What do you think my chances for DPT admission are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dannymangs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm determined to be a physical therapist but am bummed that my stats aren't up to the standards for the average accepted DPT student. If anyone gets a chance, could you help me out? Stats:

Overall undergrad GPA (Family & Child Sciences): 3.3
pre-req GPA: 3.3
GRE: 300 AW 4
Experience: overall- 420hrs
Outpatient- 200 paid hrs , 150hrs different location, 30 hrs Ortho, 30 hrs diff location
Inpatient- 10 hrs

Schools applying to: UNF, NSU, FIU, St Augustine, FAMU, Gulf Coast, Brenau, Georgia State, Aventist

Members don't see this ad.

you need to raise that pre req gpa, it would help your application alot. also look into ucf since the only count your last 60 hours.

you need to raise that pre req gpa, it would help your application alot. also look into ucf since the only count your last 60 hours.

Unfortunately Ive taken all but 2 prereqs (one being a lab), and because i live in florida, I wouldn't be able to retake classes to improve my grades. I will absolutely look into UCF though, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
im pretty sure you can retake pre reqs even in florida.

Most of the schools here in florida either take the class if retaken or average out the two. YMMV with each school

My stats are similar to yours. Overall GPA: 3.4, pre-req: 3.3-3.45 depending on school. I am applying right now and I have already received two interview invites

That's awesome! Muy happy for u. What schools did u apply to? And if u don't mind sharing, what other stats did u have to make u stand out? After I retake gre mid sept I plan on getting as many hours in as many different settings as possible as well as help out with Harvey

It's not impossible, I had a slightly higher GPA and a slightly higher GRE but not nearly as many observation hours and I was accepted off a waitlist 5 weeks before the start of my program. So don't lose hope even if you are placed on waitlists, you never know!

Hello everyone,

I'm determined to be a physical therapist but am bummed that my stats aren't up to the standards for the average accepted DPT student. If anyone gets a chance, could you help me out? Stats:

Outpatient- 200 paid hrs , 150hrs different location, 30 hrs Ortho, 30 hrs diff location
Inpatient- 10 hrs

Schools applying to: UNF, NSU, FIU, St Augustine, FAMU, Gulf Coast, Brenau, Georgia State, Aventist

Some places even like that GRE to be a tad higher. I got accepted into school with a 2.9 cGPA (bad start in undergrad) but my last 60 hours were like a 3.4. Even though they weren't the best stats, I made sure to improve my GRE. Some schools really care about the GPA while others look at you as a whole from your hours in different settings and GRE. With a 3.3 you've met the min. requirement, but will surely improve with two more classes to take. Retake that GRE and KILL the interviews when it comes around. Your hours are diverse and show your commitment to the application committee. Luckily your stats are good enough to get you the minimum requirements on PTCAS to have your application looked at. So, make sure your essay is solid and very personal.

Hello everyone,

Inpatient- 10 hrs

I was in your shoes, which is why I felt compelled to post. Your stats are right at that cut off point for some schools. I'll admit, with those stats, you're more likely to be accepted into a private school. Which is just fine (I was accepted into a private school) you just have to be okay with paying more in tuition. Private schools will cost you anywhere from 80-150k for 3 years of school. Public schools can be as low as 35-50k for the full 3 year program. Public schools are much cheaper making them naturally more competitive than other programs. Anyway.. i'm rambling...

As I said you had very similar stats to me. I had a 3.5 Pre-req GPA (after retaking a few classes) 3.2-3.4 CGPA and a 299 GRE. My strengths to my application was EXPERIENCE. I had interned with one of the PT's whom worked with all the collegiate athletes and also an assistant professor in the DPT program. Also had over 1000+ hours of shadowing hours through working as a PT tech, and shadowing in a few different inpatient and outpatient settings. Also a good personal statement goes a long way. These committee members read hundreds of essays. You want to make sure you stand out.

And lastly.. don't stress to much. I did, and I know everyone else on here will say the same. Just make goals for yourself during the application process, and stay on it. You'll be relieved when its over. Best of luck to you.

Had a 3.0cgpa and 3.3 pre-req gpa and had to retake multiple classes but I have 2500+ hours as a PT aide and 4000+ hours in other medical fields (emt, pharm tech, ER scribe). I applied and didn't get in but then applied a second time and was accepted early decision to TSU. I think the key is to show you're determined to be in the field however that may be, for me it was the hours and applying 2 times, for others its a 4.0 and still for some its how they speak in their personal statements. The best advice I can give is to not be deterred by your stats, apply again and again if you have to. Also be selective in the school you want to apply to, don't have a dream school have a dream career.

Had a 3.0cgpa and 3.3 pre-req gpa and had to retake multiple classes but I have 2500+ hours as a PT aide and 4000+ hours in other medical fields (emt, pharm tech, ER scribe). I applied and didn't get in but then applied a second time and was accepted early decision to TSU. I think the key is to show you're determined to be in the field however that may be, for me it was the hours and applying 2 times, for others its a 4.0 and still for some its how they speak in their personal statements. The best advice I can give is to not be deterred by your stats, apply again and again if you have to. Also be selective in the school you want to apply to, don't have a dream school have a dream career.

I appreciate it fellas.. comin back from The GRE at the moment and scores are still not great:/.... but I’m not goin anywhere. This is what I’m going to be:)

I appreciate it fellas.. comin back from The GRE at the moment and scores are still not great:/.... but I’m not goin anywhere. This is what I’m going to be:)

Great attitude, check out magoosh

Hello everyone,

Inpatient- 10 hrs

My Pre-req GPA was a 3.13, GRE was 300 AW 4, overall GPA 3.4, and 250 volunteer hours in total... I’m currently a first year student and I got accepted to over 5 schools! Have faith, nail the interviews, and you will be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
My Pre-req GPA was a 3.13, GRE was 300 AW 4, overall GPA 3.4, and 250 volunteer hours in total... I’m currently a first year student and I got accepted to over 5 schools! Have faith, nail the interviews, and you will be fine!
Which schools did you apply to??