what does a 4yr categorical prgm consist of?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foodcoma

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do 4 yr (categorical) anesthesia programs have an intern (i.e. medicine) year built in, or do you do all four years of gas?

Members don't see this ad.

foodcoma said:
do 4 yr (categorical) anesthesia programs have an intern (i.e. medicine) year built in, or do you do all four years of gas?

The first year is designated as a "Clinical Base Year" and can be thought of as an attached Transitional Year, usually tailored more to your future in anesthesiology. For instance, my CBY consists of two surgical sub-specialties, MICU, SICU, PICU, pulmonary med, ENT, EM, etc. The idea is to provide you with a more useful internship year with regards to your career, although one could certainly make a strong argument for a prelim medicine or surgery year just as easily. That being said, I'll take my one month of IM wards over a full year anyday.

ROC (or whatever the residency guideline body is called) only allows one month of anesthesia during your intern year. This is done in any variety of ways. We do two months of anesthesia during our categorical year, but make the other month up in the SICU as an upper level. UTMB residents correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they do up to 6 months of anesthesia their first year and then make up those months their second year. (Awesome intern year, painful 2nd year)

Most programs are set up like Trisomy described. Categorical programs are usually designed to make intern year as applicable as possible. BTW, that is a pretty good intern year Trisomy.