What do interviews assess/what do interviewers look for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjfarrell21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had my first interview last week. I won't mention where, but it seemed as if the interviewers were trying to see if students fit their curriculum more than anything. Not a bad thing/not a good thing, but it just wasn't what I was really expecting. In general, what do interviewers generally look for when interviewing? Obviously the ability to interact and be coherent, but are they looking for someone that fits the mission? the curriculum? or in general would make a good physician/has potential to make a good physician? I always assumed the latter more than anything, but was always sort of confused after my first experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't babble and be natural. Try to put your best foot forward. Once you are invited to the interview your odds are between 50 to 75 percent of getting accepted, so at that point they want to see what you are like as a person. I would dress well, keep a good attitude, have good manners, and most all keep your phone OFF!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
We try to imagine you wearing the white coat; if you can articulate well,; if you CA think on your feet and handle stress; if you're a good "fit" for our school. My dear friend Dr KC has an earthier criteria... Would you let this person do a vaginal exam on your mom? A prostate exam on your dad

So I had my first interview last week. I won't mention where, but it seemed as if the interviewers were trying to see if students fit their curriculum more than anything. Not a bad thing/not a good thing, but it just wasn't what I was really expecting. In general, what do interviewers generally look for when interviewing? Obviously the ability to interact and be coherent, but are they looking for someone that fits the mission? the curriculum? or in general would make a good physician/has potential to make a good physician? I always assumed the latter more than anything, but was always sort of confused after my first experience.

Reactions: 1 users