ComptonLBC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
What do you say when the interviewer asks... what other med schools did you have interviews with? what other med schools accepted you?
why do they ask that. what do you guys say? thanks!

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
ComptonLBC said:
What do you say when the interviewer asks... what other med schools did you have interviews with? what other med schools accepted you?
Just be honest, and be prepared to let them know why you think their school is very appealing to you (notwithstanding the interest you are getting from elsewhere). Most schools don't like to accept people they know won't come (looks bad in the Barrons and TPR guide books which keep track of accepted versus matriculated), so they are fishing to see if you are genuinely interested. Honesty is the best policy here.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
ComptonLBC said:
I usually tried to answer that question honestly. Sometimes I think they want to see if there is a pattern as to how you chose which schools to apply to. Other times I think they just want to know how desperate you are to go to their school (i.e. if you have 0 acceptances and 10 rejections, he'll think you're more likely to attend if admitted). They may also want to know where their school fits in rank wise in your list. I mean, for example, if you've been accepted to Harvard, a lower ranked school may not see the point in accepting you.

OP
ComptonLBC

ComptonLBC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
well, what if you say that you have not been accepted yet, or u only have been accepted by 1 school... and they think you aren't worthy? like you aren't good enough cuz only 1 school wanted you so far, or no schools wanted u?

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
ComptonLBC said:
well, what if you say that you have not been accepted yet, or u only have been accepted by 1 school... and they think you aren't worthy? like you aren't good enough cuz only 1 school wanted you so far, or no schools wanted u?
Well, that's one way to look at it. Or they may think you might actually attend their school and will therefore be more likely to accept you over a student with multiple acceptances. And soooo many awesome candidates don't get into med school or only get into one school. It says nothing about your "worthiness" and interviewers should know this.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
ComptonLBC said:
I would still go with honesty. If you haven't, in fact, been accepted anywhere yet, the interviewers next question often will be "what would you do if you didn't get into med school this year?" though -- so be prepared for that one.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ComptonLBC said:
what do you guys say?
"Oh, you know, the usual. Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, Hopkins, and a few others here and there."