What do we have to know about Electrolysis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fas376

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a broad question, but I don't think TBR did a good job on electrochem so I'm confused. The galvanic cell is pretty simple, I guess, but what about electrolytic cells? Should we know the difference between molten and aqueous electrolysis, and the products that form from each? My test is on saturday so I don't want to waste too much time going into details if we're not responsible for knowing it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

An electrolytic cell is simply the opposite of a galvanic cell. What you should know? As much as you can.

An electrolytic cell is simply the opposite of a galvanic cell. What you should know? As much as you can.

Okay, then where should we actually learn about it? Test prep books don't go into molten and aqueous electrolysis. They just say it requires an outside battery source to provide energy, and thats pretty much as far into it as they go

Okay, then where should we actually learn about it? Test prep books don't go into molten and aqueous electrolysis. They just say it requires an outside battery source to provide energy, and thats pretty much as far into it as they go

wikipremed is a good way to go. TBR does go into aqueous electrolysis. else, you can ask your specific questions on these forums.

wikipremed is a good way to go. TBR does go into aqueous electrolysis. else, you can ask your specific questions on these forums.

Thanks for the response, but I think I may just risk it and skip it. The electrochem questions I've seen on practice AAMCs have been super basic.