What DO school to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

ugagirl4

Hello everyone,

I have a friend that is currently applying to DO school. She has a good GPA (3.6), good ECs, but low MCAT (low 20s). She is from Georgia. What DO schools should she apply to? Thanks so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Unlike MD schools, for the most part, there isn't a huge difference between each of the DO schools (not like the difference between Harvard and FSU). There is no clear cut top 10 list of DO schools. Ask 10 different people for the #1 ranked DO school and you'll probably get 10 different answers.

There are subtle differences, though, such as how much time they put into OMT, the percentage of people who pass the boards, reputation, location, etc.

For me, the most important aspect was location. I didn't want to go to school too far away from Florida so I applied only to eastern schools (and Oklahoma for some unknown reason).

Your friend should think about what is most important in a school, and then research different schools with that in mind.

The point is, don't just use stats to decide where to apply. His/her MCAT score won't necessarily be the thing that gets them accepted or rejected from any particular school. The difference between the school with the highest accepted MCAT average and the lowest isn't really that far apart. So if their scores are good enough to get into one DO school, they can probably get interviews at most other schools. That's my opinion, though.

Fenrezz,

Thanks for your reply. I guess that was what I was looking for. I am not real familiar with the different schools, and the only resource that I have found on the web with comparative data is the AACOM website. Does anyone know of any other good sites with data on the schools (besides the school sites of course).

I have found that TCOM and MSUCOM accept mostly in-state residents. Is there any other eastern schools that have the same phenomenon? There are so many schools, and she is looking for a way to narrow it down (where she would have the best shot).

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe UMDNJ is pretty pro instate.

Generally, the state funded schools take mostly in-state students. The private ones generally don't have that type of restriction.

Actually, I did forget about that. Some schools do look more for in state students so that would be something else you have to consider. You don't have to shy away from those completely though. You can still get accepted, it's just a bit more difficult.

This is where the US News and World Report list of graduate schools can help because they list the percentage of in state students accepted at the school, if I remember correctly.