What do you answer people when they ask: "So, how do you like school?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's not that I hate school... but I mean.. it's first year dental school.. there isn't exactly that much to love either... it's a lot of work, and I'd rather be sitting on the beach sipping a vodka tonic and eating sushi...

I find that every time people ask me "how do you like school?" I can't bring myself to say "it's good" or even "okay" (depending on how soon exams are coming up).... I feel like it's one of those questions like "how are you?" in which no one actually wants to hear the truth.. they just expect you to say "good" or "well" (if you are a stickler for proper grammar).

What do you answer to this?

Members don't see this ad.

My program is not bad, I don't love it and I don't hate it (although sometimes I do feel certain things piss me off, it's probably the case in other schools too).

OVerall, if I had the choice to go to another school I would, because of tuition, the cold front weather, not getting my own chair in clinic, etc. On the same token, great city, multi-cultural, beautiful women, and great night life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't much like school, but I do want to be a dentist, and I know that there isn't any other way to get the coveted D.D.S. title.

When people ask how school is going, I usually start with something honest but lighthearted: "Oh, very busy!" "Overworked and underpaid, you know how it is." "Not that hard, but there's a lot to learn."

Then I add that I'm very much looking forward to the clinical years, and to my career afterwards, and I leave it at that.

I don't much like school, but I do want to be a dentist, and I know that there isn't any other way to get the coveted D.D.S. title.

When people ask how school is going, I usually start with something honest but lighthearted: "Oh, very busy!" "Overworked and underpaid, you know how it is." "Not that hard, but there's a lot to learn."

Then I add that I'm very much looking forward to the clinical years, and to my career afterwards, and I leave it at that.

yeah I pretty much do the same.

"schools alot of work, more than I thought it would be. BUT its also really interesting and I can't wait to do more dentistry."

I love school I constantly tell my wife that if I were rich I would take classes forever, that being said I am not so I look forward to the end even though I love it.

I love school I constantly tell my wife that if I were rich I would take classes forever, that being said I am not so I look forward to the end even though I love it.

My response: "Well, it's definitely not the easiest thing I've done before.." Then I laugh awkwardly and walk away.

It's not that I hate school... but I mean.. it's first year dental school.. there isn't exactly that much to love either... it's a lot of work, and I'd rather be sitting on the beach sipping a vodka tonic and eating sushi...

I find that every time people ask me "how do you like school?" I can't bring myself to say "it's good" or even "okay" (depending on how soon exams are coming up).... I feel like it's one of those questions like "how are you?" in which no one actually wants to hear the truth.. they just expect you to say "good" or "well" (if you are a stickler for proper grammar).

What do you answer to this?

School's pretty incredible. I feel extremely fortunate to be here. I don't understand the people who talk about how terrible dental school is.

School's pretty incredible. I feel extremely fortunate to be here. I don't understand the people who talk about how terrible dental school is.

Well, one can dislike school and still feel very fortunate to be able to attend. (I haven't hit the point where I actually dislike school, but even if I ever do, I would still realize that it is a big privilege.)

Last edited: