What do pre-allos think of DO's

Started by abadri421
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know Christian Bale...a lot of people do care what kind of doctor you are. Anyone see the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is dating a podiatrist? Perfect example.

LOL you are aware of the difference between DOs MDs and DPMs?
 
My yoga teacher is a DO. He helps me to meditate, and focus on the positive energies of the universe through yoga and osteopathy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My yoga teacher is a DO. He helps me to meditate, and focus on the positive energies of the universe through yoga and osteopathy.

Right. And do you know how many asanas help resolve somatic dysfunctions? Counteract TART changes? Yoga is phenomenal. 😉
 
Like all things, there are the good DO's and MD's and there are the bad ones and thus stereotypes arise. I'm not really biased towards one or the other, after all I'm no expert between the two. How many people have actually met enough DO's and MD's to compare the difference between the two? You can't just look at just one from each and obviously you wont' be able to know every single DO and MD to draw conclusions about their differences.

We can at least agree that the route to a DO SCHOOL, not after, is somewhat easier. With that information, I assume that MD's have a stronger work ethic in the general population. You can find exceptions everywhere, but in general if getting to MD school instead of DO is harder, then in general the MD's work harder. In the future after they bcome actualy doctors, are their work ethics still better? Who knows.
 
We can at least agree that the route to a DO SCHOOL, not after, is somewhat easier. With that information, I assume that MD's have a stronger work ethic in the general population. You can find exceptions everywhere, but in general if getting to MD school instead of DO is harder, then in general the MD's work harder. In the future after they bcome actualy doctors, are their work ethics still better? Who knows.

:laugh: Pre-meds.
 
LOL you are aware of the difference between DOs MDs and DPMs?

First of all, I personally agree with you that doctors are doctors. I'm just speaking in a broader context.

Secondly, I honestly have no idea what the specific differences are...nor do I think 95% of the general population does. My point is that even without knowing the differences, there is a societal perception of a preference of MDs to DOs for many people. Heck, how would a thread like this even come up if this were not true? Why is it that most people see DO as a last resort when they don't get a good enough MCAT score for MD school? (have you read the posts on the MCAT board?) Just pointing out societal perception...whether there is any difference or not is meaningless. There are some awful MDs, and some great DOs. That doesn't change generalizations that are out there.
 
We can at least agree that the route to a DO SCHOOL, not after, is somewhat easier. With that information, I assume that MD's have a stronger work ethic in the general population. You can find exceptions everywhere, but in general if getting to MD school instead of DO is harder, then in general the MD's work harder. In the future after they bcome actualy doctors, are their work ethics still better? Who knows.


I actually disagree with that entire paragraph. Care to revise?
 
First of all, I personally agree with you that doctors are doctors. I'm just speaking in a broader context.

Secondly, I honestly have no idea what the specific differences are...nor do I think 95% of the general population does. My point is that even without knowing the differences, there is a societal perception of a preference of MDs to DOs for many people. Heck, how would a thread like this even come up if this were not true? Why is it that most people see DO as a last resort when they don't get a good enough MCAT score for MD school? (have you read the posts on the MCAT board?) Just pointing out societal perception...whether there is any difference or not is meaningless. There are some awful MDs, and some great DOs. That doesn't change generalizations that are out there.


[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] First of all, I would like to address what Osteopathy really is. "Osteopathic medicine provides all of the benefits of modern medicine including prescription drugs, surgery, and the use of technology to diagnose disease and evaluate injury. It also offers the added benefit of hands-on diagnosis and treatment through a system of therapy known as osteopathic manipulative medicine. Osteopathic medicine emphasizes helping each person achieve a high level of wellness by focusing on health promotion and disease prevention." That was taken from (http://www.aacom.org/about/osteomed/Pages/default.aspx) if you would like some additional reading.

As you can see, Osteopathy is not simply a holistic approach to medicine. It is not an MD with extra training. They are physicians, exactly like an MD. They go through the same schooling, the same residency/fellowship programs, and can work below/beside/above MDs in every medical setting. What is the difference, then? The philosophy.

Osteopathy is centered around the whole-body approach. "DOs are trained to look at the whole person from their first days of medical school, which means they see each person as more than just a collection of organ systems and body parts that may become injured or diseased." This is different from the widely-known Allopathic (MD) approach to medicine. Their differences in their title (MD versus DO) signify their differences in patient philosophy and not quality of care.

What type of training does a physician undergo? Both MDs and DOs take classes in Embryology, Histology, Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, Pathology, Oncology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Clinical Care, just to name a few. While some schools teach the material in different ways, the information taught in consistent throughout all of the medical colleges across the nation. There is a difference in training, however. All of the Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (COMs) across the country are required to teach a class known as Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM).

