What do you call yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medstudentmed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When someone (non-medical) asks what type of doctor you are... Ophthalmologist? Eye Surgeon? Eye Physician?

The reason I am asking is that I was talking to someone who had no earthly idea what an ophthalmologist was and was wondering if that happens a lot... Seems easier to just say 'eye surgeon', but was wondering what standard practice was..
 
I always say eye surgeon...pretty hard to misinterpret that.

-K

agreed
eye surgeon

i also introduce myself as doctor plasticbuddy
ALWAYS, i mean like even when i met my gf's parents i was like hey there i'm doctor plasticbuddy

j/k
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is this guy I know who thinks he's pretty smart, and I told him I wanted to be an eye surgeon and he said, "Don't you mean an Ophthalmologist"?

I wanted to smack him. :poke:
 
There is this guy I know who thinks he's pretty smart, and I told him I wanted to be an eye surgeon and he said, "Don't you mean an Ophthalmologist"?

I wanted to smack him. :poke:

If you're going to smack him...dont do it directly in the eye with a wood stick like your illustration...well, I guess I'm not on call this weekend...

and to answer your question, I call myself Dr Eyeball Cutter Person
 
Why not just call yourself a physician. If they are interested in knowing which specialty, they will ask.

Either that or say you are a meat cutter, working in the meat department. You should say that when you fix your car or hire a plumber unless you want a higher bill. 😀