What do you love and hate about pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BWSTW

The B's be ballin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious to see what everyone loves about pathology, and what is it that you hate or dislike about pathology?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just curious to see what everyone loves about pathology, and what is it that you hate or dislike about pathology?

Love: Being a pathologist. No better job on earth. It is interesting and fulfilling and everyday I'm glad to be doing what I'm doing. Of course, there are evenings in the gross room where I don't really connect with that feeling. :) Pathology makes medicine make sense to me.

Hate: The fact that it is very much up to chance whether I'll get to live in a city that I like and if that job will be a working environment that is favorable.

Im a 2nd year resident...

LOVE:

-learning pathology
-you don't have to deal with a lot of the crap like in medicine and other fields (annoying patients, dealing with nurses, c*cksuckers in surg); overall pathology generally tends to attract happy ppl.
-hours are generally 40-50 hours a week
-CP rotations
-on call at my program is cake compared to other residencies
-at most 12 hour workdays for residents at my program.
-attendings at my program have work hours ranging from 6-12 hours
-ppl at my program are all friendly and no malignant personalities.

HATE:

-cleaning out feces from the bowels during my autopsy
-not knowing about what the future holds for me in terms of jobs and if I will have to move to some undesirable place to work

Overall, LOVE>>>>>>HATE. Well, I still have a lot to learn and once I get to a certain point I think things should be a little more automatic than it is now.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmmm are we on the same planet?
not dealing with surgeons?
working with happy people?

ok

i like my job although it can become mundane. i live in a cool place. nothing's perfect you know...

Hate: Thyroid aspirates, covering blood bank, looking at anything from the breast on a slide, doing FNAs. I also hate every piece of literature that has ever been written on the subject of urine cytology.

Like: Most everything else.