What do you do for serious cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreudsDaddy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say you got a patient with either schizophrenia or schizoaffective. Shes been going through it for 5 years. A lot of delusions and voices. Shes been given haldol, clozapine and pretty much any other anti-psychotic and every other mood stablizer out there. Nothing seems to work. What other options does she have? Also how would you know if she had any damage done to her brain because of it.

I read somewhere by closing her eyes 24 hours a day the voices would stop and would heal her. However I have no faith in that.

Would seeing a neurologist help? I dont know too much about them

Members don't see this ad.

Take some time to read up on some peer-reviewed journals or academic publications, it will give you a much better idea of what is out there.

HERE is the Psychiatry book/article thread.

HERE is the Psychology book/article thread.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember that the OP is a high school graduate, so any heavy reading would probably not be of much use for them.

The eye closing thing is bogus.

Basically, a psychiatrist would have to find a different medication combo or use an adjunctive med strategy to try and bring the positive symptoms under control.

That's the quick, and very dirty answer.

Just remember that the OP is a high school graduate, so any heavy reading would probably not be of much use for them.

Yup....I was thinking about that with some of the more technical journal articles, but there is still some great stuff out there. Schizophrenia Tx isn't exactly light reading in general, so it may have a higher learning curve anyway.

-t