What DO schools are located in an urban setting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaids37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or at least close by an urban area? So far I know of PCOM, COMP, MUCOM, DMU...any others to add to the list?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like this could easily be answered using google.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ATSU-SOMA. 15-20 mins from downtown Phoenix (population 2million+). Rotation sites in urban areas including Brooklyn, Chicago, DC.

TUCOM-CA, in the general SF Bay Area, I think about 30 miles or so by car to Chinatown (which I use as a reference due to its urban SF location. A bit of a drive (time wise) though, like 1+ hours depending on traffic.

The ones with high MCAT averages...

...few exceptions to the rule of course.

6z8zmv.jpg

I'd probably go for something less ...urban

Last edited:
The TouroNY campus cracks me up. Literally cannot get more of an urban setting than that.

I also would strongly prefer an urban campus, but I hate the idea of my entire school being a couple floor of 1 building. o_O

Or at least close by an urban area? So far I know of PCOM, COMP, MUCOM, DMU...any others to add to the list?

Define "at least close by."

RVUCOM is in Parker, CO, which is in the greater Denver area, but a pretty big commute to downtown itself.
LECOM-SH is about an hour from Pittsburgh, but Greensburg is definitely not urban.
Western is in Pomona, CA which I would consider urban, but it's not exactly LA.

I could continue, but you could google.

Edit: typo-ed, I would consider Pomona urban

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Define "at least close by."

RVUCOM is in Parker, CO, which is in the greater Denver area, but a pretty big commute to downtown itself.
LECOM-SH is about an hour from Pittsburgh, but Greensburg is definitely not urban.
Western is in Pomona, CA which I would consider rural, but it's not exactly LA.

I could continue, but you could google.

I kind of surprised by how many people on here who think having a population of 100-200k is rural. That's more like a small city...

I kind of surprised by how many people on here who think having a population of 100-200k is rural. That's more like a small city...
Seriously.

I met some kid at an interview who said he didn't know if he could adjust to the rural area. Mind you, this school was in a city with a 750K pop and a multi-million metro area....

Reactions: 1 users
MSUCOM has a campus in downtown Detroit, MI (Midtown)

Reactions: 1 users

Western would be urban its near LA, NYCOM and CCOM are two others as well. You might consider TUCOM as well, but I would think its around 2 hours from San Francisco if I am not mistaken, its sister school is in Vegas. There is also NSU which outside of Miami in Ft Lauderdale. AZCOM is just outside of Phoenix, ATSU-SOMA is near Phoenix as well.

Most urban DO schools: KCUMB, TOURO NY, PCOM, MSU COM Detroit

Second most urban: NYIT, NSUCOM, CCOM, DMU, Western

Third most: MUCOM, TUCOM CA, RVU

Some schools based on my observations.

Define "urban." Growing up in a large metro area really skewed my definition of urban :laugh:

CCOM, being in the Chicagoland area, is what I'd consider urban. Sure it's a suburb but downtown is only 25 miles away!

Awesome! Thanks for all the info everyone :)

Small or big city I am a big fan of. I would consider 100-200k urban haha

I just don't want to be in the middle of no where is all.

No worries, my bad!

And you are right-- it's interesting where people draw the line between urban, suburban and rural. I'm sure there's some sort of official demographics cut-off, but I don't know what it is.

The census has the following reference for urban and rural.

https://www.census.gov/geo/reference/urban-rural.html

Anything around 2,500 to 50,000 is a urban cluster (not sure what this means). I guess my take on this is that anything below 50,000 is technically rural.

How about a DO school actually in a major city? You have PCOM, KcU, msucom, is that it?

How about a DO school actually in a major city? You have PCOM, KcU, msucom, is that it?

Most DO schools are in suburbs of major cities, that is just how most of them are built, its not like allopathic schools which tend to be built within downtown areas. Given how most major US cities are like when it comes to crime, cost of living, and cleanliness, its actually better being in a suburb than in downtown Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, etc.

Most DO schools are in suburbs of major cities, that is just how most of them are built, its not like allopathic schools which tend to be built within downtown areas. Given how most major US cities are like when it comes to crime, cost of living, and cleanliness, its actually better being in a suburb than in downtown Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, etc.

KCU is actually downtown like Touro-NY. Ours is actually a campus though and not a renovated building.

Now the specific area that KCU is located in is a pretty rough neighborhood. We have armed (off duty police officers) security that patrol the campus 24/7.

KCU is actually downtown like Touro-NY. Ours is actually a campus though and not a renovated building.

Now the specific area that KCU is located in is a pretty rough neighborhood. We have armed (off duty police officers) security that patrol the campus 24/7.

Johns Hopkins is probably one of the best MD schools in the country, probably number one, I just visited the campus in June, and man the area around it is GHETTO. The school itself it top notch though. Baltimore though is like something out of Thunderdome.

