1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Jasminegab, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Jasminegab

Jasminegab psych student
    7+ Year Member

My concern isn't about GPA or MCAT scores. My concern is being rejected from medical school on account of past issues in my life. I have called the schools of my choice and spoken with Adcoms concerning my past issues and was told that my application would not be tossed in the trash. Yet, deep down inside I feel like this is something that everyone would say since discrimination is illegal. It's like calling a job and asking would they turn me down for past mistakes. Of course they would say "No" over the phone, but once you send in your application, they simply can overlook you.

When I apply to medical school, I want adcoms to see that I had past issues, yet I have done much work to overcome my shortcomings. I'm not sure about doing a post-bac because I believe that only time will prove that my past is just that, my past. I want Adcoms to see that despite my past, I have graduate from undergaduate school with a 3.5 GPA and (when that time comes) went on to a MBS program and did pretty well on the MCAT. I also have experience in the medical field. I'm a registered medical assistant who has worked in the OR, physician office and even managed a physician office. I have worked as a Peer educator for student on health issues. I worked with Nurses, Nurse Practioners, Physicians Assistants and physicians.

I understand that I have a past that can't be kept in the closet. I'm braned for life. It will follow me no matter how much good I do. However, what can I do to not let my past shame me for life?
    Perhaps this is not the place to ask this question. I just felt I need to talk about it in hopes that someone out there can relate and offer words of encouragement. Or, perhaps I'm just fooling myself and should think about another career. That's all for now.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. premed

premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Jasmine,

Well, you didn't leave much detail so I don't really know what to say. If you want real honest answers, I would tell the whole story. Perhaps if I tell you my story, it will make you feel better. :)

I have posted my stats numerous times on SDN so it is no secret that I had a pretty messed up GPA my first two years at UCLA. The obvious reason for this is that I didn't study (in fact I didn't even go to class for midterms/finals) and the reason for this is that I was out drinking and smoking weed every single night. I soon found myself immersed in this hedonistic lifestyle of constant partying. It was just a matter of time, and I got arrested for two felony charges relating to marijuana. Nothing sets you straight better than spending a few nights in jail with real criminals. :scared: I was extremely lucky, both my charges got dropped in court and although I was kicked out of the dorms, there was no disciplinary action against me. I tried my best to do a 180 turnaround, but it was tough. I slowly improved my GPA and ultimately brought it up from around a 2.25 to a 3.0. I took the MCATs twice to score a 33Q (I might even have to take it again since it expires :( ). In a perfect world, I could write about this experience in my personal statement...but that is out of the question. I learned so many things trying to pick myself up from the lowest point in my life. Nonetheless, I am sure many people will say they would never want me as their physician. I don't know exactly what I am trying to say. Picture me 3 years ago with a 2.25 GPA, no MCAT, worried about going to jail, worried about getting kicked out of school...I am amazed I made it out alive. Although I have not been accepted to medical school this year, I have progressed so much from that time. There is no point in stressing about the past...it is over. Look to the future instead. If you have learned something from your past experience, that is all that matters. That thing you learned gives you an edge over everyone else who hasn't had that experience. Good luck and try to see the brighter side of things. :)

Feel free to PM me if you want. God bless!