OMM "involves using the hands to diagnose, treat, and prevent illness or injury. Using OMM, [an] osteopathic physician (D.O.) will move [the] muscles and joints using techniques including stretching, gentle pressure and resistance." This, again, is another philosophical approach to patient care that Allopathic (MD) physicians do not employ. Does this mean that all DOs will use OMM in their practice? No. I cannot say with any certainty how many physicians actually employ OMM in their practice. If you are curious if your DO uses that training, ask him/her. I am sure they will be more than happy to explain this to you in better detail.

What is the point of having two types, then? Philosophy. Allopathic medicine is not for everyone, and neither is Osteopathic medicine. Thousands of DOs recieve their medical degree (DO) every year, providing a slight ease to the physician shortage we have in this country. They are equally as capable, important, and willing to treat and serve the medical need that we have.
.
 
My yoga teacher is a DO. He helps me to meditate, and focus on the positive energies of the universe through yoga and osteopathy.

Your DO is a yoga teacher?....thats weird because the DO I routinely frequent is a fortune teller. He said he plans on doing a 2 year fellowship so he can advertise as a "psychic". Apparently DO's must do the fortune telling internship followed by residency of their choosing, and I guess in your case your DO decided on a yoga residency. I believe those are fairly non-competitve as most DO"s apply for the witchcraft and vodoo residencies.

Have any pre-meds out there shadowed a DO who specializes in raindancing...this is the field I eventually want to enter and it would be great to see an actual raindance?
 
Your DO is a yoga teacher?....thats weird because the DO I routinely frequent is a fortune teller. He said he plans on doing a 2 year fellowship so he can advertise as a "psychic". Apparently DO's must do the fortune telling internship followed by residency of their choosing, and I guess in your case your DO decided on a yoga residency. I believe those are fairly non-competitve as most DO"s apply for the witchcraft and vodoo residencies.

Have any pre-meds out there shadowed a DO who specializes in raindancing...this is the field I eventually want to enter and it would be great to see an actual raindance?

/agree

If you find this residency, please let me know ^.^
 
Your DO is a yoga teacher?....thats weird because the DO I routinely frequent is a fortune teller. He said he plans on doing a 2 year fellowship so he can advertise as a "psychic". Apparently DO's must do the fortune telling internship followed by residency of their choosing, and I guess in your case your DO decided on a yoga residency. I believe those are fairly non-competitve as most DO"s apply for the witchcraft and vodoo residencies.

Have any pre-meds out there shadowed a DO who specializes in raindancing...this is the field I eventually want to enter and it would be great to see an actual raindance?

Lol. I've also wanted to know how to make effigies...
 
:beat: Another MD vs. DO thread?

Just do whichever one you feel is more in line with your philosophy... at the end you'll be treating patients, helping people out and become a doctor.

Just wikipedia or search the differences and if still unsure apply broadly- maybe some interviews at different schools will open your eyes to where you see yourself in the future (school wise).

Do not refrain from applying DO because you're easily swayed by other people's impressions and opinions.
 
Everyone knows that "defense against the dark arts" is the most prestigious osteopathic residency program. 😉
 
.. I need to confess something. I am working for the communists. Our plot is to invade the United States medical system with the creation of the "DO." In truth, "DO" stands for "Destroy the Ompire." Our naming guy had very poor English skills, and we forgot to do a spell check before we sent out the pamphlets. We just went with it. I bid you all adieu to your non-socialized, capitalistic medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone knows that "defense against the dark arts" is the most prestigious osteopathic residency program. 😉

Can we get a list going of the strongest Osteopathic programs in:

Yoga
Raindance
Vodoo
Witchcraft
Defense against the dark arts

Are there DO schools that allow students to use the "invisibility cloak"...I know facilities and "gadgets" shouldnt be a top priority in choosing the school, but you have to admit its pretty darn cool!
 
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]

What is the point of having two types, then? Philosophy. Allopathic medicine is not for everyone, and neither is Osteopathic medicine. Thousands of DOs recieve their medical degree (DO) every year, providing a slight ease to the physician shortage we have in this country. They are equally as capable, important, and willing to treat and serve the medical need that we have.
.

Agreed. The misconstrued perceptions are probably just among a few. Grades and MCAT don't mean everything (and many DO students would be competitive in MD applications); DO schools pick great students.
 
Agreed. The misconstrued perceptions are probably just among a few. Grades and MCAT don't mean everything (and many DO students would be competitive in MD applications); DO schools pick great students.


