What do schools give you on interview day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Drexel, I wish I could show u how it looks but its gone now
Ew, gross. I wouldn't even send that to goodwill it's so awful.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also got a USB drive...that was 512MB. 512MB! It broke down about a month later.

I was shocked at Yale to receive a very plain-looking unbranded folder that would've costed 60 cents at local CVS. But perhaps Yale doesn't need to give out anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is fun. I’ll break it down by school:

Cincinnati - that nice thermos/water bottle posters were talking about earlier, a padfolio, and a pen all branded.

Pittsburgh - folder with info and a pen, both branded

Toledo - folder with info, pen, lanyard for name tag and notepad. All branded.

Ohio state - branded folder with info, branded usb containing the presentation materials, and a buckeye (the candy). Surprisingly no pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loyola gave us a USB drive, but other than that my other schools have only given out folders with a couple of papers (if that). I still have one left, but I doubt I get anything too exciting.

All schools have given me a pen and folder, one school gave me a water bottle, pen, and fidget spinner. Overall McGovern's stuff looked the sharpest, they put 1000x the effort into interview day compared to all other schools, they were professionals.

All schools have given me a pen and folder, one school gave me a water bottle, pen, and fidget spinner. Overall McGovern's stuff looked the sharpest, they put 1000x the effort into interview day compared to all other schools, they were professionals.
fidget spinner school is obviously the one you should go to

Reactions: 6 users
Three interviews attended, and I've gotten a pen. That is it.

Edit: I lied. The school that gave a pen also gave a flash drive with a bunch of school info on it.

Cincinnati - that nice thermos/water bottle posters were talking about earlier, a padfolio, and a pen all branded.

Ohio state - branded folder with info, branded usb containing the presentation materials, and a buckeye (the candy). Surprisingly no pen.

Been using that thermos ever since kinda forgot too, basically took a big swig from it at my car today outside another schools interview... almost choked on the water trying to duck it back into the cup holder when I realized, quickly looking around to see if I was seen

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Been using that thermos ever since kinda forgot too, basically took a big swig from it at my car today outside another schools interview... almost choked on the water trying to duck it back into the cup holder when I realized, quickly looking around to see if I was seen

Do you use it as a thermos like for hot drinks or just cold drinks? It feels like it could handle some coffee maybe but I didn’t want to ruin it lol.

Heh. Ohio state gave away a nice laptop bag back when I interviewed a decade ago. I still have it.

/even though I had a horrible interview there and was rejected post-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
At one interview I got a pen. At another interview I got a pen, water bottle, drawstring bag, car window decal, and granola bar. :eyebrow:

At one interview I got a pen. At another interview I got a pen, water bottle, drawstring bag, car window decal, and granola bar. :eyebrow:
looks like you got a lot at that school.

Did you get an acceptance as part of that package?

Last edited:
Do you use it as a thermos like for hot drinks or just cold drinks? It feels like it could handle some coffee maybe but I didn’t want to ruin it lol.

I have only done cold water haha... don’t wanna push it

looks like you got a lot at that school.

Did you get an acceptance as part if that package?
I did! And it’s my top choice so far, so the swag won’t go to waste lol.

Sinai gives luggage tag and hand sanitizer!

NYU - a nice tote bag

Boston - took away the nametag at the end for recycling purpose. Great to be environmentally conscious but I miss my tag.

Forgot to mention that Yale gives a pen, too. But it's not strictly Yale pen. it's a Yale Financial Services pen.

Reactions: 1 users
Sinai gives luggage tag and hand sanitizer!

NYU - a nice tote bag

Boston - took away the nametag at the end for recycling purpose. Great to be environmentally conscious but I miss my tag.

Forgot to mention that Yale gives a pen, too. But it's not strictly Yale pen. it's a Yale Financial Services pen.

Did they require you to give back the actual paper name tag or just the plastic covering?

Did they require you to give back the actual paper name tag or just the plastic covering?
Just the covering haha, you get to keep the paper. So maybe I shouldn't really be sad..but still!

Just the covering haha, you get to keep the paper. So maybe I shouldn't really be sad..but still!

Ok, I was surprised! Hah, I've kept all my paper name tags. Sometimes it's the only proof I have for an interview at that school.

Ok, I was surprised! Hah, I've kept all my paper name tags. Sometimes it's the only proof I have for an interview at that school.
Me too! It's also interesting how different schools approach name tag differently. Some schools print on a piece of paper with their logo on it (da best). Some schools just use plain white paper with no logo on it. Some schools just print out name. Some schools print out their name with your name. Some schools print out your name & your undergrad institution on the tag.

