What do you guy's do during your leisure time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Propofol482

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just curious what you guy's do for fun when your off? The sterotypical response is golf, which is cool b/c I play golf also. I was wondering if anyone does anything that might be kind of risky, like mountain biking, wakeboarding, riding motorcycles (supercross, motocross, streetbike) or do you have to worry about work and play it safe? I know some people do not have an interest in those sports but I was just wondering if some do. I'm just curious about the different kinds of personalities that Dr.'s have.
 
Windsurf all year round and snowboard in the winter --- yeah, Zippy is one radical dude! ---Zip
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thats cool, sounds like you guy's have a lot of fun. I didn't know if groups that you work for are like, if you get hurt (broken arm or something) outside of work for doing something stupid your @$$ is grass.
 
Propofol482 said:
Thats cool, sounds like you guy's have a lot of fun. I didn't know if groups that you work for are like, if you get hurt (broken arm or something) outside of work for doing something stupid your @$$ is grass.

That's what disability insurance is for.....and also depends on how your partners feel about you...whether they are willing to wait for you to come back or not.
 
Running, backcountry hiking and skiing. Candlelight dinners, hangin' with the D-O double G. Going to the Compton swap meet, playin' the $20 sack pyramid...
 
Propofol482 said:
I was just curious what you guy's do for fun when your off? The sterotypical response is golf, which is cool b/c I play golf also. I was wondering if anyone does anything that might be kind of risky, like mountain biking, wakeboarding, riding motorcycles (supercross, motocross, streetbike) or do you have to worry about work and play it safe? I know some people do not have an interest in those sports but I was just wondering if some do. I'm just curious about the different kinds of personalities that Dr.'s have.

Check out he avatar..

Had a Hayabusa but started to scare myself with wheelies and aberrant riding behavior so I sold it

Gym rat

Shooting quarters at 100....inches :laugh:

DEFINITELY doing my share of twelve ounce curls after the ordeal my family and I have been through in the last cuppla weeks...geez, 2 weeks ago I was in a beautiful house, had a condo in Pass Christian Mississippi, my 2 year old's bathroom had a custom aquatic mural on the walls, my wife was in her utopia surrounded by family and friends..

Now we're in a rent house the size of my house's master bedroom with no washer dryer, no garbage disposal, in a strange city, with uncertainty in our future.

Count your blessings, everyone. I'm counting mine. At least I can set up shop somewhere else. HUg your kids. And dont take your washer dryer/garbage disposal for granted. Or your house. Or your family.
 
There are no words that would make things better, but man I wish I could help out. I'm a broke undergrad student trying to get into med school though, so there is not much I have to offer. I wish you the best man, and I hope everything goes well for you while you and your family recover.👍
 
jetproppilot said:
Count your blessings, everyone. I'm counting mine. At least I can set up shop somewhere else. HUg your kids. And dont take your washer dryer/garbage disposal for granted. Or your house. Or your family.

I hear you brother. Never take anything for granted. Life is too short to bitch about a lot of things.
 
I like to f*ck, f*ck, and then some. 😀

Just kidding. Lets see. Golf, video games, movies, going out to eat, pool, flag football, table tennis. You know the usual. Oh and lets not forget f*cking. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Propofol482 said:
I was just curious what you guy's do for fun when your off? The sterotypical response is golf, which is cool b/c I play golf also. I was wondering if anyone does anything that might be kind of risky, like mountain biking, wakeboarding, riding motorcycles (supercross, motocross, streetbike) or do you have to worry about work and play it safe? I know some people do not have an interest in those sports but I was just wondering if some do. I'm just curious about the different kinds of personalities that Dr.'s have.

Skiing, snowboarding, rock and ice climbing, slack line (everyone needs one of these in their home), mountain biking, foreign language, surfing, kayaking, and my newest hobby....surfing my kayak in the ocean.
 
