What do your SO's/spouses do when you go to the caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the typical situation like for med students down there-those that are married or in serious relationships?

Members don't see this ad.

(this is Ross/Dominica, btw)
there is hiking, biking, diving, swiming, spouses club, activities associated with religious org. and other org. you can go island hopping, go to Roseau and look around. working at the bookstore is an option or the day school on campus.

But I mean more in terms of jobs? I'm assuming that its difficult to find jobs on the islands and pursue career goals, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
a spouse/SO is not allowed to work on Dominica. the visa laws do not permit. the only jobs they can work are on campus. those jobs consist of the bookstore, day school, and the occasional open position with-in the school's depts. if your spouse/SO is lucky (?) enough to get a job, dont expect to make any real money. i think the average pay when we were there was about $2-3 USD and hour.

a spouse/SO is not allowed to work on Dominica. the visa laws do not permit. the only jobs they can work are on campus. those jobs consist of the bookstore, day school, and the occasional open position with-in the school's depts. if your spouse/SO is lucky (?) enough to get a job, dont expect to make any real money. i think the average pay when we were there was about $2-3 USD and hour.

wow, thats good to know. I'm interested in getting other peoples opinions on this matter. For those in a serious relationship, i'm assuming that they just resort to a long distance relationship for two years? How often do people typically see each other?

The people who are from another country that study here are usually people that cover all their expenses with their money. The jobs here are (most of them) with bad salary.:eek:
You can also try to work as an english teacher, but how could you do that if you are always with stuffs to do on the university (study study study:scared: )?. But u can always push yourself a littler more if u need to work, It depends on wich university you are and if you take all the courses of the semester.

Its very easy for american to get to study here.:cool:

SGU has an SO club. Significant Other.

My wife came down for the 2nd term. She would hike, run, swim, lay by the pool, go on hash runs, etc. There were positions available trough SGU for administrative support, but mostly there was bake sales and babysitting. She had a great time. Many SO's do volunteer work with schools or orphanages. We were there in 96-97, so this is dated information.