What does 3.7 mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noomm

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering this because I have a 3.65. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be considered a 3.7, but what about a 3.68?

Or is a 3.7 anything above 3.7 (ie 3.7-3.79)?

Members don't see this ad.

(666 x [Goro/AlteredScale] + # of active users ) / 42 = 3.7

SDN is illuminati confirmed

Reactions: 9 users
I would say 3.7 (assuming you are talking about the GPA for a competitive applicant to med school) should be looked at as 3.70. Anything above 3.70 is a competitive GPA. Anything below does not meet the cut just because there are so many applicants. However, it is still good enough for many schools.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you are asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say 3.7 (assuming you are talking about the GPA for a competitive applicant to med school) should be looked at as 3.70. Anything above 3.70 is a competitive GPA. Anything below does not meet the cut just because there are so many applicants. However, it is still good enough for many schools.

3.70 is good enough for any school.

And for the OP, if someone says "You should have at least a 3.7 to apply to Y SOM", obviously it means "approximately" 3.7+. If it's 3.9, great. If it's 3.7, great. If it's 3.68, well, you're close enough that it doesn't matter, it might as well be a 3.7.

(This doesn't stand for schools which prescreen, I assume. If the computer program screens at 3.7 precisely -though no medical school would screen for such a high GPA in this country- then you're out of luck with your 3.68.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OP is wondering how GPAs are rounded when only looking at one decimal place

If you don't know how to round numbers, you have no business going to medical school. Sorry.

Treat it the same as any other number when rounding, really.

Reactions: 1 user
Three and seven tenths. 3 7/10. 37/10 (in improper fraction).

2/10 post :).

Now THIS is a hilarious post!