Jet, It sounds like you are back to the life of a med stud. or a resident with those living conditions. If you are interested in some work in Colorado while you are waiting for your job to resurface or whatever, let me know. I'd enjoy working with you and could arrange a period of time most likely.

As far as hobbies go I have too many but my biggest interests are in mtnbiking (downhill and crosscountry), backcountry snowboarding (love the powpow), wheelin' (check avatar), plan on doing the Baja 1000 on two wheels, surfing (Costa Rica) and hiking any 14er that I can't ride up. Kayaking has entered the picture recently. Gotta do something with all that snow fall when it melts. Ditto the disability insurance.
 
Just a 4th yr med student, but:
Mtn biking
Lifting
4-wheelin'
2-wheelin'
running
fishing
basketball
swimming
rollerblading/hockey
partying w friends
takin the woman out
music/guitar/bass/ta'ble
apple computers
sdn
and last but not least, my personal fave: muay thai

got a bunch of other things I do, but these are the things I do on a weekly/biweekly basis.

Good to see that, as with most other anesthesiologists I've met, we all take our fun pretty seriously. I've also noticed that roughly 30-35% of anesthesiologists are pretty buff dudes, which is about 30% more than any other specialty I've seen... except ortho... saw a few linebacker types during those days.
 
It's cool to see that there are a lot of people with the same interests as I have. I was worried that once you have a secure spot in a group that you have to watch what you do or get the boot. 😱

As far as my hobbies:
Was a Pro Bmx'er
Raced motocross
:Then had to take school seriously:
Now I started riding mountain bikes to keep in shape.
Lift (have a bowflex right behind my desk for study breaks)
Golf sometimes, if i'm not to pissed at it. :meanie:

Anesthesiologist's are the coolest doc's that I talked to while I was working as a Pharm. Tech. in a hospital, and this thread has backed it up!
 
Noyac said:
Jet, It sounds like you are back to the life of a med stud. or a resident with those living conditions. If you are interested in some work in Colorado while you are waiting for your job to resurface or whatever, let me know. I'd enjoy working with you and could arrange a period of time most likely.

As far as hobbies go I have too many but my biggest interests are in mtnbiking (downhill and crosscountry), backcountry snowboarding (love the powpow), wheelin' (check avatar), plan on doing the Baja 1000 on two wheels, surfing (Costa Rica) and hiking any 14er that I can't ride up. Kayaking has entered the picture recently. Gotta do something with all that snow fall when it melts. Ditto the disability insurance.

Thanks for the offer, Noyac. Think I'm OK...will wait it out with some contract work in my previous' gig's city, a little banked C-notes, and kinda see what happens. But if I get to the point where I'm making a sign that says I'll Put You To Sleep For Food , I'll call you! :laugh:

Dude, with all due respect to your 4X4, I've got a Yukon XL on 38s with a nine inch lift....don't f uck with me when it comes to redneck trucks!! :laugh: :laugh:
 
Noyac said:
Jet, It sounds like you are back to the life of a med stud. or a resident with those living conditions. If you are interested in some work in Colorado while you are waiting for your job to resurface or whatever, let me know. I'd enjoy working with you and could arrange a period of time most likely.

As far as hobbies go I have too many but my biggest interests are in mtnbiking (downhill and crosscountry), backcountry snowboarding (love the powpow), wheelin' (check avatar), plan on doing the Baja 1000 on two wheels, surfing (Costa Rica) and hiking any 14er that I can't ride up. Kayaking has entered the picture recently. Gotta do something with all that snow fall when it melts. Ditto the disability insurance.

And Dude, Colorado is a phenomenal state. And your words mean alot to me. Thanks, Bro. Really. 👍
 
jetproppilot said:
Dude, with all due respect to your 4X4, I've got a Yukon XL on 38s with a nine inch lift....don't f uck with me when it comes to redneck trucks!! :laugh: :laugh:
I have a Dodge Ram with 35's and a 4-inch lift. I added the dual exhaust to make it a little more obnoxious....rattles the neighbors out of bed every morning when I crank her up. I would have gone with a higher lift/tire combo, but right now I only have 1 1/4 inch clearance in the parking garage at the hospital. Oh, well.
 
