What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would u choose?

• Top tier DO school (such as MSU-COM or UMDNJ-SOM)

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • Low tier MD school (such as Howard or Meharry)

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

MDhopeful23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had the choice between going to a Top tier DO school or a low tier MD school (such as Meharry or Howard) which would you choose and why? If you choose to use the poll please explain why you chose what you did.

Members don't see this ad.

If you had the choice between going to a Top tier DO school or a low tier MD school (such as Meharry or Howard) which would you choose and why? If you choose to use the poll please explain why you chose what you did.

DO school. Overall, I think the philosophy toward medicine is more towards how I believe practicing medicine should be (an approach that views the patient in their entirety, not just focused on the disease or problem). Also, I think the OMM hours gives a better preparation for approaching patients during rotations, residency, etc. OMM also helps refresh my knowledge of anatomy every day, and is a helpful extra tool to have in order to help patients.

do school. Overall, i think the philosophy toward medicine is more towards how i believe practicing medicine should be (an approach that views the patient in their entirety, not just focused on the disease or problem). Also, i think the omm hours gives a better preparation for approaching patients during rotations, residency, etc. Omm also helps refresh my knowledge of anatomy every day, and is a helpful extra tool to have in order to help patients.
+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Top tier DO schools

From all the interactions with physicians (MD and DO) and adcoms I have had there is only a very small dying bias against DOs anymore. If its a high tier DO school I'd rather go there for the better reputation.

If thats not enough then I'll say I'd much rather be a well reguarded DO applicant than a low tier MD. However I think all schools offer you a chance to be the physician you want to become. You can still change history from a low tier school.

I wouldnt choose the school based on "tier" bc in my opinion that is very subjective. Ultimately where u go to residency is based on board scores more so than what tier school you go to (obviously some anti-DO bias exists, but higher scores should negate most of that) . I would go to the school where i feel more comfortable. Which location, school environment, financials, etc works best for me is the school i would go to. And some factors could outweigh others, like it could be awesome school but in a location i dont like, or a great school but just wayy too expensive (my loans will cap at 250K so have to find a school i can afford).

For example if i had gotten into the awesome MD school (which rejected me pre-secondary) 20 minutes from my house and a good DO school far way, i would have chosen the far away school bc im tired of living at home and know i would prob have to if i got in so close. But if that same school was located far away i would choose it bc the school has an awesome environment, good support etc...