MS -1, question re: what to expect next four years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am NOT wealthy enough to treat 250K as nothing :) Our T3/5 cost is $150K not $250K.
"Unless you're so wealthy that you won't miss 250k+ 150k+ whatsoever, it's the same difference in networth at R1 so I'd apply the same logic (250k 150k vs 0 and 0 vs -250k -150k), both times I'd choose the former"

Members don't see this ad.

"Unless you're so wealthy that you won't miss 250k+ 150k+ whatsoever, it's the same difference in networth at R1 so I'd apply the same logic (250k 150k vs 0 and 0 vs -250k -150k), both times I'd choose the former"
I know earnings wise it won't make difference but have to figure of if it's worth to spend $150K more to improve chance of matching in T3.

I know earnings wise it won't make difference but have to figure of if it's worth to spend $150K more to improve chance of matching in T3.
I'd also warn you that priorities are usually different for the match, compared to med school applications. It's very easy for a bunch of 21-22 year old college students to prioritize med school rankings/prestige, because it's pretty much all upside at these places. Pass/fail is more common, aid is more generous, home residencies are stronger on average, grading is usually very inflated, easy to get set up with research mentors, etc.

It's different a few years later. More people have met SOs that factor in, especially if they're also in medicine. Financial aid is out of the picture, now they're all going to pay you ~60-70k so the big names in places like Boston and SF are a worse financial picture. People have aging parents they've been away from for the last decade and start gravitating back towards their home state or region, especially because now you have to start considering what region you want to find your first job. If you are interested in academics, different programs will have different research niches they're strong in. And, if you're a good student that falls in love with a not very competitive field, you'll have no need for pedigree in getting interviews.

TL;DR you should know that you might end up paying $150k more and yet choose a less competitive field or rank less competitive programs at the top of your list anyways.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd also warn you that priorities are usually different for the match, compared to med school applications. It's very easy for a bunch of 21-22 year old college students to prioritize med school rankings/prestige, because it's pretty much all upside at these places. Pass/fail is more common, aid is more generous, home residencies are stronger on average, grading is usually very inflated, easy to get set up with research mentors, etc.

It's different a few years later. More people have met SOs that factor in, especially if they're also in medicine. Financial aid is out of the picture, now they're all going to pay you ~60-70k so the big names in places like Boston and SF are a worse financial picture. People have aging parents they've been away from for the last decade and start gravitating back towards their home state or region, especially because now you have to start considering what region you want to find your first job. If you are interested in academics, different programs will have different research niches they're strong in. And, if you're a good student that falls in love with a not very competitive field, you'll have no need for pedigree in getting interviews.

TL;DR you should know that you might end up paying $150k more and yet choose a less competitive field or rank less competitive programs at the top of your list anyways.
Great points and will use when all the decisions are out and this comes into picture if my kid ends up with full merit from a T20. As per specialties I am pretty sure my kid will go for one of the competitive surgical ones

Though this reply was intended for someone else, this is very valuable advice. Thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
Resuscitating my account just to make this comment

OP, please for the love of god don't worry so much about program prestige, especially this early. As someone who just matched into a competitive surgical subspecialty and interviewed at a number of name-brand prestigious programs, I can tell you that there is very little correlation between doximity or US News or whatever rankings and actual training. In fact, some of the super prestigious ivory tower places that I interviewed at offered objectively worse training than many mid-tier places (not just my observation as an interviewee, this was corroborated by multiple mentors in the field).

Worrying about program rankings at this stage is pointless. The best thing you can do is prepare yourself to be the most successful medical student that you can be. At this point, that means relaxing so you can hit the ground running come Fall.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Read House of God. Harvard will need to hear your opinion on the interview trail

Reactions: 1 user
Do you even have a life lol? As someone who is applying for residency, one thing I regret is I did not enjoy my youth. I assume you start med school in July. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to chill down and enjoy your life.
Agree with this guy chill out man you’re going to regret it