What do you think about my ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jclaude2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I want to list my ECs and see what do you guys think about them

Things I have done:
1- 3 semesters dean's list(4-year university)+ 4 semesters dean's list(community college)
2- phi theta kappa honor society(community college)
3-a year and half synthetic chemistry research ( 1st author of 2 publications) still continuing the research.
4- a year English tutor for American literacy program and still continuing.

things I'll start doing in the coming 8 to 9 months:
1- starting a biology research(genetics or endocrinology)
2- volunteering in a local hospital where I'm expecting to put 250+ hours.
3- shadowing few doctors.
4- food delivery for the homeless.
5- trying to become a member in school clubs.

i have a GPA of 3.46 and sGPA of 3.42 I'm trying to take few classes this and next semester trying to bring that GPA to 3.5 and sGPA to 3.47 I have not taken the MCAT yet expecting to do it beginning of next year( expecting to do well). I know my GPAs are on the lower side thats why I' m trying to make up for that by doing more ECs but I still feel they are not that strong for not having anything extraordinary in them( especially after reading the profiles of some premeds who applied with similar stats as mine)
Do you guys think I'll be doing enough for ECs? and what kind of extra things you think I should do to make that list stronger?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all
I want to list my ECs and see what do you guys think about them

Things I have done:
1- 3 semesters dean's list(4-year university)+ 4 semesters dean's list(community college)
2- phi theta kappa honor society(community college)
3-a year and half synthetic chemistry research ( 1st author of 2 publications) still continuing the research.
4- a year English tutor for American literacy program and still continuing.

things I'll start doing in the coming 8 to 9 months:
1- starting a biology research(genetics or endocrinology)
2- volunteering in a local hospital where I'm expecting to put 250+ hours.
3- shadowing few doctors.
4- food delivery for the homeless.
5- trying to become a member in school clubs.

i have a GPA of 3.46 and sGPA of 3.42 I'm trying to take few classes this and next semester trying to bring that GPA to 3.5 and sGPA to 3.47 I have not taken the MCAT yet expecting to do it beginning of next year( expecting to do well). I know my GPAs are on the lower side thats why I' m trying to make up for that by doing more ECs but I still feel they are not that strong for not having anything extraordinary in them( especially after reading the profiles of some premeds who applied with similar stats as mine)
Do you guys think I'll be doing enough for ECs? and what kind of extra things you think I should do to make that list stronger?

2 first author publications is pretty impressive. That should put you pretty high up there if you're applying to research-intensive schools. You might want to diversify your activities - something off the beaten track that you can talk about. The other stuff is pretty classic premed and boring.

2 first author publications is pretty impressive. That should put you pretty high up there if you're applying to research-intensive schools. You might want to diversify your activities - something off the beaten track that you can talk about. The other stuff is pretty classic premed and boring.

I agree. The academic and medical stuff is great, for sure. But don't you have any other interests? Music? Intramurals? Get deeply involved in a club or service outlet so you can show that you're not some sort of pre-medical tron. (no offense)

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to add I played soccer 2 years for a local soccer team plus i play the keyboard :D

Be realistic about your ambitions for the activities in the next 8-9 months, especially if you are approaching the MCAT and wanting to improve your grades. Both of these tasks will require a lot of extra time. Dedicating yourself heavily to a couple of EC's will look better than just spreading yourself thin and trying to have a hand in everything.

looks good. the soccer and the keyboard are a plus too. helps the adcoms pick between the numerous people with dime a dozen good grades, research, clinical, mcat, etc, who they would otherwise have to make a coin toss on. i wouldn't waste time with school clubs though. try to get leadership experience in your clinical experience (ie training other volunteers)