Whole lotta poker, gotta makin a living in medical school somehow b/c the they don't pay you a whole lot. The gym is also a favorite activity as are the clubs around the L.A. area
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
toofache32 said:
I have a Dodge Ram with 35's and a 4-inch lift. I added the dual exhaust to make it a little more obnoxious....rattles the neighbors out of bed every morning when I crank her up. I would have gone with a higher lift/tire combo, but right now I only have 1 1/4 inch clearance in the parking garage at the hospital. Oh, well.

I'm not even close to getting into the parking lot...gotta park a block away...sacrifices a redneck makes!

Dual exhaust, Hyper-tech computer chip givin 40 more HP, throttle body lifter, cold air intake, OHHH YEAHHHH!!!
 
jetproppilot said:
Dude, with all due respect to your 4X4, I've got a Yukon XL on 38s with a nine inch lift....don't f uck with me when it comes to redneck trucks!! :laugh: :laugh:

Yukon with 38's, are you ****in me? Aren't you afraid to scratch that pretty paint job? I know, in the south 4X4 means BIG tires and HUGE lifts and lots of horsepower. Not here. It takes articulation, lockers, torque, and some driving skills. Not to mention cajones (thats balls for you southern folk). How do I know, you wonder. I just moved from Baton Rouge about 1 1/2 yrs ago. You know some people think that the drivers of those pimped out 4X4's have the same physical characteristic as the porsche drivers. 😱
 
jetproppilot said:
I'm not even close to getting into the parking lot...gotta park a block away...sacrifices a redneck makes!
I hear ya. The day I got my lift, I drove it to the parking garage late that night to see if it fit. The last thing I wanted to do was to find it didn't fit and wedge the damn thing at 6am with a line of cars behind me. I got some funny looks that night as I slowly drove it through the garage with my head way out the window to watch my roof passing under the concrete rafters.

I want to get some new gears to get my horsepower back, but that's a big chunk of change for a resident's salary right now. It was tough enough convincing my wife that I "needed" the lift and $250 tires. She's 5 foot 2 and has to grab the OS handles to do a pullup to get in. She looks like an ant when she drives it, but now she loves it and jokes that she wants to get her Volvo lifted.
 
Noyac said:
Yukon with 38's, are you ****in me? Aren't you afraid to scratch that pretty paint job? I know, in the south 4X4 means BIG tires and HUGE lifts and lots of horsepower. Not here. It takes articulation, lockers, torque, and some driving skills. Not to mention cajones (thats balls for you southern folk). How do I know, you wonder. I just moved from Baton Rouge about 1 1/2 yrs ago. You know some people think that the drivers of those pimped out 4X4's have the same physical characteristic as the porsche drivers. 😱

Baton Rouge??? We gotta PM and catch up, dude. And with Mil's help I'm gonna figure out how to put my Joe Dirt truck on the avatar picture.
BTW, you moved to higher ground just in time. The first floor of my house is now gutted..everything....cherry wood floors, built ins, appliances, cabinets, dry wall, beautiful textured paint job, all possessions on the first floor in a rubble pile outside, etc etc....

Just in time for Mrs Cat 5 Rita.. :barf:

I dont know whether to laugh or cry...guess no more flooding damage can be done here in New Orleans to my house since on the first floor all there is is a slab and studs....and if the hurricane blows it over, homeowners insurance will kick in, and I'll come out WAY ahead....maybe I'll retire and come back as a consultant to Mil, and advise him on what he has to do to his group to make the patients happy, the surgeons happy, and give him a monetary take-away similar to the movie BLOW .
 
jetproppilot said:
Just in time for Mrs Cat 5 Rita.. :barf:

Looks like you guy's are going to be lucky. I just moved to Waco from Houston to go to school, and from the looks of it I might not have a home to go visit. Can't get in touch with my parents because of the phone lines being jammed! Last I heard from them they were going to Rosepine, La to stay with my step-dads family.

