What does a typical med school financial aid package look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VAhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say I get into med school and tuition is $30K per year (in-state). Living expenses of $15K?

What would a typical financial aid package look like?

And what is the availability of outside financial aid that isn't need dependent? Private loans, for instance. Do they care what I use that money for? (Gotta pay the mortgage...)

Members don't see this ad.

If you qualify for federal aid (probably will), most of your package will be a small subsidized Stafford loan, maybe a small Perkins loan, and a large unsubsidized Stafford loan. Some schools can offer a more attractive institutional loan over the unsub Stafford. Duke and Wash U are two of the unique ones that'll outright give you substantial grant money as well. Your financial aid package will give an allowance per month for living expenses that will include rent and such that varies on the cost of living in your region.

I know you probably misspoke, but don't pay a mortgage with a student loan. If you're going to school without money from the folks, it's best you don't try and buy any real estate during school.

There are plenty of private loans out there, but if you live smartly, your school's financial aid package should cover your need.

Some private schools like Northwestern, UChicaho, Vanderbilt etc give out a full ride if your application really stands out.