What do you love and hate about pathology

Started by BWSTW
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BWSTW

The B's be ballin'
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just curious to see what everyone loves about pathology, and what is it that you hate or dislike about pathology?
 
I was just curious to see what everyone loves about pathology, and what is it that you hate or dislike about pathology?


Love: Being a pathologist. No better job on earth. It is interesting and fulfilling and everyday I'm glad to be doing what I'm doing. Of course, there are evenings in the gross room where I don't really connect with that feeling. 🙂 Pathology makes medicine make sense to me.


Hate: The fact that it is very much up to chance whether I'll get to live in a city that I like and if that job will be a working environment that is favorable.
 
I was just curious to see what everyone loves about pathology, and what is it that you hate or dislike about pathology?

Im a 2nd year resident...

LOVE:

-learning pathology
-you don't have to deal with a lot of the crap like in medicine and other fields (annoying patients, dealing with nurses, c*cksuckers in surg); overall pathology generally tends to attract happy ppl.
-hours are generally 40-50 hours a week
-CP rotations
-on call at my program is cake compared to other residencies
-at most 12 hour workdays for residents at my program.
-attendings at my program have work hours ranging from 6-12 hours
-ppl at my program are all friendly and no malignant personalities.

HATE:

-cleaning out feces from the bowels during my autopsy
-not knowing about what the future holds for me in terms of jobs and if I will have to move to some undesirable place to work

Overall, LOVE>>>>>>HATE. Well, I still have a lot to learn and once I get to a certain point I think things should be a little more automatic than it is now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hmmmm are we on the same planet?
not dealing with surgeons?
working with happy people?

ok

i like my job although it can become mundane. i live in a cool place. nothing's perfect you know...
 
Hate: Thyroid aspirates, covering blood bank, looking at anything from the breast on a slide, doing FNAs. I also hate every piece of literature that has ever been written on the subject of urine cytology.

Like: Most everything else.