What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anuwolf

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please dont start thinking that I'm coming here to bash the psychiatry field, that is not the reason why I'm here.

However just recently a local psychiatrists from my area was arreested for looking for sex online with an under age child.

This concerned me very much and it also question of how stable "some" psychiatrists really is.

When somebody is going to school to become a psychiatrists, what kind of mental exams do they use to see if the person is "sane" enough to actually start treating patients?

Heres the article and URL

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13048492/from/RSS/

WTVJ-TV
6:41 p.m. EDT May 30, 2006

MIAMI - A practicing psychiatrist was arrested Tuesday in an online sexual predator investigation. Dr. Jose Gustavo Valladares, who works at Jackson Memorial Hospital, was arrested after a two-month investigation in which a detective from Tequesta posed online as a 14-year-old girl.

"He had no idea that this was a 40-some-year-old man, a detective. He thought this was a little girl, and his intentions were not honorable," said Lt. Bill Schwartz, of the Miami Police Department.

Police said Valladares used a webcam to send "the girl" pictures of his genitals.

Valladares lives in a condominium on Coral Way, which police have searched. His case is similar to cases recently shown on Dateline NBC in which men expecting to hook up with teenagers are met instead by police and a Dateline camera crew, NBC 6's Ari Odzer reported. Miami police said, however, that Valladares is the only suspect in this case and that his arrest is not part of a larger investigation.

Valladares was charged with distribution of harmful material to a minor and online solicitation of a minor for sex.

Police said Valladares might also be charged with lewd and lascivious exhibition.

Representatives of Jackson Memorial Hospital, where Valladares is a senior resident in his last year of training, released a statement Tuesday afternoon.

"Everyone at Jackson Health Systems is extremely disturbed by the allegations. We take matters like this very seriously and have zero tolerance for anyone who might inflict harm on any other individual," the statement said.

"He certainly knows the emotional ramifications, the negative ramifications, to a child when they're exposed to this sort of thing, but yet he went ahead and did this. A psychiatrist is supposed to provide a safe space for his patients. I doubt that this shrink would get 'Doctor of the Year,'" Schwartz said.

Police said they are worried that Valladares might have had contact with real victims. Anyone who thinks their children might have had contact with Valladares is asked to call the Miami Police Department.

Members don't see this ad.

Anuwolf said:
Please dont start thinking that I'm coming here to bash the psychiatry field, that is not the reason why I'm here.

However just recently a local psychiatrists from my area was arreested for looking for sex online with an under age child.

This concerned me very much and it also question of how stable "some" psychiatrists really is.

When somebody is going to school to become a psychiatrists, what kind of mental exams do they use to see if the person is "sane" enough to actually start treating patients?

We're not inherently more sane and stable than your average cop, high school band director, scoutmaster, day care provider, or radiation oncologist.

As in all of these professions, the only "test" is to survive the intensive training , to be closely supervised in one's formative years, and to keep yourself accountable to others.

OldPsychDoc said:
We're not inherently more sane and stable than your average cop, high school band director, scoutmaster, day care provider, or radiation oncologist.

Someone needs to tell the hospital where he was employed:

http://www.altonmemorialhospital.org/amh_sharpfocus.aspx?page=PhysicianProfile&DrNo='1032532'

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible the boys fell off the balcony and he jumped? LIke out of shock or something - i KNOW that sounds ridiculous, you just always wonder what happened the seconds before death.

What an absolute tragedy, and what a shytty thing for the other doc to say "I guess he just didn't fit in here" YUCK - who would say something like that about someone after their death?

OldPsychDoc, I'm not trying to sound rude but if you're going to reply to my post at least fallow what I've posted.. don't hijack my posts. It's very inconsiderate.

Anuwolf said:
OldPsychDoc, I'm not trying to sound rude but if you're going to reply to my post at least fallow what I've posted.. don't hijack my posts. It's very inconsiderate.

Welcome to the psych forum where hijacking is open game here! :laugh:

Anuwolf said:

Excuse me, but I did directly reply to you.
Psychiatrists are no different than any other professional group.
The "tests" that you ask about are on-the-job training. There is no special testing to ensure that mental health professionals are any more or less sane that other equally well-trained individuals. There is a level of functioning inherent to ability to complete the training (undergraduate, med school, residency)--but still people with problems can "slip through"--witness the number of MDs with licenses revoked for alcohol or narcotics dependence, for example, or priests with sexual problems.

As a direct response to this post, I think oldpsychdoc's kid is cuter that Poety's...at this juncture..

psisci said:
As a direct response to this post, I think oldpsychdoc's kid is cuter that Poety's...at this juncture..

OH HELL NO YOU DIDN'T!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

+pissed+

psisci said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh S**T, no. You did NOT just say that!!!
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Activate fallout shelters!
Defcon 5!!!!
All South Carolina residents prepare for the Apocalypse!

(And BTW, psisci, Poety has already betrothed her daughter to my son in exchange for loan forgiveness considerations...so do not try your splitting games in this forum! :mad: )

OldPsychDoc said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh S**T, no. You did NOT just say that!!!
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Activate fallout shelters!
Defcon 5!!!!
All South Carolina residents prepare for the Apocalypse!

(And BTW, psisci, Poety has already betrothed her daughter to my son in exchange for loan forgiveness considerations...so do not try your splitting games in this forum! :mad: )

:laugh: The thunderstrikes have already started!

and YES --

HE IS THE BIGGEST SPLITTER THERE IS - THAT BORDERLINE BAHSTARD. :mad:

OPD, I was thinking, perhaps I shoulda done anethesiology- they're getting 250K with 17 weeks vacation - WTF? I wouldn't need loan forgiveness for that!

I am a lumper not a splitter...don't you know I am a touchy-feely bleeding heart psychologist. I may have advice for your bird Poety....... :D

psisci said:
I am a lumper not a splitter...don't you know I am a touchy-feely bleeding heart psychologist. I may have advice for your bird Poety....... :D

what advice? you're not a vet pfft

So, how many animals do you have poet?

Psyclops said:
So, how many animals do you have poet?

wayyyyy too many :oops: 7 total plus the CN :eek: