What do you call a PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I agree, Yoda. I totally thought this was gonna be set up for a joke.

Members don't see this ad.

Just want to say that any PA that tries to act like a doctor or wants to be called doctor should have their license taken away. This makes us all look bad and it was stressed to us heavily during school. Physician Assistants went to school to be a PA, not a doctor and a large majority are extremely happy with their decision. Even if the PA or NP has a doctorate degree, they should not be addressed as doctor in the clinical field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to say that any PA that tries to act like a doctor or wants to be called doctor should have their license taken away. This makes us all look bad and it was stressed to us heavily during school. Physician Assistants went to school to be a PA, not a doctor and a large majority are extremely happy with their decision. Even if the PA or NP has a doctorate degree, they should not be addressed as doctor in the clinical field.

let this thread rest in peace please

Maybe this person also has a PhD, and has therefore gone by "doctor", even before he/she became a PA.

Still shouldn't use it in a clinical setting. Like law2doc said, it's FRAUD.

hehe that is kinda weird that they would insist on calling themselves a doctor, I know I would get pretty annoyed if a PA introduced themselves as Dr. in front of me.

Is it actually illegal for someone who is not an MD/DO to refer to themselves as "Doctor" in a hospital, or is there really not much you could do about it? Is there an actual written law?

Is it actually illegal for someone who is not an MD/DO to refer to themselves as "Doctor" in a hospital, or is there really not much you could do about it? Is there an actual written law?
Depends on your state.

In some of them, it is quite illegal to refer to yourself as a doctor in a clinical setting unless you are an MD/DO.

i think it's just flat out unprofessional to introduce yourself as something you are not.

as for the PA thing, Mr or Mrs unless you're cool on a first name basis

Patients have a difficult enough time delineating what a "medical student" is. In clinical settings, we wear white coats. Hell, even if we wore a clown suit, if we had a stethoscope around our neck and tried to act intelligent, they're gonna peg us as a doctor half the time.

Now you're expecting patients to interact with someone in a whitecoat, dispensing actual medical advice, who refers to him or herself as "doctor", and not get confused?

The midlevels who insist on being referred to as "doctor" in any type of setting are not the kind of people who are going to go out of their way to say "I'm not a doctor, I'm a PA . . . "
Yeah, I can't believe how often I get called doctor.

I'm really glad this issue was settled. I'm curious though, how would you address an adult film "actress"? is it the same way you address a stripper? and what if it's a guy? Please, if somebody here knows I would really appreciate finding out, ASAP. Thanks!

I'm really glad this issue was settled. I'm curious though, how would you address an adult film "actress"? is it the same way you address a stripper? and what if it's a guy? Please, if somebody here knows I would really appreciate finding out, ASAP. Thanks!

Hmm, looking to take a little walk on the wild side, eh? :)

Let's say I got a Ph.D. in journalism or public health. Let's say I work a side job along with my clinical job. For my clinical job I only have a masters degree. In the clinical setting, one should go by the name they have (personal name and degree name). For my journalism or public health job, I could go by the word "doctor." But what is the point? Just go by your name and try to be a good co-worker.

People who want to be called a doctor in a medical setting without having an MD are just idiots and are MD wannabes. A person who calls them self by the degree they have and have the ability to think like a doctor is one that I would respect. Just follow what one can and can't do and know your limitations.

IMHO, you don't have to be a Physician to be called a "Doc". I was called "Doc" quite frequently during my honeymoon.

As a physician, I'm always going to ask that my co-workers, staff and patients call me by my first name. Because my name isn't Doctor <<last name>>, it's Tim... and I want to know them as people and for them to know me as a person, not as a title.

... but I know I'll be pretty unique in that respect, and that's just fine by me :)

Many of the best doctors I know happen to have this policy, and it always just made sense to me.

This is my first time venturing into this topic, so pardon bringing up such a belated response, but we think alike! Even as a doctor, I'd rather not be called "doctor" because it creates a psychological/social boundary between me and the person calling me that. Plus, I'll probably never get over the awkward and uncomfortable feeling that I get when someone calls me that.

This is my first time venturing into this topic, so pardon bringing up such a belated response, but we think alike! Even as a doctor, I'd rather not be called "doctor" because it creates a psychological/social boundary between you and the person calling you that.

I agree with Fizzle. I will be called by my first name by my patients. The only time I want to be called doctor is when I am talking to my peers from HS that i did not like...THey can call me Dr. Sankondbest

A) Someone that regrets not going to med school.
B) Someone that wishes he earned the Dr. title they use
C) Hey you
D) All of the above

D.

Wow.. I'm wondering which medical school accepted you.. that is really scary. Maybe you should consider not answering threads that you don't know anything about.