D@%& FEMALES! They need to quit causing all the chaos in this world! J/K :meanie:
 
supahfresh said:
man, i just got the living $hit beat out of me at my first capoiera class.

I thought capoeira looked cool, but a little too "dancy" for me. Even so, I've always admired the drunken stance employed with the art. Also, I've found that when I spar, it definitely makes it more difficult to focus on their center b/c it switches so rapidly. I like muay thai b/c of the simplicity yet effectiveness of it. Also, we train pretty damn hard, and I'm not sure if I'm sore the next day d/t muscle fatigue, or b/c of the bag contact. I'm considering adding Brazilian Jiu-jitsu later when I really master the striking arts. I've heard that marines are taught a combo of these, as well as some other skills, and we all know how tough marines are.

This being said, I am a peaceful dude, and would only fight if I'd exhausted all my other options. Furthermore, once I reach that point, I would only do enough damage to manage a clean getaway... no face stomping or anything like that. I've seen quite a few bar fights, and those things get nasty quick.
 
lvspro said:
I thought capoeira looked cool, but a little too "dancy" for me. Even so, I've always admired the drunken stance employed with the art. Also, I've found that when I spar, it definitely makes it more difficult to focus on their center b/c it switches so rapidly. I like muay thai b/c of the simplicity yet effectiveness of it. Also, we train pretty damn hard, and I'm not sure if I'm sore the next day d/t muscle fatigue, or b/c of the bag contact. I'm considering adding Brazilian Jiu-jitsu later when I really master the striking arts. I've heard that marines are taught a combo of these, as well as some other skills, and we all know how tough marines are.

This being said, I am a peaceful dude, and would only fight if I'd exhausted all my other options. Furthermore, once I reach that point, I would only do enough damage to manage a clean getaway... no face stomping or anything like that. I've seen quite a few bar fights, and those things get nasty quick.

it is a bit "dancy" but the place I went to were really big into the kicks and cartwheels and flips. I'm just doing it to improve my breakdancing.
 
supahfresh said:
it is a bit "dancy" but the place I went to were really big into the kicks and cartwheels and flips. I'm just doing it to improve my breakdancing.

Man, that was the COOLEST!!! The 1980s rokked! That cheesy breakdance movie with the crakka chick in it...I still like watching it!
 
Propofol482 said:
I was just curious what you guy's do for fun when your off?


with 26 people viewing this forum as I type, the obvious answer is "browse SDN"... 🙂



26?!?!? are we looking at a glut of applicants this year, or is it the bias of anesthesiology-minded technophiles to the distant and impersonal comfort of the internet?
 
jetproppilot said:
Dual exhaust, Hyper-tech computer chip givin 40 more HP, throttle body lifter, cold air intake, OHHH YEAHHHH!!!



Hey Jet, did you add the throttle body lifter separate or when you added all the other mods you listed? Reason I'm asking is I've heard different opinions regarding the lifters or spacers.....Just wanted your opinion.

You boys want some real bolt-on power? Aftermarket remote mounted turbos...Check this website out.

http://www.ststurbo.com
Go to products, then look up your specific vech if listed. Then check out sound / video clips. Some of these videos are amazing. Yeah, most of these guys on the track are running much higher than the standard boost, but cool nonetheless. But also check out the dyno charts for your vech at only 5-6 lbs boost. The LSI Trans Am on the interstate is jaw-dropping.

Jet you could take your truck - if you have the 5.3L to a rear wheel HP of 324 and torque to 373 or if your running the 6.0L to RWHP and RWT of 348/394.
 
rn29306 said:
Hey Jet, did you add the throttle body lifter separate or when you added all the other mods you listed? Reason I'm asking is I've heard different opinions regarding the lifters or spacers.....Just wanted your opinion.

