Question on strategies for ranking both categorical and advanced programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesthesia23

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm an MS4 applying to anesthesia programs and had a question about how the rank list works. I've heard TY and prelim years are getting more and more competitive. So my question is, if I match into an advanced spot but fail to match into a PGY1 spot, will my rank list just move down to a lower categorical spot, or will I have to SOAP for a PGY1 spot?
In other words, imagine my rank list looked like this:

1) advanced program at hospital A
-prelim program X
-prelim program Y
-prelim program Z
2) categorical program at hospital B

If I theoretically matched into my #1 program (hospital A) but failed to match into prelim programs X, Y, or Z, would the algorithm bump me to match into hospital B's program which I ranked lower but is categorical? Or would I still match into hospital A's advanced program and be forced to SOAP for a prelim spot? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm an MS4 applying to anesthesia programs and had a question about how the rank list works. I've heard TY and prelim years are getting more and more competitive. So my question is, if I match into an advanced spot but fail to match into a PGY1 spot, will my rank list just move down to a lower categorical spot, or will I have to SOAP for a PGY1 spot?
In other words, imagine my rank list looked like this:

1) advanced program at hospital A
-prelim program X
-prelim program Y
-prelim program Z
2) categorical program at hospital B

If I theoretically matched into my #1 program (hospital A) but failed to match into prelim programs X, Y, or Z, would the algorithm bump me to match into hospital B's program which I ranked lower but is categorical? Or would I still match into hospital A's advanced program and be forced to SOAP for a prelim spot? Thanks in advance for any insight!
FYI, these days many/most med students prefer categorical positions for exactly the reason you posted. Some will even rank lower tier Categorical programs higher than mid tier advanced spots just to avoid dealing with the PGY-1 year issue. Now, I am not recommending you change your rank list but at least give the situation some consideration.