The upside of Touro NY is that NY improves a lot once you start going south towards midtown NY, but I doubt most students could even afford to live in midtown NYC.

Kansas City has a rough reputation, so I am not surprised you got armed security.

Johns Hopkins is probably one of the best MD schools in the country, probably number one, I just visited the campus in June, and man the area around it is GHETTO. The school itself it top notch though. Baltimore though is like something out of Thunderdome.

The upside of Touro NY is that NY improves a lot once you start going south towards midtown NY, but I doubt most students could even afford to live in midtown NYC.

Kansas City has a rough reputation, so I am not surprised you got armed security.

Yeah I've heard JHU is in one insane neighborhood. I've also heard that about Yale too which I never would have though.

Touro-CA and WesternU also seem to be in some shady areas that IMO are not in an urban setting by my definition of urban.

TCOM is urban? Hardly, downtown doesn't always mean "urban" IMHO.

TCOM is urban? Hardly, downtown doesn't always mean "urban" IMHO.

Is TCOM not located in downtown Ft. Worth?
Ft. Worth has a population of over 800,000...definitely urban.
Not to mention that the entire DFW area is just urban sprawl. I wouldn't say that area is small or rural by any means...

On SDN, the term urban is equated as "ghetto" . And downtown IMHO, does NOT mean the same as "urban/ghetto".

So no, I do NOT think downtown Ft. Worth is "ghetto/urban", it's just downtown.

Clearly one's "background" dictates ones definitions.

On SDN, the term urban is equated as "ghetto" . And downtown IMHO, does NOT mean the same as "urban/ghetto".

ohhhh gotchya. I was just interpreting it differently, assuming OP was interesting in schools in large areas. The whole DFW area is very large and very diverse. There are certainly seedier areas, but you're right that Ft. Worth has less of those than its larger friend 45 minutes down the road (Dallas).

haha what?!

No, on SDN "urban" is not being used to mean "ghetto". We are talking about which schools are in major cities. You are the only person in this thread to use that connotation.

You can throw a rock from TCOM and hit the Kimbell Art Museum and the Modern Art Museum, which are literally across the street. There are several other major museums further down. Downtown Fort Worth is actually very nice, clean, and safe.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I've heard JHU is in one insane neighborhood. I've also heard that about Yale too which I never would have though.

Touro-CA and WesternU also seem to be in some shady areas that IMO are not in an urban setting by my definition of urban.

That is why I advise students to pick a school in place where they will be happy, if they do not like the setting, chances are they will struggle.

The thing about my school, AZCOM, is that its located in a relatively quiet suburb of Phoenix, but the campus is highly modern, clean, secure and gated, we got a well staffed security force. The area around the school has plenty of inexpensive affordable places to live for students, and there is on campus housing which is relatively more expensive.

Hopkins is a world class school, but the neighborhood is a war zone.

I'm surprised so many people don't include Fort Worth as urban. Just because TCOM may be in a nicer part of town doesn't exclude it. Yes the first two years are on campus, but clinical years are definitely spent in an urban medical center. Most of my hospital and clinical experiences were patients that were either not insured or on government programs. When you are the only medical school in a city of nearly 800,000 people and you have rotations set up at the county hospital and work with multiple residencies at multiple sites, you definitely get an urban population. Fort Worth is HUGE, it just feels like a smaller town, especially compared to Dallas just down the road.

I'm surprised so many people don't include Fort Worth as urban. Just because TCOM may be in a nicer part of town doesn't exclude it. Yes the first two years are on campus, but clinical years are definitely spent in an urban medical center. Most of my hospital and clinical experiences were patients that were either not insured or on government programs. When you are the only medical school in a city of nearly 800,000 people and you have rotations set up at the county hospital and work with multiple residencies at multiple sites, you definitely get an urban population. Fort Worth is HUGE, it just feels like a smaller town, especially compared to Dallas just down the road.

We forgot that, but AZCOM is also "urban" too, its about 40 minutes away from Phoenix. Most DO schools are located in suburbs of major cities, only a few are in the boondocks.

We forgot that, but AZCOM is also "urban" too, its about 40 minutes away from Phoenix. Most DO schools are located in suburbs of major cities, only a few are in the boondocks.

Kcumb, tourony, Pcom, and (Tcom?) aren't in suburbs.

I threw the definition of urban already. If the area exceeds 50k people, it is urban. Since Ft.Worth has a population of 800k and downtown is in the heart of a city/town (yes downtown can mean in the middle of a town also), it is automatically apart of the urban area.

Seriously.

I met some kid at an interview who said he didn't know if he could adjust to the rural area. Mind you, this school was in a city with a 750K pop and a multi-million metro area....

I would even call 200k a medium sized city. To me, anything under 50k and not part of a larger metro area is rural-ish. 50k-100k is a small city. Any metro area of more than 500k to me, is a major city.

But yeah, people crack me up... I've literally seen people say Tucson, AZ is a small town.