What do you think of DMU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

ryouland

I was just wondering what you all thought of it?

Pros and Cons about the school, the people, how it compares to other schools, etc.

Thanks for your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Of the D.O. programs, DMU should be your top choice, esp. since you are from Iowa. DMU is a great school, and I'm glad that I had the chance to interview there.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are plenty of threads on DMU here. You should be able to get a great idea from those. Also the class threads tell you a lot. Especially the Class of 2010 and before - since they are students already enrolled!

Not to be mean, but why are you so sure you will get into DMU? They've waitlisted a lot of people this year with very nice stats.

Not to be mean, but why are you so sure you will get into DMU? They've waitlisted a lot of people this year with very nice stats.

I completely agree w/ this statement. DMU is a private institution where state of residence has absolutely no bearing on an acceptance whatsoever.

I thought DMU was a great school, but I didn't really like Des Moines so much, and it's a hassle for me ot get there. But since you're from there, it shouldn't be a problem for you. The school is amazing, the faculty seemed open and the students were very friendly.

... and also had nothing to do with my state of residence... I didn't even think about that to begin with.

I said I was pretty sure... the reason for that is I'm above average for most MD (and DO) schools.

Above what average? The applicant screening process is pretty complex so it just feels like you're jumping to conclusions based on scores. (I'm guessing you mean average as in GPA/MCAT)

Sometimes we are a little harsh when we think that pre-meds feel a sense of entitlement to get into certain schools. Several people on this forum have 30+ MCAT scores which is well above DO school averages and they have still been waitlisted. You are new and we shouldn't have jumped all over you.

My thoughts on DMU:

Good:
Awesome facilities and student study areas
Family friendly (if you have kids and/or spouse)
Nice work-out area
Nice admissions
Reasonable cost of living

Bad:
The school dodged questions about their rotations throughout the entire interview day, which lead me to believe that the rotations aren't the school's best selling-point. I think that the uncertainty of the rotations is the biggest drawback of the school. That's really my only complaint.
When the administration dodges questions during your interview day, pay attention. Every school I interviewed at did it to a certain extent.

Of the D.O. programs, DMU should be your top choice, esp. since you are from Iowa. DMU is a great school, and I'm glad that I had the chance to interview there.

And yet you chose KC over it, and voted for UMDNJ in my poll?! That confuses me.

My thoughts on DMU:

Good:
Awesome facilities and student study areas
Family friendly (if you have kids and/or spouse)
Nice work-out area
Nice admissions
Reasonable cost of living

Bad:
The school dodged questions about their rotations throughout the entire interview day, which lead me to believe that the rotations aren't the school's best selling-point. I think that the uncertainty of the rotations is the biggest drawback of the school. That's really my only complaint.
When the administration dodges questions during your interview day, pay attention. Every school I interviewed at did it to a certain extent.

Also good: 28 weeks of 4th year free electives
Even though there's some uncertainty on rotations, I think they are still at great locations.

Also bad (to me): Large class size.

KeyLime, every school I interviewed at dodged questions about something, too. DMU has dodged much less than others, I thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
KeyLime, every school I interviewed at dodged questions about something, too. DMU has dodged much less than others, I thought.

I wrote in my post that every school I interviewed at dodged questions about something. I wasn't only targeting DMU. I was telling the OP to pay attention to what the schools don't want to talk about.

I wrote in my post that every school I interviewed at dodged questions about something. I wasn't only targeting DMU. I was telling the OP to pay attention to what the schools don't want to talk about.

Yup - I got that. Wasn't arguing, just adding that I thought they dodged less than others.

Sorry Orthodoc, I shouldn't post when I'm in a bad mood. :oops:

Sorry Orthodoc, I shouldn't post when I'm in a bad mood. :oops:

It's okay - no worries. Happens to everyone. For the record, I think your advice is a very important consideration. Where are you going after all?

I would like to comment on DMU's rotations if anyone would like a little inside info:

First, the Des Moines sites; All of the Des Moines sites are excellent. All are really good size hospitals. There is also the option of working at the VA which many people find a unique experience. Like any school, 3rd & 4th year are going to be what you make of them. You could be at the best hospital in the US w/ the best residents, but if you don't put in the time & effort, you won't get anything out of it. It is also true that DMU is trying to develop more quality sites in Iowa so that students CAN stay in Iowa.