You boys want some real bolt-on power? Aftermarket remote mounted turbos...Check this website out.

http://www.ststurbo.com
Go to products, then look up your specific vech if listed. Then check out sound / video clips. Some of these videos are amazing. Yeah, most of these guys on the track are running much higher than the standard boost, but cool nonetheless. But also check out the dyno charts for your vech at only 5-6 lbs boost. The LSI Trans Am on the interstate is jaw-dropping.

Jet you could take your truck - if you have the 5.3L to a rear wheel HP of 324 and torque to 373 or if your running the 6.0L to RWHP and RWT of 348/394.

WOW! Thanks for the tip.
Yep, I forgot to post o cuppla other things....I've got the throttle body lifter which I think helped performance, albeit minorly...but whats cool is it adds a "ssssssssssssss" sound....so I consider it my Joe Dirt supercharger. :laugh: Looked into superchargers and was committed to a Whipple until I found out it was 5K!!! 😱

Also had to change the rear gears to 4.73 to accomodate the 38" Nitto Terra Grapplers. Changing the gear ratio made a HUGE difference.

Am looking for more mods to do...nitrous? Maybe...dont know if I wanna part with 5K for the supercharger.
 
rn29306 said:
Hey Jet, did you add the throttle body lifter separate or when you added all the other mods you listed? Reason I'm asking is I've heard different opinions regarding the lifters or spacers.....Just wanted your opinion.

You boys want some real bolt-on power? Aftermarket remote mounted turbos...Check this website out.

http://www.ststurbo.com
Go to products, then look up your specific vech if listed. Then check out sound / video clips. Some of these videos are amazing. Yeah, most of these guys on the track are running much higher than the standard boost, but cool nonetheless. But also check out the dyno charts for your vech at only 5-6 lbs boost. The LSI Trans Am on the interstate is jaw-dropping.

Jet you could take your truck - if you have the 5.3L to a rear wheel HP of 324 and torque to 373 or if your running the 6.0L to RWHP and RWT of 348/394.

Oh, I've got cold air intake too which added 10-20hp.
 
jetproppilot said:
Oh, I've got cold air intake too which added 10-20hp.


Added a K&N cold air to my truck too. It tends to whistle slightly just before shifting. Sounds like Fast & Furious is riding alongside me. LOL. Was worth it but about 1/2 way through install I thought "what the F am I doing to a new truck??" when things were disconnected, sensors everywhere, and wires galore and it was 11pm with me being at work at 0600 next am.

Then TN required smog sniffing to be done on each vech after I put in Magnaflow cat-back. Even though K&N cold air came with CARB exeption sticker, I ain't looking forward to dealing with county legistlators when my time is due. Me thinks I'm going to flunk even with intact cat converter.

A Whipple on a Yukon?? Dood you might as well buy stock in petro companies. Downside about a whipple (roots-type SC)is it is always running and pressurizing your intake = BAD BAD BAD gas milage. At least with the centrifigal (sp) like Vortech it only kicks in when you are flooring it. That's why turbos are so nice. Only spool up with you need it to burn the ricer next to you......

Sorry to highjack the thread, I know this isn't Medical Motor Trend, but the turbocharger website is pretty kewl.
 
rn29306 said:
A Whipple on a Yukon?? Dood you might as well buy stock in petro companies. Downside about a whipple (roots-type SC)is it is always running and pressurizing your intake = BAD BAD BAD gas milage. At least with the centrifigal (sp) like Vortech it only kicks in when you are flooring it. That's why turbos are so nice. Only spool up with you need it to burn the ricer next to you......

.

Very very true. And I get 11mpg right now. Probably not a great thing to do with gas as expensive as it is.
Would probably get 6-7mpg with the Whipple. 😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad