What do you do in OBC?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by Cerberus, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have heard it isnt that tough, what exactly does it consist of?

2. R-Me-Doc

R-Me-Doc Now an X-R-Me-Doc
    10+ Year Member

It's been a while since I did OBC, but unless it's changed dramatically, you will:

1. Sit around in classes all day listening to lectures that for the most part have nothing to do with medicine (my favorite was the class on Soviet artillery).

2. Stand around in formation every so often. Learn how to march, left face, about face, etc (takes about an hour).

3. PT a couple times a week at 0500. Jumping jacks, pushups, situps, 2-3 mile run that's broken into groups based on ability.

4. Spend a week "roughing it" at Camp Bullis (live in huts or tents, run around with field gear, etc).

5. Get to know your fellow OBC people. You'll see lots of them again in residency, future assignments, etc.

6. Have fun in the San Antonio area after hours and on weekends (it helps to have a car).

Basically, don't sweat it.

3. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    emphasis on this one :)

definitely drive if possible, but if you can't you'll still be ok-- you'll just have to bum rides a lot.

4. GeoLeoX

GeoLeoX Ancient
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would also like to emphasize getting to know your OBC classmates. I have seen many (many!) of them again and I am sure that I will remain life-long friends with several of them.

Have fun and don't fall into the San Antonio River!

G