^.^ Thank you!
 
Still open🙂

Pre-meds are the only ones that care, for the most part. The general public could care less if the "doctor" they see is an MD, DO, RN, PA or any other letter combination as long as they get better.

Unfortunately, you are not 100% correct. Some members of the general public do harbor prejudices [based on ignorance] against DO's. I speak both from hearsay and first hand experience.
 
Wasn't obi wan kenobi a DO?

Yes....you learn to handle and work with the "force" during 2nd year right after a quick 2 week seminar on light sabers. I think this needs to be addressed by the AOA because it really gets in the way of boards....
 
Agreed. The misconstrued perceptions are probably just among a few. Grades and MCAT don't mean everything (and many DO students would be competitive in MD applications); DO schools pick great students.

Yes, there are better students. But, on average, your MD applicant has better numbers. This doesn't mean they'll be better doctors. I'm just pointing out that MD programs are, statistically, more selective concerning numbers (the only thing we can quantify and compare).

Who cares? If someone came on here and said MD's and chiropractors were the same, would you really waste the time arguing that your MD is superior? Just enjoy being a physician.
 
^ No, but that kid from Sixth Sense was.

no...your wrong..Obi was a DO..like I said, you learn to handle the "force" during 2nd year, right before the class on light sabers...you pre-meds need to stop spouting incorrect information because many ppl reading it maybe miseducated...seriously....stop it, its not beneficial when you are trying to educate ppl on what a DO is...do some research before you post
 
I have never seen a doctor with a DO in my life.

👎

Color me skeptical - were you accrediting as a neonate? I'm willing to bet that you've been treated by a number of different clinicians, including PA's, CRNP's, DO's, and MD's.

Regardless, I'm not inclined to have another DO/MD pissing match here.
 
Color me skeptical - were you accrediting as a neonate? I'm willing to bet that you've been treated by a number of different clinicians, including PA's, CRNP's, DO's, and MD's.

Regardless, I'm not inclined to have another DO/MD pissing match here.

Yeah, pissing contests are similar to giving a urine sample for drug testing. If you cannot produce it, there isn't much you can do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unfortunately, you are not 100% correct. Some members of the general public do harbor prejudices [based on ignorance] against DO's. I speak both from hearsay and first hand experience.

There are members of the public who harbor prejudices against MDs based on bad experience and ignorance.

I really hope this thread doesn't degrade into another meaningless and unfounded argument.
 
Color me skeptical - were you accrediting as a neonate? I'm willing to bet that you've been treated by a number of different clinicians, including PA's, CRNP's, DO's, and MD's.

Regardless, I'm not inclined to have another DO/MD pissing match here.

As far as I know, all of the doctors that I have come into contact with were accredited MD's. End of story. Am I bashing DOs? No. Would I want to be one? No. And since when are CRNP's and PA's doctors? This is new to me.
 
As far as I know, all of the doctors that I have come into contact with were accredited MD's. End of story. Am I bashing DOs? No. Would I want to be one? No. And since when are CRNP's and PA's doctors? This is new to me.

Huh. And how DO you know?

I never used to notice anything at all about the Doctors I would visit except for that they were referred to as Dr. Until I became premed, that is. Once I knew there was a distinction, I started paying attention, and only then did I start noticing a bunch of DOs.
 
no...your wrong..Obi was a DO..like I said, you learn to handle the "force" during 2nd year, right before the class on light sabers...you pre-meds need to stop spouting incorrect information because many ppl reading it maybe miseducated...seriously....stop it, its not beneficial when you are trying to educate ppl on what a DO is...do some research before you post

Hmm....so I guess Yoda is Hippocrates then?

Greece...Degobah...all the same I guess.
 
As far as I know, all of the doctors that I have come into contact with were accredited MD's. End of story. Am I bashing DOs? No. Would I want to be one? No.

So then what's your point? It doesn't mean much that you've never, to your knowledge, encountered a DO. They are known to be the minority in the physician population. You aren't making any salient points here. Furthermore, just because you've never encountered a DO doesn't mean that the MD you did encountered wasn't trained by a DO, or never had a DO professor, or doesn't have a DO colleague, or DO boss, for that matter... You get the picture. We all work together here. It's the same profession, just different degrees.
 
"Doctor, I know you're about to crack my chest, but can I please see your identification badge?"
...
"Hold on, I don't trust you, go find an MD."

About as stupid as the EMT on Grey's (sigh if you want) refusing to be operated on by Bailey because she is black and he had a swastika on his stomach.
 
