What do schools want to see in LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTdream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what my references need to point out in a letter of recommendation for a MOT/MSOT. Any advice would be great! Especially from those accepted to numerous schools and who have awesome LORs :)

Members don't see this ad.

Exposure in the field of OT through the different settings you have participated in, patients you have worked with/observed, understanding of the resources used by an OT, and the process that is taken by an OT in assisting patients.

I received LORs from 2 MD's, 2 PT's, 1 OT, and a COTA.

If you need observation hours the VA hospital is a good way to learn and to network.

Last edited:
Thanks :) What about personal or academic references? I'm probably going to have 1 OT, 1 personal and 1 academic.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's always been my belief that personal LORs are a lil bias and carry less weigh compare to other LORs when applying for a job or a academic prg. The last thing you want is for a OT program to question is this LOR a true reflection of yourself. Academic LORs can be good just try to stray away from non OT related academic professors.

VA hospital you'll get hooked up!

Good Luck!!!

I think two of the most important factors for LOR's is the person's enthusiasm for you (they like you, trust you, want you to succeed, etc.) and thoroughness (the go into specific examples for why you would make a good OT). It's definitely helpful for all of them to be somewhat familiar with OT so they can speak to your skills and strengths as they relate to the field. If they aren't, I would talk to them beforehand and let them know what qualities the program is looking for. They could talk about ways in which you work well with others, act in a leadership capacity, stay calm under pressure, use creative problem solving and express yourself well both verbally and in writing. One of my recommenders filled out the rating system in the OTCAS evaluation and then only wrote a few sentences about me. I found out later that this LOR was rated as mediocre by my program. I was only three points away from getting into the program, so I really kicked myself for that weak recommendation. A lot of programs rely on LOR's to get a sense of who you are before they meet you, so you really want people who are excited about you to write them.