theroadtomed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I've had no responsibilites since finals ended last wednesday. My roommates have left for home, and everyone I know has gone home as well. I'm staying in my apartment for the break, but I'm going stir-crazy! I feel like I just must be bad at life overall, while good at school, career, etc. I literally have no idea what to do with my free time. I've played video games, watched t.v., read, but I can only do that so much before I feel bored out of my mind! I just feel like I need some kind of social interaction, but I've no idea how to get it. I have a lab job that starts in a week, but until then...

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
The Danger Zone
Status
Attending Physician
Go to the gym or something? I play basketball a lot so its a social activity for me. Maybe grabbing lunch with some friends you haven't seen in awhile or watching a movie? I was gonna tell you to get hooked on a tv show and rent out some seasons (something I have always wanted to do when bored, but never gotten around to), but it seems like you want to get out of the house. Either way, if you are starting a job next week, you'll be fine.

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i kinda hang around SDN, read books, watch TV, takes multiple showers and baths, um.. go see a movie?

About the Ads

otterpop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I feel you. Take something up. If you're into exercising, set a goal. Before you know it, your break will be over and you'll miss it.

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I feel you. Take something up. If you're into exercising, set a goal. Before you know it, your break will be over and you'll miss it.
truer words could not be said. lol

Food

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Unemployment office
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I've started building a full Halo Master Chief costume...out of cardstock, hot glue, and fiberglass resin. We'll see if it's ready in time for halloween next year. Also, I play Starcraft...too much.

And come on SDN...and cry about not having many interviews yet.

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status
Pre-Medical
I've started building a full Halo Master Chief costume...out of cardstock, hot glue, and fiberglass resin. We'll see if it's ready in time for halloween next year. Also, I play Starcraft...too much.

And come on SDN...and cry about not having many interviews yet.
when you do get interviews, you should wear that costume to em

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
Going to the gym/playing basketball are great ways to eat up some time. You could try taking up something completely random as well like cooking.

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status
Pre-Medical
am i the only one that considers the gym a part of my regular day and not just some freetime activity lol

Fatima41200

fdsaf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
th
Status
Pre-Medical
hehe I am trying to get a job at a Psychiatric institution as a Psychiatric Assistant, went for an interview last monday, they told me to call HR sometime next week to check on my status, they have to do a background check. :(

for now I am not really doing anything just looking around on the internets and catching up on my scrubs episodes.

About the Ads

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
The Sunny South
Sleeping in as late as possible (not recommended), catching up on 24 Season 6, eating frozen pizzas and hot pockets, thinking about exercise, and taking my dog for car rides. I've also been working some in the NOVA physics book late at night when I'm at work.

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
Sleeping in as late as possible (not recommended), catching up on 24 Season 6, eating frozen pizzas and hot pockets, thinking about exercise, and taking my dog for car rides. I've also been working some in the NOVA physics book late at night when I'm at work.
practice law @ night?

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Dagobah System
Status
Attending Physician
I walk my dogs, exercise, make better food than I'm used to, read, rent bunches of movies that I missed while I was busy, i'm considering starting a blog to spew my political opinions across the interweb, instant message/email friends in other states/countries, hang out on SDN, consume generous quantities of ETOH(usually not by myself though).

The solution to your problem sounds like it's to find another person to share all the downtime with. Maybe you could go find another person to hang out with?

am i the only one that considers the gym a part of my regular day and not just some freetime activity lol
I try to, but it's usually one of the first things to get cut if i'm busy.

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
I walk my dogs, exercise, make better food than I'm used to, read, rent bunches of movies that I missed while I was busy, i'm considering starting a blog to spew my political opinions across the interweb, instant message/email friends in other states/countries, hang out on SDN, consume generous quantities of ETOH(usually not by myself though).

The solution to your problem sounds like it's to find another person to share all the downtime with. Maybe you could go find another person to hang out with?

I try to, but it's usually one of the first things to get cut if i'm busy.
ETOH? Whats that?

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
By the way, if anyone can give me movie recommendations, it would be much appreciated. I rented the Love Guru last night via On-Demand. It was by far the worst movie I've ever seen. (already saw Batman, 21). When I look at these new movies, they look uninteresting.

enjoydrywax

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Status
By the way, if anyone can give me movie recommendations, it would be much appreciated. I rented the Love Guru last night via On-Demand. It was by far the worst movie I've ever seen. (already saw Batman, 21). When I look at these new movies, they look uninteresting.
Dude go see slumdog millionaire... EPIC movie

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
The Danger Zone
Status
Attending Physician
Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express were pretty funny. I've been trying to look up old classics that I've always heard about but never seen...like Fargo, Silence of the Lambs, Chariots of Fire, Scarface, Good Will Hunting, etc.