Outside sites; The word on the street is that some current sites are being pulled back. This is, however, in the best interest of the students b/c the Dean is huge about making sure students get the best education they can in the clinical years. That being said...I can almost gaurantee that Ohio & Michigan will continue to be options. There are tons of residencies & tons of established sites that are continually providing our students with quality education.

As far as large class size goes, it really isn't an issue. I came from a liberal arts college where I had ONE large class (Bio 110 w/ 95 people). All the rest of my classes were < 30 people. All of the Lecture Halls & the new Auditorium have excellent sound systems so it sounds like the professor is right in front of you.

All of the lectures (as I'm sure you've heard) are recorded on mp3 & you have access to all of the PowerPoints. This also negates the large class size b/c many people find that they would rather not come to class & listen to the mp3 on their own so that cuts attendance down significantly.

Great school, but the interview was horrible. (the doc that interviewed me made it very clear I had only the minimum number of science classes and spent the entire time watching the clock except of course when he answered his cell phone) Having said that, the school is great and the only weak point is the location of rotations.

One last thing I would like to point out...I noticed a few people making blanket statements about the high quality of the rotations. Have these individuals visited every rotation site in the Des Moines area and the other states DMU has rotations in???

I am from des moines, and am pretty sure I can get into DMU. I was just wondering what you all thought of it?

Pros and Cons about the school, the people, how it compares to other schools, etc.

Thanks for your input!!

Um...what other medical school has the "Mitochondrial Mist"..obviously DMU is top notch there...it was a no-brainer for me after that...:thumbup:

Great school, but the interview was horrible. (the doc that interviewed me made it very clear I had only the minimum number of science classes and spent the entire time watching the clock except of course when he answered his cell phone) Having said that, the school is great and the only weak point is the location of rotations.

One last thing I would like to point out...I noticed a few people making blanket statements about the high quality of the rotations. Have these individuals visited every rotation site in the Des Moines area and the other states DMU has rotations in???

Can't say that I have visited every site, Capt. Smarta$$. I do, however, have access to comments from all students in the 3-4 years for every site where they list the postives & negatives of EVERY site. I also reviewed the vast majority of these as I was trying to choose where I wanted to do my rotations the next 2 years.

Sorry for making such a blanket statement when I haven't been to every site. Also sorry you had a bad interview, but most of the docs I have interviewed with would never do that (not that it didn't happen) but I guess I should stop making blanket statements again.:thumbdown:

And you know they are weak how????? :rolleyes:

I would put our rotation spots against ANYBODY. Seriously.

It's okay, JBone. He/she is probably still upset about the rejection. He has absolutely no way of knowing the quality of DMU's rotations.

I actually heard another reassuring thing the other day. A couple U of Iowa (Top 15 med school) were telling some of us about how well prepared all of DMU's students are for rotations. I was pleasantly surprised how well thought of we are outside of the Des Moines community from other med schools. This was also outside of a school environment for the haters who are going to try to say that they had to say that.

On a lighter note, I must comment on the group that came through yesterday...FANTASTIC!! Man, we have had some sweet students comming through those doors. Hope your interviews went well and Kritter wasn't too mean. Great group of folks the 2011 class will have this year. Better than 2010??? Probably........................

will.

PatDO12 said the location of the rotations are weak, not the rotations themselves. I will probably be attending next year, and I also see this as a drawback.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get away rotations? Would it be easy for me to set up rotations around Minneapolis, Mayo, anywhere else that DMU does not typically send students?

And yet you chose KC over it, and voted for UMDNJ in my poll?! That confuses me.

Also good: 28 weeks of 4th year free electives
Even though there's some uncertainty on rotations, I think they are still at great locations.

Also bad (to me): Large class size.

Orthodoc, I liked DMU, but KC is a better fit for me. I would recommend DMU to others, esp. since the OP is from Iowa. However, for MYSELF, I would choose UMDNJ and KCUMB over DMU.

Orthodoc, I liked DMU, but KC is a better fit for me. I would recommend DMU to others, esp. since the OP is from Iowa. However, for MYSELF, I would choose UMDNJ and KCUMB over DMU.

