What do you do after four years of medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borntobecool

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need some help with how the system works. After you finish four years of medical school, do you apply to the residency that holds the speciality you want, or do you just apply to general residency- such as gyno/ob and so on? Is it possible to apply for, say, cardiology or neurosuergey residency right after you finish medical school or would you have to wait after you finish a whole year of residency in a general area of medicine? thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

you apply for residency. if you want to know what residencies are possible, look at freida: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2997.html

after residency, you can apply for fellowships for a subspecialty. they are also listed on freida, I think. To do cards, gi, heme/onc, you have to do a 3 yr IM residency then fellowship.

weird post.

you apply for a residency spot at the end of 3rd year. interview during 4th. start residency after 4th year. no time off, unless you want to take time off to do research and become more competitive.

most/all residencies start out with an intern year which is basically more general medicine stuff, but still related to your field. but this intern year is built in to the residency program (with some variability...sometimes you have to apply for both an intern year and then you start your residency, whcih you also apply for during 3rd/4th year, as a 2nd year post graduate).

examples:
ob/gyn: 4 years total. 1st year built in is your intern year.
anesthesiology: i think also 4 years total. 1st year you do intern year, which you had to apply for separately. then you start your 2nd post-grad year in anesthesiology for anolther 3 years, i.e., until you complete TOTAL 4 years of post grad work.
cardiology. first apply in your 3rd/4th year of med school for a 3 year internal medicine residency. then when you are in your 3rd year of internal med, apply for a 2-3 year cardiology fellowship. total=3 years internal med + 3 years cardiology~6 years.