What do you do in OBC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard it isnt that tough, what exactly does it consist of?

Members don't see this ad.

It's been a while since I did OBC, but unless it's changed dramatically, you will:

1. Sit around in classes all day listening to lectures that for the most part have nothing to do with medicine (my favorite was the class on Soviet artillery).

2. Stand around in formation every so often. Learn how to march, left face, about face, etc (takes about an hour).

3. PT a couple times a week at 0500. Jumping jacks, pushups, situps, 2-3 mile run that's broken into groups based on ability.

4. Spend a week "roughing it" at Camp Bullis (live in huts or tents, run around with field gear, etc).

5. Get to know your fellow OBC people. You'll see lots of them again in residency, future assignments, etc.

6. Have fun in the San Antonio area after hours and on weekends (it helps to have a car).

Basically, don't sweat it.

I would also like to emphasize getting to know your OBC classmates. I have seen many (many!) of them again and I am sure that I will remain life-long friends with several of them.

Have fun and don't fall into the San Antonio River!

G