You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What do you wear for the resident dinner the night before the interview?
Started by SugammadexRocks
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Casual as in jeans and a t-shirt? or business casual - dress shirt no tie, slacks? Thanks.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jeans are Ok. I wore a collared shirt usually, but you can get away with a t-shirt. Don't be that guy in a tie at the pre-interview dinner.
I always wore clinic clothes which is my definition of business casual. If you would wear it to clinic, it's fine. Worse case scenario, you are over-dressed and you can take off your tie (for guys). I hate being the most underdressed, even though that is my personality. If you are overdressed, you can make up for it with your fun-loving personality so they dont think u r a tool. and/or pull the tie...
Good luck!
Good luck!
I interviewed all over the country and don't recall anyone in a t-shirt or jeans. Regardless of what the program tells you, at the event the night prior to the interview, you are still "on," still interviewing, and still being appraised. At my program, we take the applicants to fairly high-end restaurants and the jeans/T would be out of place even outside the context of an interview. My experience in college, graduate school, the professional world, medical school, and now residency has led me to believe over-dressed is better than under. You're interviewing for the job you want, not trying to see how little you can get away with. Why handicap yourself?
What inner monologue are you having that would keep you from putting on a real shirt and decent pants? "Uncomfortable" in ties? No fashion sense? Can't afford "nice" stuff?
What inner monologue are you having that would keep you from putting on a real shirt and decent pants? "Uncomfortable" in ties? No fashion sense? Can't afford "nice" stuff?
No jeans. No T-shirt. No sneakers. Clinic clothes minus the tie should work well for most environments.
I plan to wear my white coat with a laryngoscope hanging out one of the pockets. It shows dedication and commitment.
not a bad idea Rock...I wonder if there is some way I can turn a laryngoscope into a hair accesory or body jewlery....hmmm.......
Strong work.
I plan to wear my white coat with a laryngoscope hanging out one of the pockets. It shows dedication and commitment.
What inner monologue are you having that would keep you from putting on a real shirt and decent pants? "Uncomfortable" in ties? No fashion sense? Can't afford "nice" stuff?
My inner monologue is wondering why you put quotes on everything.... I wanted to go in drag, does that count as "nice" stuff? 😉
I think i'm just falling victim to the popular trend in advertising to put quotes inappropriately on everything. I saw a sign yesterday for FREE "hamburgers!" what the heck does that mean? Are they hamburgers or aren't they?
And drag? If it's "tasteful?" Absolutely.
And drag? If it's "tasteful?" Absolutely.
I'm so ""cool"" that I quote my quotes.
I'm so ""cool"" that I quote my quotes.
But doesn't that negate the first quote... kind of like a double negative like "I can't not wear drag when I feel sexy?"
Peace,
John
you may be """right"""
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Slacks, collared shirt and a sweather. The sweater is the key. You come off looking fine whether everyone else is wearing jeans or ties.
I agree with a sweater. But add a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows. After dinner take out a pipe, put it in your mouth but don't smoke it. Refer to yourself as "the professor" all night. Use big words. Order brandy.
I may have said too much ... 😎
I may have said too much ... 😎
Strong work.
Case in point: When asked on an interview if that was a bougie in my pants or if I was excited to be there, I was able to honestly say yes! It won me style points, not to mention respect of all the male (and female 😍 ) residents!
A bougie? Those are rather long and very skinny. Telling tales on yourself with that one 😉
....and so is this guy...
Ah yes, I see my freeballing squirrel has caught your attention. 😀
If you brought him to the dinner on a leash, I bet EVERYONE would want to talk with you. Of course getting the collar on the squirrel may be easier said than done.

I agree with a sweater. But add a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows. After dinner take out a pipe, put it in your mouth but don't smoke it. Refer to yourself as "the professor" all night. Use big words. Order brandy.
I may have said too much ... 😎
That is actually a good idea...should I carry around a briefcase too?
The title says it all, I guess.... Thanks.
Thong bikini vis-a-vis Will Ferrell on the beach in that hilarious nightclub movie where he and his buddy were the ultimate bar-flys.....
Thong bikini vis-a-vis Will Ferrell on the beach in that hilarious nightclub movie where he and his buddy were the ultimate bar-flys.....
Night at the Roxbury.
i agree with above, but its important to intimidate the other applicants. casual sweater vest, white coat, new Barash book strapped to your back with ultra large zemuron fannypack.
I would say read what the emails/letters say and figure out the venue. At my interviews in NYC we went some places that were more fancy so I would dress appropriately, as opposed to my interview at Michigan where we went to Buffalo Wild Wings (after the interviews) and watched playoff football with the residents and the chair and attending, so thus, the atmosphere was a bit more "dress down).(by far my favoritey interview. damn i loved michigan! go there if you get the interview!).
i usually just wore what i wear to work everyday (like on the floors or to clinic). . .usually like black dress pants or skirt and a nice top. Guys wore like shirt & tie, nice pants (khaki's) sometimes a sport coat, sometimes not. But to echo what soon2B said, gauge the dress by the venue. All of my preinterview dinners were somewhat semi-formal, so that's what i can comment on.
wear your highschool lettermans varsity jacket and a ton of old spice
i wore ripped jeans and a U2 t-shirt to Yale's journal club last week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 46
- Views
- 7K