what do you guys sell through the drive thru?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lorain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a guy wanted to get some box tape from the drive thru, i told the tech no, and she too said no initially to the customer. the customer comes in, files a complaint, and the manager first berates the tech in front of the customer, gives a 20 gift card, and then proceeds to write us up

i of course refused to even acknowledge the complaint and told the manager my techs dont do grocery shopping for the customers. of course, i wont sign the complaint acknowledging it

so do you guys sell anything thru the drive thru other than the rx?

Members don't see this ad.

Holy !@#$ what the hell kind of manager is that?! Sometimes if I'm not busy I will pull some Tylenol or OTC stuff like that. Some customers will call ahead on the phone for some OTC things and occasionally for an elderly customer I'll pull some cookies or something like that.

But a perfectly capable adult that's not even picking up a prescription? :laugh: They can do their own shopping. Or have the manager come back to the drive through and go in the store to pull all the items they're requesting. You have other things to do and being a personal shopper isn't one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
a guy wanted to get some box tape from the drive thru, i told the tech no, and she too said no initially to the customer. the customer comes in, files a complaint, and the manager first berates the tech in front of the customer, gives a 20 gift card, and then proceeds to write us up

i of course refused to even acknowledge the complaint and told the manager my techs dont do grocery shopping for the customers. of course, i wont sign the complaint acknowledging it

so do you guys sell anything thru the drive thru other than the rx?

Dang! now that's wrong on so MANY levels, I actually laughed at the sheer absurdity

No drive-thrus where I work :)

But I agree, **** drive-thrus and whatever jackass thought to put them in pharmacies.

if they're picking up a RX and it's something close i'll step out and grab something with the wag logo on it, make sure it's not the small bottle either. but if we're busy, they can get it themselves. you should tear up the write-up in the manager's face and tell him to get some tape for it. if he doesn't like it, then tell him to give himself a giftcard

Here in the UK we do free delivery of meds to house bound pts. Often request other things, we draw the line if asked to visit another shop or grocery on their behalf.
johnep

if this situation ever arises again, the OP should immediately page the manager to come into the back and perform the transaction

I don't have problems with OTC items (so long as they fit)...I'll use judgment. If it's not busy and the person is sick, heck...I don't want them coming in either, I'll grab OTC's (counsel to figure out which one they need).

If it's a parent with cranky baby...hell, I don't want them coming in either. OTC's unless it's not busy, then maybe I'll grab something else.

Now if it's a perfectly capable adult, I'll pull the "can't leave my station" bit. The problem is...not every disease visually manifests itself--or some people hide it pretty well. What if a hypoglycemic T1 diabetic asks for a pack of candy because they don't think they can park, get out of the car, get in the store, and wait in another line to buy something?

I know you'd all get it if this pt explained....just sayin' to use judgment and give the pt the benefit of the doubt. If they want their pack of cigs, tell them to get it themselves.

or heck put a sign up at the drive-thru that says "To help keep prices lower, pharmacy employees cannot retrieve store items for drive-thru customers."

at least then your clerks/techs/interns can just point to the sign and say they'll get in trouble. If they want to talk to a manager, they'll have to come in. I'd imagine most customers won't waste time and come in like the OP's angry pt.

I go with coporate policy....no other except prescriptions...op should file complaint against that manager to upper district level for harassment, failing to obey company policy and kick that jackass out of the store.

Walgreens has a new Express OTC thing going, just a few things right beside the drive thru window (Tylenol, Kids Tylenol/Motrin, cough drops)