What do you feel sets you apart from other applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CptCrunch said:
Go for cantonese, we make better food.

Thai=best asian food. Fried baby birds are much better than dog.

Members don't see this ad.

maestro1625 said:
Nothing. I'm a generic suburban white kid from a medically inclined family with an average GPA and decent MCATs with a few choice ecs thrown in.

Not the type of person you'd add to your school to advertize it's diversity.

:laugh: :laugh:

me too...you'll NEVER see me in a school's viewbook! I have no hook, no spectacular EC, nothing that sets me apart, nothing to talk about passionately during interview/essays, no real accomplishments, nothing. :laugh: :laugh:

4paw said:
e-phn -

the crazy thing is both myself and my cousin have learned italian and neither of us have italian roots. one of the translations is that i learned italian because i had a fiance' once who was italo-canadian. gaelic is the language i *should* be learning, or cree, for current love :)

so, you go girl! whatever language! do it for love, do it for knowing what the heck people are talking about, and whether they are talking about you :)

thanks. i wish i can speak 6 languages. that'll be awesome! :D
it is one of my goal in life. hopefully, i will make it comes true before i die.

edit: i know 6 languages are a lot, but it's cool to set up a high goal like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Languages get easier after you learn one. Italian is the only language where I can really converse in, but I can understand quite a bit of spanish and speak enough to get around, and from the limited time I've spent on other languages since I can tell I'm improving much more quickly than I originally did.

Hopeful_Doc said:
I am trying to get an idea of what people have done that really puts them head and shoulders over the competition. I fear with mounding courseloads (next semester being 20 credits), my ability to do extracurriculars and unique experiences will be limited so I'd like to know what you (my fellow pre-meds) classify as unique.

so what makes you better than john or jane q public in terms of uniqueness?

:)

thanks.

I am afr. amer....that definitely sets me apart :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm planning on painting my face green and claim that I'm from the planet Mars and that the Martians are really underserved and need more doctors.

novawildcat said:
Thai=best asian food. Fried baby birds are much better than dog.

ha..ha. i eat a lot of thai food too, but i still find chinese more yummy.

Zuerst said:
I'm planning on painting my face green and claim that I'm from the planet Mars and that the Martians are really underserved and need more doctors.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ahem, austinap, after seeing your pic in another thread and reading/hearing your italian, i must say :love: . haha. AND you never went tandem??? :eek: Brass ones you have my friend.

mychelle774 said:
Ahem, austinap, after seeing your pic in another thread and reading/hearing your italian, i must say :love: . :laugh:

i agree. austinap is a special guy.

What sets me apart from the other applicants is that I am an Asian and we are not overrepresented at ALL the med schools yet----I hope to help rectify that situation by adding one more asian into the med school population. :D

Seriously, I think I am a bit unique in that I was an engineer, had worked for a while and then quit to try for med school.

CptCrunch said:
Go for cantonese, we make better food.

i agree. cantonese food is the best.

Touchdown said:
As you can see from my avaitar Im a big fan of the point (allthough its not my favorite park bit looses to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg and Disney World because roller coasters should not be the end all be all of the park,) assuming youre in Ohio though Kings Island down in Cinci is a great park, with my favorite wooden roller coaster (and the worlds longest) the Beast! But nationally out of the ones Ive been to (and off the top of my head: )

5 stars (I wish I could live here: )
-Disney World
-Islands of Adventure & Universal (FL)
-Busch Gardens Williamsburg (VA)
-Cedar Point

4 stars (would love to have a season pass to these: )
-Paramount's King's Island (OH)
-Busch Gardens Tampa
-Hersheypark (PA, going there a week from today :) )
-Six Flags Fiesta Texas (TX)
-Kennywood (PA)

3 stars (definatly worth my time: )
-Six Flags Great America (IL)
-Holiday World (IN)
-Canobie Lake Park (NH)
-Dorney Park (PA)
-Guargea Lake (OH)
-Worlds of Fun (MO)

Have you been to Six Flags Great Adventure (NJ)? Obviously I'm biased because I'm from Jersey but I definitely think its an awesome park and most recently had the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world... although my bf tells me that Cedar Point usually holds this title the rest of the time so maybe thats not such a boasting point...

Members don't see this ad :)
I practice Capoeira, an Afro-Brazilian martial art.

Touchdown said:
As you can see from my avaitar Im a big fan of the point (allthough its not my favorite park bit looses to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg and Disney World because roller coasters should not be the end all be all of the park,) assuming youre in Ohio though Kings Island down in Cinci is a great park, with my favorite wooden roller coaster (and the worlds longest) the Beast! But nationally out of the ones Ive been to (and off the top of my head: )

5 stars (I wish I could live here: )
-Disney World
-Islands of Adventure & Universal (FL)
-Busch Gardens Williamsburg (VA)
-Cedar Point

4 stars (would love to have a season pass to these: )
-Paramount's King's Island (OH)
-Busch Gardens Tampa
-Hersheypark (PA, going there a week from today :) )
-Six Flags Fiesta Texas (TX)
-Kennywood (PA)

3 stars (definatly worth my time: )
-Holiday World (IN)
-Canobie Lake Park (NH)
-Dorney Park (PA)
-Guargea Lake (OH)
-Worlds of Fun (MO)

You need to check out six flags magic mountain!!!!!!!
Hands down the best amusement park in the nation...nicknamed the extreme park b/c of all its crazy coasters...that place is insane and constantly expanding....check out this link
http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicmountain/index.asp

i'm taller than ~50% of all men.

jebus said:
i'm taller than ~50% of all men.

Goddam you jebus. I was just sitting here, thinking I should go and post on that thread about how fvucking tall I am and you go and steal my thunder.

jebus said:
that is poetry.

rar

Ok, now back to haitus. If anyone pms me I'm going to cut their balls off.

MediMama23 said:
My fingerprint. :thumbup:

And if that doesn't sell them, I don't know what will.

:laugh: I actually laughed out loud.

Rafa said:
LOL. Being a woman hasn't set you apart in applying to med school for a few years now.

Unfortunately. I wish that would still be a booster.

MDGuy07 said:
Not likely in the medical admissions process. :oops:

However, say someone has volunteered at a clinic every weekend for over 10 years, then I would agree with you.

I think it's safe to assume the level of volunteer work most premedical students do will "greatly diminish" once accepted into medical school. :D :D

Which can be contributed, at least in part, to how much more time will have to go into studying.

Obviously, at least a few pre-meds actually volunteer because they care, otherwise organizations like Doctors Without Borders would not exist. My church has medical mission trips to S. America at least once a year, which you have to pay to be a part of... therefore, at least a few of them/us like to help others for reasons other than just trying to get into medical school.

Also, don't we all want to be doctors so we can help people and make some $$ & have job security and all that in the process?

riceman04 said:
I am afr. amer....that definitely sets me apart :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

best post ever (if its true)
-mota

kirexhana said:
i really hope for your sake that you mean you're either really short or really tall. cuz if it's the other meaning, i have to ask, do you get light headed?

:laugh: TIA or erection? ROFL

javert said:
Have you been to Six Flags Great Adventure (NJ)? Obviously I'm biased because I'm from Jersey but I definitely think its an awesome park and most recently had the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world... although my bf tells me that Cedar Point usually holds this title the rest of the time so maybe thats not such a boasting point...

OMG... Rugirlie is that you? Are classes over for you all yet?

mychelle774 said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ahem, austinap, after seeing your pic in another thread and reading/hearing your italian, i must say :love: . haha. AND you never went tandem??? :eek: Brass ones you have my friend.

:oops: :)

Unfortunately my italian is unforgivably rusty, but that's something I hope to work on over the summer.

Nope, I never went tandem. I went to a place that had a static line course. Basically, they strap a rope to both your chute and the plane, and push you out. The rope pulls your chute out after about 20 feet down, and then you just get to play around gliding back to the drop zone. After doing about 5 of these, they lose the rope and just push you out. It was definately a rush, but I guess I'd rather jump out of those planes than be in them for the landing. Cessnas freak me out! :eek:

Hopeful_Doc said:
so what makes you better than john or jane q public in terms of uniqueness?

:)

thanks.

A crapload of waitlists two years in a row with no acceptances.

the stick in my butt is bigger that most other peoples'.

I once saved a beached baby dolphin.

Then I ate it.

i once did a double flip into a belly flop into a pool. my stomach was red for weeks.

on a serious note, i have lots of research under my belt.

I have not been to SFGAdv or SFMM, unfortunatly and while I would love to ride their rides Im not in a hurry to go, Kinga Ka just had yet another major mishap (involving the launch cable car) thats going to shut it down for at least a month (dont get me started on that type of coaster, all of the big versions of them have had major problems every year) and because all of the reviews I have read say how much they loved the ride but hated the experience (3+ hour lines, one train operation, little or no flat ride operation, dirty parks, rude employees, etc.) Hopefully SFMM will start to turn this around with Tatsu this year and suposedly there is a system wide effort to improve all the Six Flags customer service records this year.

Apperently you guys have had better experiences, so maybe Ill finally suck it up and head to one of these (the last two major Six Flags parks I havent been to) soon, but not this year. Since I live close and own a season pass to my favorite amusment park north of Orlando (Busch Gardens Williamsburg) and Hersheypark (another one of my favorites) my coaster itch will be sufficiently scratched this year and for the first time in 10+ years I will not be stepping foot inside a Six Flags park.

They use to have Astroworld in Houston. It closed... =(

I spent 6 weeks one summer in Sarajevo, Bosnia doing missions work, and teaching conversational English to university students.

Touchdown said:
My strange list of ways to pass my free time:

1. Sports-Football (passionate Green Bay and ND fan) and College Basketball

Rock on GB fan! :) :thumbup:

Go Pack Go!
Cant really help it, living 20 mins from the center of the professional football universe for the last 10 years ;)

Hopefully the team can bounce back this year, glad we picked up Hawk in the draft.

austinap said:
:oops: :)

Unfortunately my italian is unforgivably rusty, but that's something I hope to work on over the summer.

