What do LOR Do? Help to get Interview or help during Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth Fixer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok guys here is a question for those applied and interviewed to dental schools so far.

The letters of rec are they used when schools look at the application to help you get an interview into the school?

Or

Do the letters help you in the actual interview once youve gotten an interview (do the adcomms look at them during the interview and talk about it with you)?

How much of a role does LOR's basically place in the big scheme of things? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Best advice I can give you: Make your essays and personal statements unique, and encourage your LOR writers to do the same. You can even give the writer several ideas of things they might want to include, I emailed one of my prof's with about ten things he might consider putting in. They actually appreciate you doing this, they're not obligated to say anything but it helps them write it.
You're goal is to stand out from all the other applicants, so come up with stories that illustrate why you're a good applicant. I had interviews at 6 schools and all of them pointed out something different that stuck out to them or made them laugh - one liked my idea for a shorter mayonaise jar so you don't get it all over the knife handle and on your fingers (it happened to her that morning!), one liked the story of my little sister throwing a golf ball at me and chipping my tooth, one liked my idea for a water-proof shower kareoke machine, one liked the fact that I learned how to say "I like your shoes" in 17 different languages, etc.
Any good movie or book has great character development, the essays and LORs are your time to shine.
So, in answer to your question, it helps both. It gets them interested and is a great conversational starting point for the interviews.

USUaggie said:
Best advice I can give you: Make your essays and personal statements unique, and encourage your LOR writers to do the same. You can even give the writer several ideas of things they might want to include, I emailed one of my prof's with about ten things he might consider putting in. They actually appreciate you doing this, they're not obligated to say anything but it helps them write it.
You're goal is to stand out from all the other applicants, so come up with stories that illustrate why you're a good applicant. I had interviews at 6 schools and all of them pointed out something different that stuck out to them or made them laugh - one liked my idea for a shorter mayonaise jar so you don't get it all over the knife handle and on your fingers (it happened to her that morning!), one liked the story of my little sister throwing a golf ball at me and chipping my tooth, one liked my idea for a water-proof shower kareoke machine, one liked the fact that I learned how to say "I like your shoes" in 17 different languages, etc.
Any good movie or book has great character development, the essays and LORs are your time to shine.
So, in answer to your question, it helps both. It gets them interested and is a great conversational starting point for the interviews.

Wow you wrote funny stories in your personal statement? I always thought that was a risky and non professional thing to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
They all tied in to some point I was trying to make. I put my ideas in because I wanted to emphasize that if I got involved in research and was in the right position to could come up with something amazing, I could; my mind just works in a different way and I can sometimes see solutions that aren't always clear. That's another thing, you might feel like your boasting too much but you've got to be honest with them on why you're a good candidate.
The golf ball story was actually to illustrate that as a child I had NO interest in dentistry and then I explained what got me interested. The languages was to make the point that I enjoy getting to know a variety of people (have people skills).
I picked up all those languages living in Germany where I met and spoke with people from all over the world on a daily basis.
Don't just tell meaningless stories, but I'm serious - it's all about character development. If you can make your point and they enjoy reading it then your interview will be off to a great start.

Some schools will use your LORs to determine whether you get an interview or not, other (BU I know for sure) doesn't even look at it until you're coming in for an interview (I found this out when I called to find out about a delayed LOR).

I don't necessarily agree with USAggie's "funny stories" thing in the personal statement, I was told to make it "goal-oriented and professional", but hey whatever works. I'm sure if you've got great stats you've probably got a little bit more of a leeway, but that's pure speculation. On the otherhand, I spent a portion of my SB interview doing magic tricks.... my interviewer made a comment about how he met his wife, and I said that I like to do magic tricks to hit on chicks, he laughed and said show me some.... so I did.

And yes I actually do carry a deck of cards with me at all times : )

MOST IMPORTANT thing about your LORs, MAKE SURE THEY GET THROUGH!! AADSAS completely wiffed a letter of mine, as in I had it submitted during Oct. and I thought it would be fine as my other 2 letters went through to the schools, it wasn't until January did I find out that they never sent out that first letter!! Don't assume anything and double check!

bumpin for more insight