What does a CV look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For schools that require an uploaded copy of a CV, what does it contain? Under each listing do i write a brief description of my duties performed like in a resume, or am i just simply listing the organization i worked/volunteered at, my position there and the dates? And how long are they usually? Can they be more than one page or should they be like a resume and be only one page?

Members don't see this ad.

Search for samples in google. Search for such things as "pre-med cv", "medical residency cv", "graduate student cv". Normally a CV, just like a resume, is one page, unless you have extensive research.

Search for samples in google. Search for such things as "pre-med cv", "medical residency cv", "graduate student cv". Normally a CV, just like a resume, is one page, unless you have extensive research.

I have already done a search on google, and they all seem very different and too detailed. I am not sure that is what schools want...or maybe they do? Can someone that has experience with writing one please respond with some feedback...

Members don't see this ad :)
CVs look different depending on the experience of the person writing them.

For a pre-med, I would suggest writing it like a resume, but with more clear divisions. These are some common subheadings:

-Degree / College Information
-Research Experience
-Publications / Presentations / Awards
-Teaching Experience
-Leadership / Community Service Experience
-Employment Experience

You can add or subtract from those categories as needed.

For each item, you typically add the name, location, and time frame of the experience with a brief description.

For schools that require an uploaded copy of a CV, what does it contain? Under each listing do i write a brief description of my duties performed like in a resume, or am i just simply listing the organization i worked/volunteered at, my position there and the dates? And how long are they usually? Can they be more than one page or should they be like a resume and be only one page?

As a pre-med you won't have much on your CV.

It's basically a resume but with a section each for presentations, awards, publications, etc. You want to include anything academic or related to your chosen profession.

My CV is longer than my resume. About 4 pages of opportunities and their descriptions as opposed to a page of just opportunities...

My CV is longer than my resume. About 4 pages of opportunities and their descriptions as opposed to a page of just opportunities...

4 pages sounds a bit much

my CV is about 3 pages.
organization:
heading
education
awards
research experience
work experience
volunteer experience and other activities.

I don't have any descriptions in mine, just time frame and position title. I like the very simple format, I modified my old PIs format slightly. Then again I think it only works because I've been out of school for a few years.

cvsample.jpg

I don't have any descriptions in mine, just time frame and position title. I like the very simple format, I modified my old PIs format slightly. Then again I think it only works because I've been out of school for a few years.

cvsample.jpg

I don't have a bibliography. Most of my stuff needs to be explained.

Papers I worked on during research, what my roles were, etc.

Putting Artist doesn't say very much if it's time and date. Putting in artist and mentioning that one of my projects has received a lump sum of profits tells that I'm not putting it on just to say that I paint or draw, but to demonstrate that people invest in the stuff I paint or draw.

A CV is what you're resume would look like if it weren't limited to one page. Mine is about 7 and includes full references for projects/papers/publications. You will still want it to have a nice "eye-pleasing" layout though.

A CV is what you're resume would look like if it weren't limited to one page. Mine is about 7 and includes full references for projects/papers/publications. You will still want it to have a nice "eye-pleasing" layout though.

Tree-killing excessiveness! I was told to keep it to 4-5 max :eek: