What do you wish you did in M1 for STEP 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fury

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything you wish you did in M1 to study for STEP (any resources, study strategies, (Z)Anki, UFAP, etc) and if you did well on STEP (whatever your definition of "well" is) what do you think attributed to your success?

Also my curricula is block system:

M1 is normal physiology: anatomy --> biology of cells and tissue --> organ systems --> infection

M2 is abnormal physiology: immunity disorders, neuro, system disorders

Anyone with a similar system have any tips for how to study for STEP?

Thanks so much in advance!

EDIT: 2 hrs later: lol pass/fail YIKES ig this post is hella irrelevant now

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As much as I'm loathe to say it, flashcards. Memorize the zanki that corresponds to your units as you're in them.

I didn't flashcard, and I paid for my sins with a miserable dedicated. I went from 210s --> 250s during dedicated, and did it entirely by frantically rote cramming UFAP factoids into my brain. My friends that had been on top of flashcarding were already in the 240s-250s at the start of dedicated and had a much chiller time of it. Anki isn't entirely sufficient to score well, you also need to be a good test-taker, and it also isn't entirely necessary (yet), but it's popular for a reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Well it’s pass fail now, so.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wish I’d known it’d be P/F. Would have probably shrugged off the first 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're in the first 2 years of med school currently, you have no idea when the score is being converted, so you still treat it like not p/f. when the simpletons that decide these things release another statement then perhaps you can decide to blow it off.

This thread aged poorly

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Nothing. Didn’t waste time or money on excessive resources. Uworld kaplan (do people still use this??) NBMEs and several run throughs of FA. Didn’t study on vacations or time off and only studied during dedicated time (4 weeks at end of 2nd year, ~8 hrs per day). My scores were above my goal but below my potential. I see a lot of wasted effort trying to get a 270 on step 1 thankfully this will soon be no more