What do you call yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudentmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When someone (non-medical) asks what type of doctor you are... Ophthalmologist? Eye Surgeon? Eye Physician?

The reason I am asking is that I was talking to someone who had no earthly idea what an ophthalmologist was and was wondering if that happens a lot... Seems easier to just say 'eye surgeon', but was wondering what standard practice was..

Members don't see this ad.

I always say eye surgeon...pretty hard to misinterpret that.

-K

agreed
eye surgeon

i also introduce myself as doctor plasticbuddy
ALWAYS, i mean like even when i met my gf's parents i was like hey there i'm doctor plasticbuddy

j/k

Members don't see this ad :)
There is this guy I know who thinks he's pretty smart, and I told him I wanted to be an eye surgeon and he said, "Don't you mean an Ophthalmologist"?

I wanted to smack him. :poke:

There is this guy I know who thinks he's pretty smart, and I told him I wanted to be an eye surgeon and he said, "Don't you mean an Ophthalmologist"?

I wanted to smack him. :poke:

If you're going to smack him...dont do it directly in the eye with a wood stick like your illustration...well, I guess I'm not on call this weekend...

and to answer your question, I call myself Dr Eyeball Cutter Person

Why not just call yourself a physician. If they are interested in knowing which specialty, they will ask.

Either that or say you are a meat cutter, working in the meat department. You should say that when you fix your car or hire a plumber unless you want a higher bill. :D

I say ophthalmologist. If they look confused, then I say eye surgeon.