There is a link in my signature to the thread in the Mentor forum where I have posted some general information, and I will be happy to answer any specific questions. Stop by and say hi!
🙂
So are you still in school or do you currently work in industry? I was very interested in working in industry but kinda got turned off by it once I looked into it more. I wanted to be a MSL but most of the information I found said that I had to either start in sales, have work experience, or do a residency. If you do work in industry please give us some information.
I am doing a fellowship with a big pharmaceutical company. While I was at school, I have rotated with another big pharmaceutical company.
🙂 Being an MSL does require additional training, because it is such a large responsibility - essentially, they are working independently (though they do have support network at the home office), and they are responsible for developing contacts with opinion leaders across a significant therapeutic area. So if someone fresh out of school, with little real-world experience (and believe me, if rotations make you realize that you aren't quite prepared to face the world, it only gets worse after you receive your diploma and get kicked out of the protective walls of academia), they can damage the company's efforts across as many as 10 states - not maliciously, but simply because they aren't quite prepared to handle the responsibility. That's why generally MSLs have at least 3 years of experience within a related home-office position before they are allowed to work independently. Also, please refer to the thread in my signature to read a little about industry and ask more specific questions.
I work on the side for two of them. The pay's good. I don't think it's a stable field though (Pfizer Michigan closed, announced job cuts at Novartis...). It's kinda a tough paycheck right now if you want to have a family.
Well, being a part-timer you are always expendable, that's the law of the jungle. And Pfizer is being rather aggressive with their cuts in the workforce - no one quite expected their new CEO to take this approach... but even Pfizer is the one everyone loves to hate, they are a rather efficient machine.
🙂 Being a fellow I know I am in for just a year, but I know the previous fellows have all stayed with the company, and within the job function they were doing their fellowship - so I keep my hopes up. I am willing to transfer to another division or relocate if necessary.
🙂 Life is always harder when you cannot relocate and have to limit your options because of family obligations...