Nope, I never went tandem. I went to a place that had a static line course. Basically, they strap a rope to both your chute and the plane, and push you out. The rope pulls your chute out after about 20 feet down, and then you just get to play around gliding back to the drop zone. After doing about 5 of these, they lose the rope and just push you out. It was definately a rush, but I guess I'd rather jump out of those planes than be in them for the landing. Cessnas freak me out! :eek:

Well to us your italian looked smooth as can be :D .
I've never heard of the static line course, but despite the rope being there to pull your cord (only 20 ft of free fall? :( ), I would still think it's scary not to have a guy strapped to your back to make sure you're arched the right way and have a low center of gravity for stability. I would be flailing and a lot more panicked if I was in your shoes. :laugh: Ok not really, I think I did pretty well for my first time. What's cessnas?

austinap said:
I love skydiving! I got trained in on a static line, so I never even had to go tandem. It really is quite a rush knowing that you have to pull that little string within about 5 seconds or you're going to hit the ground at 110 mph. Somehow, scuba diving is still considered more dangerous than this.... ;)

My first jump was AFF1, i.e., solo. Sure, I had two jump masters on each side of me but I pulled the cord and landed it all by myself. I don't have my log book with me but I think terminal velocity on that first jump was 120 MPH with a 60 second free fall. I've never been tandem. I've never jumped static line.

Skydiving rocks!

One of my unique ECs is I am an appointee by the county commission to represent my township on the county's "Senior Board." My township is the fastest growing section of the county and I represent approximately 40,000 people. It's a volunteer position.

mychelle774 said:
Well to us your italian looked smooth as can be :D .
I've never heard of the static line course, but despite the rope being there to pull your cord (only 20 ft of free fall? :( ), I would still think it's scary not to have a guy strapped to your back to make sure you're arched the right way and have a low center of gravity for stability. I would be flailing and a lot more panicked if I was in your shoes. :laugh: Ok not really, I think I did pretty well for my first time. What's cessnas?

Yeah the freefall is pretty short at first, but they work you up to longer times pretty quickly. Cessnas are those little single-prop airplanes. Basically they put 4 people + pilot in them, and make you climb out onto the wing strut to jump. It's pretty crazy the first time they open the door and make you hang from the wing of a plane with nothing hooked to you! I love it.

All this talk of italian and other fun stuff is making me feel boring now. I haven't had a chance to do any of this stuff at all this semester! Stupid classes.... anyone have any bright ideas for something fun over the summer?

austinap said:
Yeah the freefall is pretty short at first, but they work you up to longer times pretty quickly. Cessnas are those little single-prop airplanes. Basically they put 4 people + pilot in them, and make you climb out onto the wing strut to jump. It's pretty crazy the first time they open the door and make you hang from the wing of a plane with nothing hooked to you! I love it.

All this talk of italian and other fun stuff is making me feel boring now. I haven't had a chance to do any of this stuff at all this semester! Stupid classes.... anyone have any bright ideas for something fun over the summer?

Try the search engine. It has some threads on that.

austinap said:

to answer your question...

1. El Nido, Philippines

2. Paluki in Poland

3. Ninety Mile Beach, Australia

4. Taj Mahal in Agra, India

5. Colca Canyon in Peru

these are some of my favorite places.

edit: 6. River Seine in France is a nice place too.

e_phn said:
i mean by sdn search engine, not google, yahoo, etc.
Yeah, I knew what you meant. It's set up at the top of the page so that you can use the Google engine to search exclusively SDN, but it blows! I never get good results.

MediMama23 said:
Do you have that link on copy/paste?

You've been slinging that thing all over the forum!! :laugh:

But I like it! :thumbup:
:rolleyes:

I figure if I post it enough... Just kidding! I just find it so helpful it makes me kinda sad that people haven't been getting good results. Yeah, I'm a dork I know.

Touchdown said:
Go Pack Go!
Cant really help it, living 20 mins from the center of the professional football universe for the last 10 years ;)

Hopefully the team can bounce back this year, glad we picked up Hawk in the draft.

I was so happy about Hawk too. I was sure that we would be stupid and take Vernon Davis as an attempt to make Favre happy. Granted I think that Davis will be a good tight end, but we had no starting LBs besides Barnett going into the draft.

We'll see this year. I'm thinking it will be a rebuilding one and I'd like to see Rodgers play towards the end of the season if we aren't going to make it to the playoffs.

Anastasis said:
Sometimes people volunteer because they care.
Wow, really? I didn't realize that.

However, you missed the fact that the poster you quoted didn't deny that fact, s/he simply said that they are NOT someone who volunteered while pretending to care.

As for me, I can't think of anything I've done that someone else hasn't done before in a bigger, better way, but I'm dedicated and hard-working, and if I put my mind to it, then I can accomplish it.

Touchdown said:
That's the only one I've been to (it's less than an hour away), and it is pretty awesome. Batman was pretty revolutionary for its time (it's still a good ride, just a bit neck-snapping), and American Eagle is quite the classic. Raging Bull and Superman are just out of this world.