What do you know about NSCS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anyone know anything about the NSCS: The National Society of Collegiate Scholars. I got an invitation to join, but its $75. Is this program pretty well known and is it worth it for me to join, or are they just trying to take my money. I know you get discounts on prep courses like kaplan, but is that the only benefit.

Please let me know what you think or what you know about it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

5241986 said:
Does anyone know anything about the NSCS: The National Society of Collegiate Scholars. I got an invitation to join, but its $75. Is this program pretty well known and is it worth it for me to join, or are they just trying to take my money. I know you get discounts on prep courses like kaplan, but is that the only benefit.

Please let me know what you think or what you know about it. Thanks.

Personally I think it's just a way to take your money. I got an invitation my freshman year and didn't join. If you research their organization on your campus and find you'd like to participate then I'd say go for it, but if you just want to pay $75 and not do anything, it doesn't do you much good, especially if you're wanting to hold any sort of weight on your apps.

Plus what's the discount on Kaplan? Is it the regular old $100? If so, you could get that a lot of places. Look into the pre-med groups on your campus instead.

If you want to list an honor society on your app, you're probably better off becoming part of AED if it's available at your campus or better yet, trying to get some departmental awards or other true academic honors.

Anyone who's had a positive experience with them, feel free to chime in of course. This is just my opinion.

This isn't going to help you much, but unfortunately it varies campus to campus. I have friends from other universities who joined and said that they haven't heard anything about it since then. On the other hand, at my university, they are fairly active in community service projects, and have various graduate adcom members or administrators come and talk. I'd check them out at your school. If they meet regularly, then go for it. If not, then save your $75 and find someone else who gives discounts on prep classes (like the previous poster said, there are many ways to get the $100 off)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't pay to join any academic society other than Phi Beta Kappa.

NSCS is what you make of it. I joined the society and became president. In doing so, I was able to promote programs and community service opportunities that I liked. The toughest part is getting the club established on your campus. The $75 goes to administration fees, scholarships, and to the treasury of your local chapter. If you want to get involved, I would highly recommend NSCS.

OMG! NSCS is awesome!!! I was the sec one year then the pres for 2. I had so much fun. Our chapter was really involved and we did a lot of stuff like paint your heart out, habitat 4 humanity, zoo clean ups. I don't know how active your campus' chapter is. The more active the better. Email the chapter pres and ask what they do etc.

If you are going to participate in it, why not. And my mom and dad liked going to the ceremony. Make them pay the $75. :laugh:

I'm the VP for my school's NSCS club. I love it, I think it's a great new organization with a lot of good opportunities. It's not just a kaplan discount or 5% off on your next car rental... there are dozens of nice scholarships that aren't too hard to obtain, along with other great opportunities. Recently, I got a 3K scholarship from NSCS to use on kaplan courses, which is something I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

I'm not sure if it's a great idea to list it if all you did was become a member. Not sure though, as NSCS selects the top 10 or 15 percent of the school's undergraduate students, so it's not just based on GPA (apparently, they say they also select based on service and leadership).

i am a member. but never got involved...too lazy. check ur campus chapter. they usually plan a ot of activities and send me emails all the time

I joined, went to two meetings, and for some reason, all of the positions (pres, vp, sec, etc.) were held by girls. Both meetings were completely disorganized and nothing was accomplished either time. (I have nothing against girls in charge, but it was seriously awful lol). Even though there was free pizza, I never went to another meeting again -- it was that bad.

And I went to a lot of random crap for free pizza. :laugh:

I joined, went to two meetings, and for some reason, all of the positions (pres, vp, sec, etc.) were held by girls. Both meetings were completely disorganized and nothing was accomplished either time. (I have nothing against girls in charge, but it was seriously awful lol). Even though there was free pizza, I never went to another meeting again -- it was that bad.

That's all the motivation I need to actually do this.

:laugh:

Haha, yeah, that's understandable. NSCS is fairly new, and they were likely in their first or second year when you went to the meetings.

I never even went to a meeting and simply applied for one of the officer positions and got it, and that's when I started getting more involved. So as you can see, they pretty much took the first people available to be officers.

Im the president of my NSCS chapter on campus and I've enjoyed it, its been a great leadership position however my university has 600+ members and is fairly active.

I vote not to do it. But every campus handles it differently...it may be legit at yours.

I joined as a freshman and thought it was a money sink. Then during my 4th year of med school, I half-assed one of their essay contests and won a $1000 scholarship. I can't complain.