What do Medical Colleges in India look at?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

surgeon0630

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be a sophomore in high school next year and I am thinking about going to medical school in India. I was wondering what tests medical schools in India look at. (e.g. AP Tests, SAT/SAT Subject Tests, ACT) I also was wondering what classes medical schools in India would prefer you to have taken in high school. Thanks in advance! 🙂
 
In all honesty, I don't think they care about classes. Rather they care about how much money you can "donate" because these "donations" show your "interest" in the medical college if you arch my drift. Besides you're better off studying here unless you have extenuating circumstances that force you to go to India. You can always study abroad or do some health related volunteering work during your summers.
 
Don't go to India, you will have a tough time getting back to the US especially if you want something competitive like surgery. By a tough time I mean you could finish medical school and never be able to work in the US if you don't get residency. Another possibility is that you drop out mid way because its too tough and it is pretty tough in India.
 
I was actually considering that option as well a few months ago, but I dropped it. After doing research on Indian medical schools, it became clear that the only thing they actually care about is MONEY MONEY MONEY. They don't even look at your qualifications! The only benefit I see in choosing this option is that you can get TONS of patients to do research on and you can complete it way faster. But then if you do decide to go ahead with this plan and return back, your degree wont be recognized and consequently you will have to write additional exam. 🙁 I don't think there are any particular courses that they prefer. At the end of the day, it's all up to you. You have to decide the road you take. If you are truly dedicated to become the person you wanna be then work hard and nothing will stop you from getting there 🙂

Also: I think you have to PAY some additional MONEY to reserve your seat in the NRI quota (?)
I'll be happy to help you if you need anything further 🙂