What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010323/hl/ethics.html

Med Students Face Ethical Dilemmas, Study Finds

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Although there is a growing emphasis on ethical studies in medical schools, once they are in the trenches, doctors-in-training often feel pressure from their superiors to act unethically, according to a report.

Medical student David Robertson from the University of Toronto in Canada and his more senior colleagues engaged 108 medical students in a study of the ethical dilemmas they faced while in training.

Nearly half of the students said they had felt pressure to act unethically at least on an occasional basis, the authors report in the March 24th British Medical Journal. An even greater proportion--61%--had witnessed unethical acts committed by one of their clinic teachers.

The ethical dilemmas students faced affected the foundation of patient care. For example, some students were instructed to perform pelvic or rectal examinations on patients under general anesthesia who had not given their consent for such exams.

Moreover, students were sometimes asked to give medical care they felt unqualified to give--including performing a prenatal exam or giving weekly psychotherapy without any supervision.

In addition, several students cited examples in which they had provided substandard medical care, such as giving painkillers to a woman in labor who had requested she receive no drugs.

``We hope that by learning to recognise and explore these ethical dilemmas, medical educators will be able to expose, and ultimately dismantle, deleterious aspects of the 'hidden curriculum' which currently hinder the ethical growth of medical students,'' the authors conclude.

Dr. Len Doyal of the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, UK, proposes moving beyond hope to policy. In an editorial, Doyal outlines a policy designed to eliminate the unethical practices cited in the report--including getting patients' ``explicit verbal consent'' before students can examine them.

Implementing such a policy, Doyal writes, ``requires the development of the moral character necessary for hospitals and medical schools to become sanctuaries of respect for human rights and dignity.''

Dr. Andrew West and colleagues from Oxford, UK, share this view. In their commentary, the doctors write, ``The medical profession urgently needs to learn respect for the living and for the dead, and thereby earn the public respect that is its lifeblood.''

SOURCE: British Medical Journal 2001;322:709-710, 685-686, 743.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been working in a hospital for 2 years, and have had the misfortune to work with one seriously ethically bankrupt physician. I try to minimize my contact with this individual as much as possible, but it really makes my work difficult, and makes me really unhappy in general -- I feel very compromised by this individual, but I find it nearly impossible to really do or say anything because of their position and contacts within the medical center. I have no doubt that this person will not be the last such individual that I will encounter throughout my training and career. Sad but probably true.

I actually refused to do pelvics on patients while they were anesthetized unless it was an appropriate part of the procedure. Frankly, I got more than enough practice in clinic by making an effort to see those patients, making it known that I expected to do the exams and be taught how to do them better. If I found myself lacking in technique or practice opportunities, I came into clinic on my off days.

I personally felt much better about getting permission to do these type of exams from a non-medicated, lucid patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kimberli,

I was thinking to myself that I'd have no problem refusing to do such procedures (being older seems to help in such situations), yet I wondered also about the consequences of such a refusal.

Can you say something about the negative consequences you experienced, if there were any?

Thanks,
Kris

The first couple of times I refused I got sort of a "well, its your education" and a shrug response. I explained my reasons and there wasn't a big fuss. They probably thought I was a lay-about slacker but I think as the terms went on people saw that that wasn't the case.

Like you, I think being older made me more comfortable in explaining myself in a calm fashion and standing up for my rights. I was fully prepared to offer to see more outpatients or patients on the wards if they thought I needed more practice. I think because it was apparent that I was in clinics, on the wards, doing everything that was asked of me, it wasn't a big deal.

My advice would be to play it by ear and by attending. Sometimes it might be worth it to go against your instincts (IF they aren't tightly held convictions)if it will create a huge to not do so. At my school, most of the Ob-Gyn department were female and seemed to share my thoughts on the matter and it wasn't a problem. It was the older attendings who had "offered" the chance.

I'd heard of students being encouraged to practice intubation and other things on DOAs in the ER. I frankly wouldn't want to do that either, but that's just me and my feelings about the subject. I would love to hear if other students had the same experience and how they handled it.

I have been interested in hearing what my non-medical friends had to say. For example, I was relating some incidences where I actually got to be the First Surgeon - from prep to close. Some friends were appalled that a student would get to cut, etc. "I wouldn't let them do that to me!!! I expect the boss to do it all!" was the typical response. Of course, these are all privately insured former sorority girls who are privileged not to have to go to County for their surgeries. When I explained that the attending was there most of the time (it was not unusual to be left alone in the Northern Territory while I was doing an I&D of an abscess; the "student's operation") that seemed to help, but I guess it might be common belief that students just watch. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Kimberli,
Thanks for posting another great reply. I've really been learning a lot from you. I think my greatest fears of med school are actually related to the politics, and your posts are particularly helpful for navigating that territory.

Thanks,
--kris (newest member of the kimberlicox fan club
wink.gif
)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by kris:
Kimberli,
Thanks for posting another great reply. I've really been learning a lot from you. I think my greatest fears of med school are actually related to the politics, and your posts are particularly helpful for navigating that territory.

Thanks,
--kris (newest member of the kimberlicox fan club
wink.gif
)

&lt;shuffle, shuffle&gt; Gee...I didn't know there was one? Do you guys get ID cards for your wallets and autographed pictures?
wink.gif

I'm glad I've been of some help Kris. I cannot say whether what works for me will benefit you, nor that my experiences will be the same for you.

I'm a pretty easy-going gal (most of the time) and didn't have too much difficulty with the "politics" of medicine. Its a matter of choosing your battles - I like to tell the story of a classmate that decided his battle would be over the fact that he was required to iron his clothes on Paeds (he had a habit of showing up for rounds looking like something the cat had drug in). This battle was ill-conceived and made the rest of his term miserable - he still stands by his decision but IMHO, getting a poor evaluation (describing arrogance and inability to take direction) is not worth being able to come in late and wrinkled. An extreme example, no doubt, but still a good one on the futileness of some battles.

A lot depends on where you go to school and how you handle yourself. In my experience certain classmates seemed to gather more abuse than others - sort of a scapegoat, if you will. If you are dedicated, curious, pleasant to be around, most of the politics won't touch you because you'll be give more lee-way than those who are argumentative, slackers. Its true what your gramma always said, "You can catch more flies...[and attendings]."

Just my two cents...