Huh. And how DO you know?

I never used to notice anything at all about the Doctors I would visit except for that they were referred to as Dr. Until I became premed, that is. Once I knew there was a distinction, I started paying attention, and only then did I start noticing a bunch of DOs.

Well for starters, Every doctor's office that I have been to tends to have said doctors MD Certificate on one of the walls. At clinics, they always list the name of the doctor followed by the degree (i.e. John Smith, M.D.)
 
As far as I know, all of the doctors that I have come into contact with were accredited MD's. End of story. Am I bashing DOs? No. Would I want to be one? No. And since when are CRNP's and PA's doctors? This is new to me.

Clinician != Doctor

There are a number of different clinicians that can write scrips and perform nearly all of the same functions/procedures as the MD/DO. We had all of these clinicians at the hospitals at which I've worked, and unless something genuinely specialized is required, the end is the same. Some states extend prescription writing privileges to PhD's, too, for simple antidepressants and anxiolytics, so the definition of clinician is still widening.
 
There are members of the public who harbor prejudices against MDs based on bad experience and ignorance.

I really hope this thread doesn't degrade into another meaningless and unfounded argument.

Erm, I wasn't really arguing anything. What was your point?
 
As far as I know

Uhhhh.........

One of the principle recurring topics about this is that the two are virtually indistinguishable. So "as far as you know" you might have seen a DO and just wouldn't recognize any difference, as there are virtually none. So what is your point exactly?
 
see thats some great input..thank you..i tried using the search feature but it wasnt helpful..
So if you have two applicants, one DO and the other MD, for lets say an orthopedic surgery residency position. Both have very similar statistics and btw its an allopathic residency, is there any bias towards the DO in this regard?

-----
abadri421
couldve done better

Status: Pre-Medical
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 122
-----

So you've been on sdn for two years and this was your 122nd post. I don't understand how you could still have any DO/MD questions.

Haven't you seen some variation on your question come up at least once a week over the past two years?

Ah, maybe this explains your current concern. First, congratulations on Western. Second, I'd say don't bother worring about it unless you end up with an MD acceptance and you have to choose between two (or more) programs. Then look at the specific schools and consider all their strengths and weaknesses. And if the DO/MD thing is an issue for you, factor it in with whatever weight you think it deserves.

(I didn't apply to any DO schools because I didn't want to worry about moving for rotations in years 3 and 4. That was a priority for me, but we all have our own issues. The DO prestige question didn't even make my list.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Clinician != Doctor

There are a number of different clinicians that can write scrips and perform nearly all of the same functions/procedures as the MD/DO. We had all of these clinicians at the hospitals at which I've worked, and unless something genuinely specialized is required, the end is the same. Some states extend prescription writing privileges to PhD's, too, for simple antidepressants and anxiolytics, so the definition of clinician is still widening.

Sorry but I disagree. By definition they are not doctors, although they may be able to perform some of the tasks that doctors can.
 
I cannot believe this thread is still open. I've been watching (http://youtube.com/watch?v=642syLMYpEA) because I absolutely love that song (yes, it is in Japanese), and I think Utada Hikaru is really beautiful.

Sorry if that is a bit off topic, but this thread is pretty useless...


EDIT: I was also playing the N-game.
 
I cannot believe this thread is still open. I've been watching (http://youtube.com/watch?v=642syLMYpEA) because I absolutely love that song (yes, it is in Japanese), and I think Utada Hikaru is really beautiful.

Sorry if that is a bit off topic, but this thread is pretty useless...

phenotypically speaking, she's definitely decent. I don't know about the J-Pop--although it is better than its American counterpart.
 
I'm going to refer everyone to the Pre-Osteo FAQ, it has many helpful links that will answer many of your questions.

Helpful links:

American Osteopathic Association's Definition of a DO

Other MD/DO threads (much better than this)

MD vs DO
Physicians are hired as tradesman for the job of physician or surgeon, the degree qualifies you for the job but isn’t the job itself. Having said that, there is no discrepancy in salary between and MD and a DO, however it is debatable whether DOs or MDs make more money when self employed. There are way too many variable involved, such as location, local opinions, and individual performance to assess this. Here is a sample of discussions and opinions about this question:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=211261
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202236
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=188100
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=184459
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=174042

That said. This thread is a triumph of Pre-Allo form and function, I must close it so it may be preserved in all its glory.
 
Sorry but I disagree. By definition they are not doctors, although they may be able to perform some of the tasks that doctors can.
Sure they are. My chemistry professor is a doctor, which is why we called him Dr. Lastname. He isn't a physician though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.