What do you do if a patient refuses life saving care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if someone is in a terrible accident and they refuse life saving care?

And what if the patient is unconscious but is a Jehovah's Witness according to their wallet or something? Do you assume they would not want a blood transfusion if they were awake enough to consent?

Members don't see this ad.

What if someone is in a terrible accident and they refuse life saving care?

And what if the patient is unconscious but is a Jehovah's Witness according to their wallet or something? Do you assume they would not want a blood transfusion if they were awake enough to consent?
Are they coherent and competent? If so you have to respect their wishes.

Jehovas Witness according to wallet but not able to answer? Treat them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told a story in my EMT class where a guy got stabbed and refused care. He was completely aware. They had him sign a form saying he refused treatment and left.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

During my last day shadowing this year, we had a patient who said she would refuse a blood transfusion even in a life saving situation. Doctor respectfully told her he couldn't take her as a patient. He had been previously sued over a situation when another patient refused. It gave me a very realistic understanding of how complicated medical care can be.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Very complex topic but I'll break it down briefly.

In order to make a medical decision you have to first ascertain if the patient has capacity to make that decision. Examples of patients who do not have capacity: infants, patients with very advanced dementia, patients who are altered, etc.

If patient has capacity then find out why they are refusing treatment, i.e. Jehovah's Witness. You'd be surprised though the answers you will get and some you can explain and dismiss or fix (I need to feed my dog).

If they still refuse treatment and have capacity look for alternatives, try to involve family, etc. If still no luck then yeah they can refuse whatever they want.

Be careful though, for instance in the case mentioned above of the stabbing victim, if a bad outcome occurs, one could easily argue that the acute blood loss made the patient delirious and he did not actually have capacity at the time to make the decision.

Overall there is a lot of grey zone. Documentation and witnesses are important in these cases. A signed piece of paper will not protect you from being sued. It may help but documentation is paramount.

Very complex topic but I'll break it down briefly.

In order to make a medical decision you have to first ascertain if the patient has capacity to make that decision. Examples of patients who do not have capacity: infants, patients with very advanced dementia, patients who are altered, etc.

If patient has capacity then find out why they are refusing treatment, i.e. Jehovah's Witness. You'd be surprised though the answers you will get and some you can explain and dismiss or fix (I need to feed my dog).

If they still refuse treatment and have capacity look for alternatives, try to involve family, etc. If still no luck then yeah they can refuse whatever they want.

Be careful though, for instance in the case mentioned above of the stabbing victim, if a bad outcome occurs, one could easily argue that the acute blood loss made the patient delirious and he did not actually have capacity at the time to make the decision.

Overall there is a lot of grey zone. Documentation and witnesses are important in these cases. A signed piece of paper will not protect you from being sued. It may help but documentation is paramount.
To follow up on my colleague's words, in our society, you can get sued for anything. The real question is: will you be successfully sued?

Reactions: 1 user
People file frivolous lawsuits for any reason - whether you act or don't act. It doesn't matter to them as long as they can get a nice slice of your wealth out of it. Even if a mentally sound, competent patient refused life-saving treatment and died due to that personal decision, their family members could still file suit against you and it'd be up to the judge to decide - or jury if they're pressing criminal charges. It's all a very inefficient system but that's the price of living in a democracy.

People file frivolous lawsuits for any reason - whether you act or don't act. It doesn't matter to them as long as they can get a nice slice of your wealth out of it. Even if a mentally sound, competent patient refused life-saving treatment and died due to that personal decision, their family members could still file suit against you and it'd be up to the judge to decide - or jury if they're pressing criminal charges. It's all a very inefficient system but that's the price of living in a democracy.
If you experience litigation for a bad outcome, you may consider tort reform a better price.

Reactions: 1 users
A JW card in someone's wallet wouldn't be enough to stop a doctor from performing a life-saving blood transfusion on an unconscious person. From my understanding, unless there is an officially documented paper or something directly saying otherwise, you do whatever you have to do to save an unconscious person's life. You could get sued either way though anyways.

Someone please correct me if my understanding is wrong.