Sure, that makes sense. Enjoy KC! :luck:

Wow, you guys need to grow up. I simply said the school was "great" but I had a bad interview experience, and the rotation locations (i.e. moving) was not a plus. I believe I tried to answer the topic of the thread.

p.s. You are naive if you truely believe you have the best rotations worldwide.

Wow, you guys need to grow up. I simply said the school was "great" but I had a bad interview experience, and the rotation locations (i.e. moving) was not a plus. I believe I tried to answer the topic of the thread.

p.s. You are naive if you truely believe you have the best rotations worldwide.

WHO EVER SAID YOU HAD TO MOVE??? Of course you know much more about DMU and their rotations than the actual DMU students. Right? I plan on sitting my fat little arse right here in Des Moines for the entire 4 years. You really need to get your facts right before you come off like some kind of expert. Best of luck to you wherever you go. But honestly, sorry you had such a bad interview here at DMU. That usually isn't the case and is not our intention when you get here.

And yes I am naive...thank you very much.
Probably told that to your interviewer while you were here huh?...not a good move. :D
Good luck to ya! :thumbup:

The facts are simple...DMU could not possibly supply everyone at DMU with both years of rotations in Des Moines (actually I think this applies to Iowa). One of my interviewers actually made a point of saying this and it is something they are working on. I believe currently the number of 3rd year rotations that were held in Des Moines area were around 50%. I know some people are anxious to leave the Des Moines area, but do you really think it is half of the class?
Yes, you are a student, but you haven't even started rotations yet. Another thing, why do they have 2nd year students in the interview room? Almost all the schools I have interviewed at (that have students conducting interviews) are 3rd and 4th year students. Are they all out of the state doing rotations...:laugh:

The facts are simple...DMU could not possibly supply everyone at DMU with both years of rotations in Des Moines (actually I think this applies to Iowa). One of my interviewers actually made a point of saying this and it is something they are working on. I believe currently the number of 3rd year rotations that were held in Des Moines area were around 50%. I know some people are anxious to leave the Des Moines area, but do you really think it is half of the class?
Yes, you are a student, but you haven't even started rotations yet. Another thing, why do they have 2nd year students in the interview room? Almost all the schools I have interviewed at (that have students conducting interviews) are 3rd and 4th year students. Are they all out of the state doing rotations...:laugh:

Wow, your are freakin brilliant!! Don't you think that in the 110 years that DMU has been in business, that maybe they would establish some pretty kick a$$ rotations?? But your right...we all rotate out of the 2 bed hospital in Porktown, Alaska. :rolleyes: Can't wait to move there!!
Our Ohio, Iowa, and Michigan spots are fantastic especially if your going surgery or want to specialize in something. BUT yes, I do have the OPTION to stay in DSM if I wanted to. There are quite a few of us that would actually love to travel around. That is why almost 95% or our second years get their #1 rotation choice. But then again, you knew that already. My bad.

BTW, They open interviews up for 1st-4th year students to give everyone a chance have a part/say in what goes on AT YOUR SCHOOL. I think this is fantastic and it really allows me to feel involved. Not a lot of schools allow this. But of course you know that already, since you've interviewed here so many times and sat down and talked with everyone. I think it is really becoming obvious why you had such a negative interviewing experience. Your such a charmer. Seriously, best of luck to you. Hope that "perfect" school jumps up and decides to take you one day.

About 3rd & 4th years not interviewing...

You must be completely oblivious to what 3rd & 4th are like if you think that our students would have a whole bunch of time to come back and interview. What do you think you do in years 3 & 4?? I don't know about other schools, but our 3rd & 4th years are working their asses off for 10-12 hours a day in the hospital. Where does this leave time to get off at 1200-1230 to come interview for admissions??

OH...and I am a second year so I can speak to the fact of what ACTUALLY happens in the lottery for rotations. I'm beginning to see why your interviewer answered his phone w/ the great personality coming out here...

Ohh SWEET!!!
Good bye UMDNJ - Hello DMU!!

Alaska? Mid-summer or early Spring rotation? :rolleyes: Although those high's in Des Moines these days make the temps here in Colorado seem balmy.