About the Ads

Food

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Unemployment office
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Nah...it's not a free time activity for me. Playing racquetball at the gym after "arms" day is though, and a painful one at that.

theroadtomed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been exercising, reading, etc. I would take the advice of finding someone to spend the time with, but I literally don't know of a single person still around campus. It's a very lonely feeling, and makes the boredom worse.

CafeMed

Bitter
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
:laugh: It's part of my regular day activity, but I've actually been slacking since break started. I need to get to Wooden tomorrow because they're closed for freakin' 3 days next week.

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express were pretty funny. I've been trying to look up old classics that I've always heard about but never seen...like Fargo, Silence of the Lambs, Chariots of Fire, Scarface, Good Will Hunting, etc.
I want to see Pineapple Express but it doesn't come out till January.

Fatima41200

fdsaf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
th
Status
Pre-Medical
oh and I also read craigslist personals on my free time, they are very amusing.

Surferboy

basileus
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
:laugh: It's part of my regular day activity, but I've actually been slacking since break started. I need to get to Wooden tomorrow because they're closed for freakin' 3 days next week.
Woooooooden. My New Year's resolution is to make Wooden my second home.

But to the OP, I surf regularly. I go to Malibu atleast 3-4 days a week for 2-3 hr surf sessions. But living in a fraternity house...well let's just say it takes more effort to study than enjoy free time. There is always someone around the house that wants to do something.

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
The Danger Zone
Status
Attending Physician
yeah it makes me wonder how many of those are actually real. I know I have published plenty of fake ones just to get a few laughs from the replies.
why did you just ruin it for me? I wanted to believe that these people actually existed for my entertainment! ignorance was such bliss :)
either way, they make me laugh. the woman with a mechanized dinosaur fetish from Jurassic park was especially hilarious.

Fatima41200

fdsaf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
th
Status
Pre-Medical
why did you just ruin it for me? I wanted to believe that these people actually existed for my entertainment! ignorance was such bliss :)
either way, they make me laugh. the woman with a mechanized dinosaur fetish from Jurassic park was especially hilarious.
Yeah, that was me. Sorry to ruin it for you :(

About the Ads

CafeMed

Bitter
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
yeah it makes me wonder how many of those are actually real. I know I have published plenty of fake ones just to get a few laughs from the replies.
Haha, very true, really makes you wonder. I got an email from craigslist and found out my friend had placed this idiotic fake personal ad for me on there.

Fatima41200

fdsaf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
th
Status
Pre-Medical
Haha, very true, really makes you wonder. I got an email from craigslist and found out my friend had placed this idiotic fake personal ad for me on there.
hehe it is the best when you're reading craigslist and find a personal ad of someone that you know in real life, or have seen around town before.

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
hahahaha
thats awesome

We should an SDN post your personal ad
But make it unserious

Fine flame me

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah i dont get why its closed on friday. really lame.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
:thumbup: So do I. I plan my day around the gym...it's kinda pathetic :p

CafeMed

Bitter
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
hahahaha
thats awesome

We should an SDN post your personal ad
But make it unserious

Fine flame me
:laugh: Hmmm...we should, huh?

Same here! I actually feel bad for the rest of the day if I don't go to the gym. I'm always like, damn, I should've gone to the gym today. You just feel better after getting your workout done.

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
House.

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Haha I must be REALLY pathetic then :D

Whats more pathetic is I haul a cooler of 4-5 tupperware meals around school every day to make sure my diet is always spot on LOL :)

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Haha I must be REALLY pathetic then :D

Whats more pathetic is I haul a cooler of 4-5 tupperware meals around school every day to make sure my diet is always spot on LOL :)
I wish I had that dedication...

It's ok though, I keep telling myself that tomorrow is the day I will start to eat right and work out. Man, I love tomorrow.

adizz mfresh

not set up to mold rubber
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
CA
Status
Pre-Medical
You should read Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road by Neil Peart. It's a pretty good book about coping with losses. Probably a good read for anyone going into med school.

This is actually required reading if you attend Rush Med School... Neil was one of the founders of that school along with Geddy and Alex.

OOOO I do love Rush.

About the Ads