One school gave a mini branded padfolio, another gave us a running light, some M&Ms, and a credit card holder for our phone case (which was pretty stinking awesome). Otherwise pens and folders are all I’ve gotten.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Just curious what schools are doing this year in terms of branded and non-branded items provided to applicants on interview day. Pen? folder? tote bag? lanyard? water bottle? notepad?

A T-shirt, a water bottle, a draw string backpack type bag, and loads of pens and folders.

A t shirt is definitely the best tho. :)

I have one of these and I love it. Do you think that these make a good give away for interviewed applicants?

I think it would as long as the school logo isn't on it or anything (because not everyone who interviews will get in)

What about as a give-away at informational events (fairs)?

Realistically, only people who attend your school will use it if it has your school logo on it. I think giving it away at an info event is a nice gesture, but people will probably just throw/give them away unless they matriculate. No one wants to look like a "poser."

I think the best give away is a USB. The logo on it will be really small and I can just scratch it off if I don't get in to your school. Also, everyone can use a nice USB.

What about as a give-away at informational events (fairs)?

I think these are definitely a pretty good item for fairs - I appreciate them at least. They're useful.

Now, not from a med school, but the best swag I've ever gotten was from a conference recently: a bright red apron that says "Only the most amazing bioethicist and grill chef wears this apron!"

Realistically, only people who attend your school will use it if it has your school logo on it. I think giving it away at an info event is a nice gesture, but people will probably just throw/give them away unless they matriculate. No one wants to look like a "poser."

I think the best give away is a USB. The logo on it will be really small and I can just scratch it off if I don't get in to your school. Also, everyone can use a nice USB.

But please, not 512mb one

Hi SLU!!

I have one of these and I love it. Do you think that these make a good give away for interviewed applicants?

I really appreciated it - it has the school logo and a metal piece like a slap bracelet that keeps the cards in. I know another student who is already using it. I imagine they are inexpensive (and they are small), so they can easily be packed and taken on a plane. And if the student disposed of it, it’s not taking up a lot of room in the landfill like a shirt or water bottle.

Notepad, folder (Loaded with all the information papers), and a pen. One school gave me a hat. Felt like I was at signing day walking to see all hats lying around. "And for the 2017-2021 Medical school Season I am committing to XYZ School of Medicine."

Notepad, folder (Loaded with all the information papers), and a pen. One school gave me a hat. Felt like I was at signing day walking to see all hats lying around. "And for the 2017-2021 Medical school Season I am committing to XYZ School of Medicine."
LOL -- when we get an application from an outstanding athlete, we sometimes ask ourselves if the applicant has a year of eligibility left. ;)

Reactions: 5 users
I've gotten folders, pens (with stylus), a nice notebook, a hat... The best swag was a phone charger with attachments for iPhone and Android.

LOL -- when we get an application from an outstanding athlete, we sometimes ask ourselves if the applicant has a year of eligibility left. ;)

I don't expect you to confirm or deny, but I'm like 99% sure you work at Stanford lol

Shoutout to the UT Long SOM pens with touchscreen tip on the other side and the nice bag

I️ now realize the one pen I️ lost (during the interview day) had a stylus. It’s also from a school I️ was accepted to and am currently planning on attending (still waiting out the cycle, but am very excited about the school). That was a nice take on the free pen and I️ could definitely use the stylus right now ...

Out of all the swag I've gotten, by far my favorite has been post interview silence :), the pens are a close second though.

Reactions: 8 users
Shoutout to the UT Long SOM pens with touchscreen tip on the other side and the nice bag

Am I like the only doofus who kept frustratingly pushing the touchscreen tip to get the pen tip to come out and write, but ultimately failing until a more intelligent applicant figured out that the clip was moveable?

Reactions: 3 users
Am I like the only doofus who kept frustratingly pushing the touchscreen tip to get the pen tip to come out and write, but ultimately failing until a more intelligent applicant figured out that the clip was moveable?
It took me like 15 minutes to figure that pen out, I think that's why I have such an emotional attachment to it.

shhhhh .... that was secretly an interview test

Just curious what schools are doing this year in terms of branded and non-branded items provided to applicants on interview day. Pen? folder? tote bag? lanyard? water bottle? notepad?
Water bottle
Pen (one of those stylus-pens)
Folder with information
Keychain/USB drive/coozie/etc.
- all of above are labeled and put into a bag which is also labeled

Water bottle
Pen (one of those stylus-pens)
Folder with information
Keychain/USB drive/coozie/etc.
- all of above are labeled and put into a bag which is also labeled

Whaaat??? These weren't in my bag. Feel cheated (jk).

One school I interviewed at didn't give anything. And that was my first acceptance so apology accepted!

Sent from my 5056W using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users