hope I can get in somewhere else.
Good luck, I hope it all works out.

Pezeveng

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Reapply! Reapply! Reapply!
It's not too late! Go back to your old profs and ask them to resign and redate LORs, tweak your PS, and submit new secondaries! Touro isn't worth it unless you have a specific and necessary reason to live in Manhattan/Upstate NY.
Apply to LECOM, they seem to be interviewing most applicants that meet their criteria.

NotYou20

5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student

Good luck!