What do you know about ER???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandimd

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at the end of my 3rd year, and i've never considered ER, until recently when my friend suggested that i have a lot of qualities that would make me a great ER physician.

If anyone can give me any info as far as step I scores needed and schools that are not as competitive for ER I would greatly appreciate it.

I scored 197 on step I, I know it's not really so competitive, so i was wondering should i maybe consider something else, or do I have a shot depending on where i apply.

Thanx a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

It's great that you're interested. There's a good FAQ that Quinn put together... it should be the first thread in this section. You can also do a search and you'll find that this question has been asked/answered a ton of times.

Your score, while below average (just by the stats), shouldn't keep you back from applying. I'd spread my net really wide though.

Also, ER is the TV show. EM is the specialty. Good luck!

aliraja said:
It's great that you're interested. There's a good FAQ that Quinn put together... it should be the first thread in this section. You can also do a search and you'll find that this question has been asked/answered a ton of times.

Your score, while below average (just by the stats), shouldn't keep you back from applying. I'd spread my net really wide though.

Also, ER is the TV show. EM is the specialty. Good luck!

Agreed with aliraja. Definately check out the EM "FAQ" thread which is the first thread in this forum. If you have any other questions after reading that, go for it!

Also, like aliraja said, a low USMLE score isn't going to definately kill you, but you'll need to be less selective when it comes to applying to residencies. I applied to 40+ programs!

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad to hear that you are interested in the EM field. Your step 1 may be low, but I agree w/ the previous posts stating that you shouldn't count out EM, but you may have to apply to several less competitive programs, but most people should apply to various programs (strength and type). You might study really hard for Step 2 and take it early enough to get the score in for your application. If you do well on your EM rotation (whether it be at one of the less competitive programs or not), then you can help yourself a bunch there. Of course, there are always people looking for a top 10 list of programs (and there isn't one) so there won't be a bottom 10 list either. Just consider various types of programs by: location, "prestige," pgy 1-3/1-4/2-4, size. Your student affairs office should have a list of the unfilled programs and that may indicate less competitive places. (please remember that "less competitive" doesn't mean a bad program. it just means they had trouble filling in the past and may allow less competitive applicants to match there and get great training on their way to being a boarded Emergency Physician.) It is weird to see how things work out after match day. Believe me, I have heard about some interesting stories and saw some surprising matches w/ classmates. Whether you are the perfect applicant or a weak applicant, you never know where you will end up so don't count out the top programs or other places either. Just do the best you can in your rotations and remaining exams. If you really love something and work hard at it, it will work out and you'll be really happy with it.

Good luck!
-ak

hey thanx for the responses, i actually noticed the EM FAQ thread went up right after I posted my question, so had i waited another 5 minutes i probably would have read through that first.

Does anyone know much about Jackson Memorial EM program in Miami????

Just out of curiousity.

mandimd said:
hey thanx for the responses, i actually noticed the EM FAQ thread went up right after I posted my question, so had i waited another 5 minutes i probably would have read through that first.

Does anyone know much about Jackson Memorial EM program in Miami????

Just out of curiousity.

Only that there isn't one, and GroupTherapy cryptically stated they can't get one for 10 years (some more detail would be appreciated).

Apollyon said:
Only that there isn't one, and GroupTherapy cryptically stated they can't get one for 10 years (some more detail would be appreciated).

Why? Thinking about transferring? :)

Apollyon: Let us know if you end up commiting to transfering. I'm real interested in how things develop in Durham. I know a couple of the attendings and am rooting for the program. But we all know how challenging (and painful) starting up a new progam can be.

Mandimd: Don't worry too much about your score. Yes there are more competitive programs than others but the Step 1 is not everything. Indeed, many of the "top" programs (Denver, Cinci, Hennepin, etc) make it a point to look beyond your scores and weigh heavily other things you do like research, leadership roles, letters of recommendations. We all heard the stories, a friend of mine with ridiculously high Step 1 thought he was a lock for Denver (his first choice) and didn't match while people I know with much lower scores but other things going for them matched their first choices. Well-roundedness (is that a word?) really counts. Good luck.

SurfAndTurf said:
Apollyon: Let us know if you end up commiting to transferring. I'm real interested in how things develop in Durham. I know a couple of the attendings and am rooting for the program. But we all know how challenging (and painful) starting up a new program can be.

Mostly just wishful thinking - I'm going to stick it out.

good luck dude, i'm sure it'll get better as time goes on.