What do you do after you move out of state for school?


Average Fella
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
If the school you'll be attending is private and doesn't offer an in-state discount (or the state is just difficult to reclassify under), what do you do? Can you keep your old driver's license? Do you have to get a new license? Can you keep both? Would it be better to keep a California Residency for any reason after you matriculate (i've heard it doesn't help even if you want to come back to CA to do your residency)?
I'm quite confused as to what to do after the move....


7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm not sure about the California residency helping you or not.

but as a former out-of-state student in undergrad if you want to get a car and insurance in your new state, then you must get a new driver's license.

That's no big deal, b/c if you want to keep your California residency the license is only 1 of many things they look at to determine your residency status: i.e. voters registration, where you pay taxes, etc.

hope this helps
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.