What do you say when you get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebeyonder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
When you get into school and someone asks you where you are going what do you say?
Do you say I am going to medical school, or do you have to say I am going to osteopathic medical school? Just wondering... Not that it makes a huge difference. I don't mind saying that I would be going to osteopathic medical school, but I was wondering if it is necessary. Say if someone goes to Nova. Do you say you go to Nova medical school, or Nova osteopathic medical school?
Thanks,
Tim.

Members don't see this ad.

For some people just saying that you are going to med school is enough. But most people want to know where you are going. So you can answer geographically, with the university name (i.e. Southeastern University), with the name of the school either with or without the osteopathic designation. Do what is comfortable for you.

If you truly feel comfortable about your decision to attend Osteopathic Medical school, I think saying "I go to ___________ Osteopathic medical school" would be appropriate.

I also understand that some people use Osteopathic school as a back up, and others are just tired of explaining to people what exactly a D.O. is and what they do.

I agree with the above poster. Just say whatever you feel like saying. I'm not sure if there is any politically correct way of tackling the situation.

Peace

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JPHazelton:
•I also understand that some people use Osteopathic school as a back up, and others are just tired of explaining to people what exactly a D.O. is and what they do.•

Interesting point, JP. I used to be more willing to get into discussions with people about osteopathy. But now, I am just SOOOOO tired of answering stuff like, "Oh, that's not a real doctor, is it?" that I now simply say that I'm going to med school.

Every once in a while, I need a break from that very old, very tiring argument

Personally, I do a combination of both.... If I'm in no hurry to be anywhere then I make it a point to say "osteopathic medical school." Often times than not, I do say osteopathic medical school. I'm more than happy to explain to people what it's about or at least try to....

Although when I'm in a rush or just simply don't feel like having a conversation about allopathic and osteopathic then I just say med school....

Sometimes I even do a combination of both.... I start of by saying "medical school" judge their facial expression and say "osteopathic." Look at their facial expression again, then see how they respond.... It's interesting the level of knowledge that people have regarding what osteopathic medicine is all about.

As a future osteopathic physician, I've made it a point to try and expose people to the our profession as much as I can.... With that said and as mentioned before.... It's really whatever floats your boat!!! Later :cool:

Lately I've been responding "I'm going to osteopathic school." That way I get people asking "what is that???" and it gives me a chance to spread the word about osteopathic medicine. Geez. . . I feel like such a religious evangelist sometimes. hehe.

yeah, dave, don't I know that one.

I just tell people med school. If they ask where, I tell them WHERE. Most of the people I know don't know much except the BIG 10 schools anyway, so telling them a particular program just forces a huge explanation.

do what feels right for you.

electra

I would say to you to use the appropriate reply for the appropriate person. Don't bother going into details with someone you just met. Also you don't hear any MD students say "I am attending such and such college or school of allopathic medicine." I was sitting in the dental chair at the University of Maryland Dental school and the chief Dentist overlooking my twin brother's work really enjoyed my explanation of Osteopathic Medicine to her. Obviously before the dental procedure began. When she saw me in my next visit, she immediately smiled and wanted to see how I was doing and stuff. Just be smart about it!

Someone above mentioned a dentist.

The first time I went to my current dentist, I was in the chair getting my teeth drilling, poked, and proded and told her what I was considering as far as medical school.

The hygenist had a puzzled look on her face and the dentist immediately rattled off an explanation of what a D.O. is and their differences to an M.D. She knew what she was talking about.

What's the point of this post?

If a dentist asks you where you're attending medical school, tell them it's an osteopathic school.

just my $0.02 worth. What I would say when I get in is...wooooohooo! :p