What do you do with faculty that overtreats at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do with faculty that overtreats at your school, whether is purposely adding probing depths during exams or crowning a tooth that can be saved with a large restoration?

Members don't see this ad.

If you challenge any faculty through the school's directors, there is a good chance that they will treat the issue as an isolated incident. Your only hope is when other students notice the same problems and it turns to a systemic issue, only then there will be a response from the clinical director.

Don't get involved unless more people are there to back you up.

There's also a little thing called years of experience that the faculty has that students very often don't.

That's why you as a student may look at a tooth that needs a restoration as one that could have a large filling, whereas the faculty, likely having seen the "same" scenario themselves (and probably done the same large filling many times too) only to have seen that large filling fracture because of the combination of occlussal forces on the restoration and/or the opposing dentition, only to need that same crown in the not too distant future.

The BETTER way to handle a situation where what you think needs to be treatment planned vs. what the faculty think needs to be treatment planned is to ask them why they're thinking like they are about that case vs. how your brain is thinking about it.

What you learn in practice after a while of watching your work, is that most folks tend to learn more from their failures than from their successes, and as such,.our treatment planning philosophy changes with seeing your "failures" :idea:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get involved unless more people are there to back you up.

Exactly dental school is a place to kiss azz and go with the flow. If you really hate that one instructor then just avoid them. When you get out with your own practice, you can do whatever suits you.

is the instructor overtreating or are you undertreating? They have years of experience...theyre also not being paid based on commission at school so they have zero reason to even be tempted to overtreat. It comes down to experience and judgment. Do you do the large filling or do you do the crown? If you reference your textbooks you do a crown after howevermuch tooth is destroyed yet some dentists will do a large filling due to financing. So is he over or undertreating? Is he adding a mm to probing depths because hes on the verge of perio, yet not quite there, so wants to get him on SRP and 3 month recall to avoid the permament attachment loss and then bone loss that comes with the fractal destruction that happens in the mouth or is he just wanting to charge the patient more money? Your faculty will not get belligerent on you if you let them know your thoughts. Ask me how I know. They are there to impart their wisdom. They like the slow pace of the clinic and taking the time to teach the rookies. My humble advice is do NOT get up on the radar. Keep your head down, say yes no thankyou dr, graduate, and then gtfo of there.

is the instructor overtreating or are you undertreating? They have years of experience...theyre also not being paid based on commission at school so they have zero reason to even be tempted to overtreat. It comes down to experience and judgment. Do you do the large filling or do you do the crown? If you reference your textbooks you do a crown after howevermuch tooth is destroyed yet some dentists will do a large filling due to financing. So is he over or undertreating? Is he adding a mm to probing depths because hes on the verge of perio, yet not quite there, so wants to get him on SRP and 3 month recall to avoid the permament attachment loss and then bone loss that comes with the fractal destruction that happens in the mouth or is he just wanting to charge the patient more money? Your faculty will not get belligerent on you if you let them know your thoughts. Ask me how I know. They are there to impart their wisdom. They like the slow pace of the clinic and taking the time to teach the rookies. My humble advice is do NOT get up on the radar. Keep your head down, say yes no thankyou dr, graduate, and then gtfo of there.

I wish that's entirely true. There are bonuses, days off and job security tied to the amount of production.

good info,They like the slow pace of the clinic and taking the time to teach the rookies. My humble advice is do NOT get up on the radar. Keep your head down, say yes no thankyou dr, graduate, and then gtfo of there.thanks for your sharing.
ab

What do you do with faculty that overtreats at your school, whether is purposely adding probing depths during exams or crowning a tooth that can be saved with a large restoration?
post xrays...

Greetings,

While in DS, you should do what you are told to do because the faculty sees things that you don't simply because they have more experience than you in most cases. However, if you truly believe it is not "right", you can ask to be explained or discuss with another instructor (in private). Any good teacher will sit down and explain the rationales and be glad to do so. The last thing you want is making the faculty felt like he/she is being challenged so you may have to suck it in if it needs to be. A faculty can easily make your life easy or hellish. I went through three residencies and one fellowship and had seen it all. One time, I was asked to do a class II composite in an area where it was physically impossible to get isolation. Therefore I brought it to my instructor and asked on why alloy was not placed instead and explained my concerns. I came to him so I could be taught but rather, he turned red and said " you do it because I TOLD you so !". At that point, I lost all respect for him and did what was asked of me. Clearly, this faculty didn't know the answer and he knew that I got him. DP