What do you think about this long-term step2 study plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilesDavisTheDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished M1 and started my summer last week. I've started to think about how I'm going to approach step2 because step1 will be pass/fail for me. I'm thinking about using the anking step2 deck to prepare for step2. There are about 16000 cards in the deck. Right now I've only unsuspended about ~500 cards. There are only about ~6000 cards in the step2 deck which are also in the step1 deck-ie. preclinical material. My plan for now until early next year (when my rotations will start) is to make my way through these 6000 cards. I'll then make my way through the other 10k during the rotations. Does this sound like a good plan? I'm interested in a competitive specialty and I'm going to have to dunk on step2 so give me any advice/ critiques you have that you think would lead to a better plan.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So this is the new Step 2 game. Start using and practice from Step 2 resources and Anki decks before entering clinical years?

I legit thought using Step 2 resources/Anki decks to study for shelfs and doing well on wards is more than plenty to excel on Step 2 but looks like i'm wrong

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So this is the new Step 2 game. Start using and practice from Step 2 resources and Anki decks before entering clinical years?

I legit thought using Step 2 resources/Anki decks to study for shelfs and doing well on wards is more than plenty to excel on Step 2 but looks like i'm wrong
Removing the stress associated with one aspect of medical education means shifting it to another lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a rising OMS-2 also, so I’ve been reading the P/F step 1 threads hoping to figure out what is “enough” to ensure I pass with ease, but also get a good foundation for step 2. So far my plan is to try and do really well in my year 2 classes (my school follows board material closely until around March of 2nd year), using board prep materials alongside class materials (BnB, FA, Pathoma, sketchy), along with a qbank to prep for Comsaes and in house exams (they give us true learn & I already have usmle-rx). Once dedicated starts I’ll switch to uworld, with the ultimate goal of getting 4,000-5,000 questions in before boards. I don’t think this is overkill but I don’t want to be stressed that I won’t pass either.

Agreed. Step 2 differs from Step 1 in a few ways that, in my opinion, reduce the necessity of ANKI... but everyone knows I own stock in Quizlet and come on SDN only to repeatedly bash ANKI.

1.) The error bars are wider than they were Step 1.
2.) It's more reasoning than knowledge of esoteric diseases/medical language/new material which is where spatially repeated flash card methods excel IMO
3.) There is no UFAP equivalent for Step 2 (yet) so I'm not sure what material people are using to make 1000s of these cards. OME and UW I'd imagine, but my test wasn't reflective really of either source.

I'm not saying Step 2 cannot be cracked by cards like Step 1. It's fundamentally spaced repetition which is the most efficient learning method. I just think there needs to be a more thoughtful approach to it rather than plug in your Step 1 plan and apply it to Step 2. I also think studying for Step 2 before you even know what's stressed in clinical years is a waste, but I guess everyone's free to do what they want with their time. I would at least wait until there's consensus on what the new best deck is. It may not be Zanki/AnKing as I'm sure those Anki worshippers are now in residency and aren't updating their material. Maybe someone can discuss that? I'll admit I'm not the best one to ask. The best people to ask I think are these people as they seem pretty knowledgeable on this stuff. These are people who're most likely going to do well and have prepped for the exam and can tell you what may be useful to do in your position OP:

@fldoctorgirl @ohmanwaddup @Thesimplelifeofamyloid @calivianya

Last edited:
I just finished M1 and started my summer last week. I've started to think about how I'm going to approach step2 because step1 will be pass/fail for me. I'm thinking about using the anking step2 deck to prepare for step2. There are about 16000 cards in the deck. Right now I've only unsuspended about ~500 cards. There are only about ~6000 cards in the step2 deck which are also in the step1 deck-ie. preclinical material. My plan for now until early next year (when my rotations will start) is to make my way through these 6000 cards. I'll then make my way through the other 10k during the rotations. Does this sound like a good plan? I'm interested in a competitive specialty and I'm going to have to dunk on step2 so give me any advice/ critiques you have that you think would lead to a better plan.

I'll chime in having finished all of Anking Step 1 (~31k at the time for me) and now all of Anking Step 2 (~15k). The strategy you've described is probably one of the better and more reasonable ones I've seen since Step 1 became p/f. If you're up for it, in addition to the 6000 step1 cards from Anking Step 2, do cards from Anking Step 1 related to Sketchy/Pathoma to help yourself in class, getting pimped on rotations, and whenever you take Step 1. Pace yourself at 50 new/day and you should have a manageable review count even when you get to rotations. There's a new deck that came out a few months ago I think called the Dip deck or something that is from Divine Intervention videos/podcasts. I think with time, if it proves itself to be a good deck, you can incorporate some of those cards as well. Anki is a huge grind but trust me when you get to dedicated for Step 1 or 2 you'll thank yourself you went through the effort throughout the year.

I’m taking step2 in a few days and took step1 a few weeks ago, I’ve done all of Anking as well. To be honest, outside of the strict biochem nitty gritty I’m struggling to think of step1 material and cards that isn’t tested in UW step2 to some extent. The more you do the better IMO

Last edited:
just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone else thought my plan is good

I like your plan, I think I will use it personally. I thought it was a waste of time to put so much effort into Step 1 when it is P/F. If you do well in your curriculum classes and actively do UWorld prior to step 1, I think that will be more than enough to pass. If you have any ideas please share.

Best way to study for step 2 is by doing well on step 1.

How do you do well on Step 1 if the only good score is pass
Ok ok best way to study for step 2 is by studying for step 1 (atleast as a second year)