What do you think...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerbernator

Retired
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a disadvantage would I be at if I waited till MCAT scores were in to submit to some schools. I get 10 free aps from the FAP waiver, so i was thinking I would go ahead and submit those on the 1'st but wait till I see my MCAT score to apply to the other schools since i'd have a better idea of how competitive I am (i.e. if I get a 19J I dont stand much of a chance at Columbia). Input?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you took the test in April? If so, you should definitely wait to submit to all schools until you've seen your score. Reading SDN probably gives the impression that if you don't submit your app on June 1, you're totally f*cked. This is far from the case. You'll still be one of the first people to submit (out of the close to 40,000 applicants) if you do it in mid-late June. Your choices for schools could potentially change dramatically based on the results of your scores, for better or for worse. May as well just wait the extra 2 weeks, rather than waste your FAP apps on schools you may wish you hadn't applied to after receiving the scores.

Bones is right. Since AMCAS hasn't electronically transmitted your application to your schools until early July in the past, unless this year's different, there's not much difference between applying June 1 or mid June when your scores come out. Just wait.

One thing you should do right now though is print out the transcript request form and give it to your school so that they have your transcript ready to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Cerb,

What I plan to do is submit with one school as of June 1, so the processing starts, and then add schools in a few weeks once I know my scores.

Just my 0.02 :)

Treg

I have a better suggestion. Skip this application cycle entirely, move up to Worcester Mass., and we can train to be the US men's lightweight double. I figure we can make Worlds by 2007. Whattaya say?

Treg said:
What I plan to do is submit with one school as of June 1, so the processing starts, and then add schools in a few weeks once I know my scores.

Just my 0.02 :)

Treg

You might want to check with AMCAS... I don't think they actually start processing applications at the beginning of June (even though you're permitted to submit starting on June 1). Thus, it wouldn't make much of a difference to submit before or after MCAT scores are released. As said by another poster, they don't submit info to schools before mid-July anyway. Mid- to late-june should be plenty early. They're very quick at processing early in the summer. Good luck! :luck: